Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA has stopped accepting submissions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299555)

buymycards 03-30-2021 04:49 PM

PSA has stopped accepting submissions

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...ate-april-2021

sportscardpete 03-30-2021 04:52 PM

SGC has a chance to really step it up. Especially with modern.

JollyElm 03-30-2021 04:53 PM

Is that something from 'The Onion,' or is it real? :rolleyes:

Peter_Spaeth 03-30-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 2087557)
SGC has a chance to really step it up. Especially with modern.

Do they have excess capacity as they are presently figured?

conor912 03-30-2021 05:18 PM

Wow. Three months. The ripple effects might be interesting. I’m also not sure if a moratorium on new subs is the answer. There are enough devout PSA addicts that will just save up their cards rather than sub to a different TPG. PSA could see a tidal wave come July 1 and be right back where they started....

Jcosta19 03-30-2021 05:33 PM

Still accepting super express and above and plan a tiered reopening of lower services. Something had give I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Exhibitman 03-30-2021 05:39 PM

Well if everyone had just worn their face masks

:D

Guess it is time to raise the prices of all PSA-graded cards to reflect the coming drought.

Peter_Spaeth 03-30-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2087574)
Well if everyone had just worn their face masks

:D

Guess it is time to raise the prices of all PSA-graded cards to reflect the coming drought.

I think they literally have a two year backlog wouldn't worry yet about a drought. :cool::eek:

buymycards 03-30-2021 05:52 PM

The Onion

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2087558)
Is that something from 'The Onion,' or is it real? :rolleyes:

I receive an email from The Onion every day and I haven't seen any articles about PSA.

https://www.theonion.com/?utm_source...ign=2021-03-30

Rhotchkiss 03-30-2021 06:07 PM

I think PSA saw my post bashing them on the BODA thread and decided to shut down.... man I am good! :p

SGC has a real shot. I am a fan of SGC and prefer them to everyone, but in my experience they seem to always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

BTW- the Onion started in Madison, WI - Go Badgers!

Peter_Spaeth 03-30-2021 06:11 PM

How many graders/employees does SGC have?

Jcosta19 03-30-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2087590)
I think PSA saw my post bashing them on the BODA thread and decided to shut down.... man I am good! [emoji14]

SGC has a real shot. I am a fan of SGC and prefer them to everyone, but in my experience they have seem to always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

BTW- the Onion started in Madison, WI - Go Badgers!

I worry this is going to cause a severe increase in submissions to SGC causing a repeat of their excessive wait times.

I suspect that lots of modern submissions will still avoid them (at least I selfishly hope so, so it doesn't take me 4 months to get back my modest 2 to 7 card submissions).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rhotchkiss 03-30-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2087592)
How many graders/employees does SGC have?

No clue, but I am sure it’s a significantly smaller outfit than PSA (and yet they do a much better job)

Peter_Spaeth 03-30-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2087595)
No clue, but I am sure it’s a significantly smaller outfit than PSA (and yet they do a much better job)

PSA has close to 800 employees, SGC can't be more than a small fraction of that I would think? I would be surprised if they had the physical capacity -- or frankly the desire -- to massively upgrade the size of their operation.

So if you're a younger collector/flipper now where do you go with all your Acunas and Sotos and first year prospects and Prizm commons?

Santo10Fan 03-30-2021 06:21 PM

SGC Chief Grader today:

https://media.giphy.com/media/Hm3ZMI68o17os/giphy.gif

ullmandds 03-30-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2087598)
I would be surprised if they had the physical capacity -- or frankly the desire -- to massively upgrade the size of their operation.

So if you're a younger collector/flipper now where do you go with all your Acunas and Sotos and first year prospects and Prizm commons?

i tend to agree with this, Pete. I don't think the desire is there?

Peter_Spaeth 03-30-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2087603)
i tend to agree with this, Pete. I don't think the desire is there?

I don't either.
Think about it though. Suppose this isn't just a short term move by Nat Turner but a long term plan to position PSA as more of a high end, high dollar grader than a low dollar mass grader. Maybe he sees more of an opportunity to flip the company, or do another IPO, in that posture. Maybe the economics are better who knows. Grading and mostly by PSA has become the norm for all sorts of cards that in the past we never would have dreamed of grading or buying graded. Do we go back to that or does someone else take up the slack.

bnorth 03-30-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2087595)

I agree they do a WAY better job from my personal experience.

They seem to be getting getting submissions back very fast right now. Anybody have any guesses on if it is because they are doing a great job or just getting WAY WAY less submissions than everyone else.

Peter_Spaeth 03-30-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2087606)
I agree they do a WAY better job from my personal experience.

They seem to be getting getting submissions back very fast right now. Anybody have any guesses on if it is because they are doing a great job or just getting WAY WAY less submissions than everyone else.

The overwhelming majority of PSA subs are modern stuff and mostly stuff not worth a hell of a lot. People are subbing to get 10s on cards that aren't worth shit raw. SGC isn't getting any of that.

Johnny630 03-30-2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2087608)
The overwhelming majority of PSA subs are modern stuff and mostly stuff not worth a hell of a lot. People are subbing to get 10s on cards that aren't worth shit raw. SGC isn't getting any of that.

+1

swarmee 03-30-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2087606)

I believe they posted that they ramped their staff up from like 15 last year to like 70 right now.

ullmandds 03-30-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2087604)
I don't either.
Think about it though. Suppose this isn't just a short term move by Nat Turner but a long term plan to position PSA as more of a high end, high dollar grader than a low dollar mass grader. Maybe he sees more of an opportunity to flip the company, or do another IPO, in that posture. Maybe the economics are better who knows. Grading and mostly by PSA has become the norm for all sorts of cards that in the past we never would have dreamed of grading or buying graded. Do we go back to that or does someone else take up the slack.

certainly possible...the value of PSA slabs will go up with them harder to get. But I agree they could rebrand themselves and by doing so leave the past behind!!!!!!!

Arazi4442 03-30-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

PSA should just split into two branches. PSA Modern (anything less than 3 years old) and PSA Classic (everything else). I’ll bet the subs to PSA Modern would be 10 to 1 vs. Classic, then set prices and lead times accordingly.

Follow the genius brand marketing of 1980s Coca-Cola.

You could get your vintage graded quickly and the guys trying to flip PSA 10s of 2020 Anthony Rendon base cards would still have a wait.

Touch'EmAll 03-30-2021 07:51 PM

Any thoughts if the current crazy market prices might be pushed even higher for PSA stuff in general ? I'm gonna hesitantly say, yes.

Johnny630 03-30-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Modern Garbage is going to Tank.

Higher End Vintage Super Stars 6-8 will Dominate

bnorth 03-30-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2087643)
Modern Garbage is going to Tank.

Higher End Vintage Super Stars 6-8 will Dominate

My guess would be the opposite of this.

New is going to stay a overpriced game of hot potato.

After we all get out of the house the insanely overpriced vintage will drop back to before the Covid run up in prices. Except Mantle, he will remain extremely overpriced.

sportscardpete 03-30-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2087649)
My guess would be the opposite of this.

New is going to stay a overpriced game of hot potato.

After we all get out of the house the insanely overpriced vintage will drop back to before the Covid run up in prices. Except Mantle, he will remain extremely overpriced.

I’m not sure I buy this. You think everyone who entered the hobby leaves?

I think there is too much cash in the system and I also think social media has made card collecting cool again.

bnorth 03-30-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 2087651)

I think there is too much cash in the system and I also think social media has made card collecting cool again.

Yes I do think they all leave when they can go back to the things they found to be way more fun before. I could be wrong and it would be far from the first time.:D

steve B 03-30-2021 10:02 PM

Well, I guess that solves my problem about having a couple packs graded...

Casey2296 03-30-2021 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 2087651)

Agreed. Did you catch Barret-Jackson last week? Thursday and Friday usually pretty sedate, this year it was weekend prices from the get go, 75k cards going for 200k, the commentators were blown away. This isn't going to end until it ends badly.

Stampsfan 03-30-2021 11:58 PM

Is there another business out there that actively and consciously shuts its doors to more customers / sales?

glynparson 03-31-2021 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 2087714)
Is there another business out there that actively and consciously shuts its doors to more customers / sales?

Yes anything that has a limited preset number. Happens in collector issue physical media all the time. They’ll issue say 1000 units but there are 3000 people that want one instantly and they now it but creating an after market helps them sell the next release and so on.

Johnny630 03-31-2021 04:50 AM

This is a positive for the collector of non-graded raw cards, they will become more affordable. Why? Because there is now less upside potential for someone to score with grading a card bought raw. Raw Card Prices should become more affordable.

PSA, it is my belief, 100% is making the right move here.

bobbyw8469 03-31-2021 04:59 AM

Since I have done a few bulk subs to help out the members here at Net54, I figure I will add my two cents worth. This move was LONG OVERDUE!!! I have a sub outstanding since LAST AUGUST!!!! Let that sink in. Having member wait almost a year to get their cards back is unheard of. I hope this will help clear up their backlog some. I was only going to sub under quarterly specials anyway, as I think the $20 price point to get a card graded in ENTIRELY too high. Unless you hold one of those recent "lottery winners", it makes no sense.

TobaccoKing4 03-31-2021 05:39 AM

I was just about to put in a bulk sub on April 1st, I was just waiting to see the new quarterly specials:rolleyes:

yanks87 03-31-2021 05:57 AM

no more quarterly specials

Looks like quarterly specials are now shut down as well. I guess it works out well, since I am still waiting on submissions from last June, as well as a couple of others. Maybe by fall turnaround times will get back to "normal", it will be interesting to see if pricing follows suit!

Leon 03-31-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks87 (Post 2087752)
Looks like quarterly specials are now shut down as well. I guess it works out well, since I am still waiting on submissions from last June, as well as a couple of others. Maybe by fall turnaround times will get back to "normal", it will be interesting to see if pricing follows suit!

Have you ever seen prices go down? Maybe for a blip but not much at all. My guess is prices for grading goes up. New owners and all....

Johnny630 03-31-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2087764)
Have you ever seen prices go down? Maybe for a blip but not much at all. My guess is prices for grading goes up. New owners and all....

Agree I expect higher pricing for grading when things open back up. Totally understandable and acceptable to me.

bobbyw8469 03-31-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2087766)
Agree I expect higher pricing for grading when things open back up. Totally understandable and acceptable to me.

It is and it isn't. We will see how the supply/demand curve reacts. I know I have a ton of raw cards just waiting to go somewhere.

sportscardpete 03-31-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

The biggest regret former Starbucks CEO Howard Shultz had was to not slow down growth for a few months and fix some of the operational issues the company had. It took years for him to eventually fix those problems.

Exhibitman 03-31-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arazi4442 (Post 2087628)
the guys trying to flip PSA 10s of 2020 Anthony Rendon base cards would still have a wait.

Who is "Anthony Rendon"?

edhans 03-31-2021 07:58 AM

Re: PSA has stopped accepting submissions

362 new employees in the last 14 months. Wonder how many of them can spot a fake or altered card or tell the difference between an e120 and a w573.

bnorth 03-31-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edhans (Post 2087792)
362 new employees in the last 14 months. Wonder how many of them can spot a fake or altered card or tell the difference between an e120 and a w573.

LOL, less than zero but don't worry they will still sell for more in their slab.:eek::rolleyes:

mark evans 03-31-2021 08:14 AM

A month or so ago I sent an e-mail to SGC suggesting that it establish an on-site grading service whereby a team of employees would travel to major cities and grade cards on the spot (or maybe with a one-day layover, whatever). My thinking was that there are likely many collectors like myself who wish to have cards graded but would prefer not to have to send them off and then wait a substantial period for their return. I received no response.

I now wonder whether this suspension by PSA doesn't offer an opportunity for SGC (or Beckett or someone else) to institute, or test out, such a service and thereby increase revenues or maybe even grab a portion of PSA's market share.

Rich Klein 03-31-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark evans (Post 2087801)
A month or so ago I sent an e-mail to SGC suggesting that it establish an on-site grading service whereby a team of employees would travel to major cities and grade cards on the spot (or maybe with a one-day layover, whatever). My thinking was that there are likely many collectors like myself who wish to have cards graded but would prefer not to have to send them off and then wait a substantial period for their return. I received no response.

I now wonder whether this suspension by PSA doesn't offer an opportunity for SGC (or Beckett or someone else) to institute, or test out, such a service and thereby increase revenues or maybe even grab a portion of PSA's market share.

I believe that was the original point of Beckett Raw Card Review. Your card would get graded but not encapsulated and then for a couple of extra dollars it could go to the home office for the encapsulation. That way, you knew the grade of the card and if anything occurred everyone was on the same page.

Rich

bnorth 03-31-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2087809)
I believe that was the original point of Beckett Raw Card Review. Your card would get graded but not encapsulated and then for a couple of extra dollars it could go to the home office for the encapsulation. That way, you knew the grade of the card and if anything occurred everyone was on the same page.

Rich

The Beckett raw card review was a complete joke. It was just an on site opinion that meant nothing other that a discount when they actually graded it. To be clear the grade on the Raw Card Review did not mean it was the grade they would give it when actually grading it.

conor912 03-31-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Any good bbq place.

Peter_Spaeth 03-31-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 2087814)
Any good bbq place.

Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded.

Leon 03-31-2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2087818)
Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded.

One of my fave meals is BBQ. In Texas it is just a fact. That said. have yawl seen how much BBQ has gone up recently? You would think they are in the grading business!

To answer Ed's question above, 0 graders will know the difference between an E120 and W573. They look the same on the front, ya know...

Rich Klein 03-31-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2087811)
The Beckett raw card review was a complete joke. It was just an on site opinion that meant nothing other that a discount when they actually graded it. To be clear the grade on the Raw Card Review did not mean it was the grade they would give it when actually grading it.

Actually it was supposed to be the same grade.

Rich