Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   eBay craziness (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330273)

Snapolit1 01-14-2023 08:25 AM

eBay craziness

I sell a relatively small amount of cards on eBay and 98% of them go off without an issue. But once in a while ..... sheesh ....

Last night I had a sale end while I was in a play. Friday night. Turn phone on and see card (modern football, from a break) has sold for $140. There are literally 13 messages from the buyer. Asked me if I had shipped. Other craziness. Mind you, he paid. First few were literally like hey I'm the buyer ... would like to have a discussion off line ..... all sort of jokes I didn't understand. Went on and on about how could we get in touch off line. I responded once and said thanks for the payment, shipping tomorrow. Figured maybe the guy was drunk or high and was amusing himself. Woke up this morning to like 6 more eBay messages. Wanted to connect by Insta, which I don't have, all sorts of cryptic messages I couldn't understand. Verybizarre. Maybe guy was hitting the Oxys and Jack. Was so bizarre in that I couldn't make heads or tails of any of it.

BobbyStrawberry 01-14-2023 12:45 PM

What were the cryptic messages? It may have been an attempt to connect with you off of ebay while bypassing their filters.

BobC 01-14-2023 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2304201)
What were the cryptic messages? It may have been an attempt to connect with you off of ebay while bypassing their filters.

Good point. But the frequency and number of messages still makes it seem a bit odd regardless, no?

BobbyStrawberry 01-14-2023 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2304218)
Good point. But the frequency and number of messages still makes it seem a bit odd regardless, no?

Oh, absolutely - I was just thinking about similar messages I've received, with things like a phone number embedded in nonsense text. I figured that what I was, anyway.

D. Bergin 01-14-2023 02:10 PM

I've gotten the, "I like your card, will you take such and such amount? .. contact me on Insta.", before.

I essentially responded (paraphrasing), "How the hell to I do that?"

They responded (paraphrasing), "Duh, it's the same handle as my ebay handle".

I actually would have taken their offer and went to the trouble of marking it down just for them on Ebay, but never heard from them again after doing so. :confused:

Snapolit1 01-14-2023 09:13 PM

Some of it was an attempt to meet off eBay but some other stuff was just like a person amusing themselves. Have to guess some mental illness. Just one more message today. Something peculiar about really not needing the cards index no. No clue.

swarmee 01-15-2023 06:22 AM

I know plenty of sellers who would add that person to their block list immediately and just cancel the sale.

mrreality68 01-15-2023 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2304447)
I know plenty of sellers who would add that person to their block list immediately and just cancel the sale.

I have seen some do that also

I do not mind if they attempt an offline sale but if they keep sending odd messages and I do not get it then i just move on

Snapolit1 01-15-2023 01:25 PM

On block list.

QUOTE=swarmee;2304447]I know plenty of sellers who would add that person to their block list immediately and just cancel the sale.[/QUOTE]

BobbyStrawberry 01-15-2023 02:05 PM

Am I correct that on ebay, a blocked bidder can still send you messages? I'm pretty sure that's happened to me...

bnorth 01-15-2023 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2304577)
Am I correct that on ebay, a blocked bidder can still send you messages? I'm pretty sure that's happened to me...

I had it happen to me. They could still message me through a recent purchase before I blocked them. Then after a short time eBay must have stopped them from sending more or nutty Mathew would have sent more.

BobbyStrawberry 01-15-2023 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2304581)
I had it happen to me. They could still message me through a recent purchase before I blocked them. Then after a short time eBay must have stopped them from sending more or nutty Mathew would have sent more.

That's annoying - seems like something they could fix if they wanted to. Another thing that bugs me is that they allow bidders from excluded shipping locations to bid on items - or at least in my case that's happened a bunch of times.

swarmee 01-16-2023 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2304585)
That's annoying - seems like something they could fix if they wanted to. Another thing that bugs me is that they allow bidders from excluded shipping locations to bid on items - or at least in my case that's happened a bunch of times.

Many foreign buyers have US shipping addresses, like COMC Mailboxes, Shipmycards, etc. So eBay restricting people by country doesn't make a ton of sense, since people can have addresses in multiple countries.

mrreality68 01-21-2023 07:37 AM

I really used and enjoyed eBay years ago.

But all the changes and the ways people use eBay. And how many items are put on sale with a price super high and the same item is posted for years seems like some people use it just to display their cards
Especially frustrating when they are some amazing cards likes this that we want