Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   87-88 Fleer Factory Set? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=324521)

hharm3 09-05-2022 07:56 PM

87-88 Fleer Factory Set?

My set is wrapped in plastic. I have no idea if it's factory or if it was shrink wrapped by someone who hand-built it. The plastic is just clear, no branding or markings at all. If it's just something a dealer put on I'll remove the plastic and free the boys, otherwise, they're doomed to stay wrapped for eternity.

https://i.imgur.com/f7s9vAx.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Wolfgang427 09-06-2022 02:20 PM

No such thing as a Factory set for 87 Fleer Bsk set.

hharm3 09-06-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang427 (Post 2261090)
No such thing as a Factory set for 87 Fleer Bsk set.

Thank you. That was what I expected but I had never seen a hand-built set in shrink wrap either.

steve B 09-07-2022 10:11 AM

It's impossible to tell on this one, but I've seen other "factory" sets that were done a bit later I believe for HSN or QVC or a similar thing.

But their packaging makes it clear they were manufactured in quantity by someone.
93-4? classic set of some kind in a plain white box with the set name printed on in black then shrink wrapped.

A signature rookies set that was mostly sold at retail. In a card box for delivery, and it includes an autographed card that wasn't issued with the regular boxes.

It might be something like that, or the simple answer, it's just a hand collated set someone shrink wrapped.

If you do open it, check the cards closely for small differences. Some of that sort of thing was done as a special print run, and might be identifiable as different.

hharm3 09-07-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2261351)
It's impossible to tell on this one, but I've seen other "factory" sets that were done a bit later I believe for HSN or QVC or a similar thing.

But their packaging makes it clear they were manufactured in quantity by someone.
93-4? classic set of some kind in a plain white box with the set name printed on in black then shrink wrapped.

A signature rookies set that was mostly sold at retail. In a card box for delivery, and it includes an autographed card that wasn't issued with the regular boxes.

It might be something like that, or the simple answer, it's just a hand collated set someone shrink wrapped.

If you do open it, check the cards closely for small differences. Some of that sort of thing was done as a special print run, and might be identifiable as different.

I think we're going to open it. My son just wants to see the cards. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ripping off and throwing away a "valuable" piece of plastic. Right now we can only see the Magic Johnson sticker and the checklist.

aro13 09-07-2022 07:55 PM

1987-88 Fleer

Back in that era of collecting dealers used to often wrap their complete sets like that for sale.

steve B 09-12-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hharm3 (Post 2261434)
I think we're going to open it. My son just wants to see the cards. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ripping off and throwing away a "valuable" piece of plastic. Right now we can only see the Magic Johnson sticker and the checklist.

That's what I would do. Even if it is special in some way it will probably be nearly impossible to tell while it's wrapped.

I would compare cards just to see if there's anything interesting going on.

But as ARO mentioned shrink wrapping was pretty popular back then with some dealers.

Exhibitman 09-18-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2262859)
That's what I would do. Even if it is special in some way it will probably be nearly impossible to tell while it's wrapped.

It's Schrodinger's Stack: unless unwrapped it is simultaneously special and not special.

hharm3 09-18-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2265041)
It's Schrodinger's Stack: unless unwrapped it is simultaneously special and not special.

Genius. Original or just something I've never heard.

steve B 09-19-2022 12:28 PM

The most genius part is using stack instead of set. Because we also can't be sure it's a set until it's unwrapped....:D

hharm3 09-28-2022 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2265041)

Happy to report that the cat is alive and the Jordan is off-center so you know it's original.