Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Richmond, Va. - 2000 tobacco card find (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347898)

Vintagedeputy 03-30-2024 07:54 PM

Richmond, Va. - 2000 tobacco card find

4 Attachment(s)
As someone who lives in Richmond and scours the area looking for vintage baseball, I’m dying a little inside that this wasn’t me making this find.

Apparently a local card store in Richmond has just announced that they have acquired a 2000 tobacco card lot from 1890 to 1910 era. Here’s a couple of screenshots of what they showed on their video.

Lorewalker 03-30-2024 08:07 PM

Lemme be the first here to say...WOW. Things we dream of.

Thanks (sort of) for sharing. ;)

brianp-beme 03-30-2024 08:07 PM

You got to love that they were neatly bundled up with strings! A lot better than finding them with rubber bands from the rubber band era of 1950's into the 1970's.

Looks like quite the haul.

Brian

Fred 03-30-2024 08:10 PM

Can you post a link to the video.

For sure, that's the dream a lot of us have.

Vintagedeputy 03-30-2024 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2423470)
Can you post a link to the video.

For sure, that's the dream a lot of us have.

Yes, of course. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5GW8...on_share_sheet

Eric72 03-30-2024 08:32 PM

...old cardboard picture cards, tied up with strings. These are a few of my favorite things...

B O'Brien 03-30-2024 09:48 PM

That’s about the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen, present company excluded of course.

Damn!!!

Bob

rc4157 03-31-2024 08:19 AM

Let me just say "WOW!" You just never know what may come through that door.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-31-2024 08:25 AM

I love that he pictured the Irv Young cards. Hope he does a little more research before he goes to sell!

JimC 03-31-2024 08:35 AM

That's awesome, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

The Nasty Nati 03-31-2024 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2423543)
I love that he pictured the Irv Young cards. Hope he does a little more research before he goes to sell!

Yeah, something is telling me the shop owner is also clueless about rare t206 backs, if there are any.

here2havefun 03-31-2024 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 2423686)
Yeah, something is telling me the shop owner is also clueless about rare t206 backs, if there are any.

I live in Richmond, the LCS 3Point focuses on modern and ultra modern, mostly wax. I've spoken to the owners briefly, don't know them well, but yeah my guess is they don't touch vintage much. Hoping they do their research!

GasHouseGang 03-31-2024 11:21 PM

Is there a way to see the video if you don't use Instagram?

Sorry, worked on one computer but not the other.

Fred 03-31-2024 11:49 PM

I don't have an Instagram account and the video was available by just opening the link.

OMG - that's an impressive grouping of cards to walk-in the door.

Sadly, the only way they're going to maximize the potential windfall is to pay a TPG (better that they use PSA) the cost of slabbing them and judging by the cards, I'm going to guess that's going to get into the 5 digit range. Someone gotta get paid, right?

Since they didn't show any backs, one might assume they're all Piedmonts or Sweet Caporals or the people working on selling the cards just don't know any better.

You can only hope the people that are taking care of the selling of the cards do the right thing and do a ton of research and maximize the amount of money the owners can get for that cardboard.

brianp-beme 04-01-2024 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2423700)
Since they didn't show any backs, one might assume they're all Piedmonts or Sweet Caporals or the people working on selling the cards just don't know any better.

In the box (that I assume all these cards were found in), they actually show the bottom side of several T206 stacks that all appear to have Piedmont backs. Who knows what other backs, if any, were lurking within those bundles. At some point we will find out.

Those cards all look so freshy-fresh.

Brian

ClementeFanOh 04-01-2024 03:20 AM

Tobacco find

Vintagedeputy- thanks for this great link, wow! Just shows us that miracle
finds are still out there. I'd love to see a follow up story someday that the
store owners were prudent in deciding how to introduce these wonderful
cards into the hobby. This is what many of us dream of finding, yes?

Trent King

sonnyu2 04-01-2024 07:25 AM

Wow. Curious what the back story is on the collection and if the shop bought the collection - or is selling on consignment. Hopefully on consignment for the original owner's sake as it appears that the shop does not have the experience to evaluate / handle those types of cards.

Just shows that there is still a bunch of stuff out there to find!

The Nasty Nati 04-01-2024 07:39 AM

I see what looks like a large stack of Old Mill Southern Leaguers. That is not surprising since the find is in Richmond.

Maybe some rare Print Group 1 Old Mill major leaguers will be in the mix too.

GasHouseGang 04-01-2024 11:29 AM

It's so great that stuff like this still shows up. Sure would love to have a find like that!

twalk 04-06-2024 07:44 AM

Spoke to the shop owner and saw some of the cards at the Chantilly show. One family owned them for 100+ years. Almost all Piedmont with no rare backs that he was aware of. The ones I saw which included several HOFers were in great condition.

He has about a dozen N172s but no HOFers or stars.

Most of them are off to PSA and SGC. Nice guy.

jetsetr1 04-06-2024 11:21 AM

Gorgeous, just gorgeous. My brain has a hard time processing that box.

Leon 04-07-2024 08:11 AM

This was a great find. I love original to the hobby cards. It means that the hobbies scumbags haven't had a chance to trim them (yet). For reference I would really note the borders and compare them to the borders on high grade T206s now in the hobby. My guess is, the ones in the high grade holders almost ALL have smaller borders. I see very few 7's and 8's with large borders. There is a reason.