Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   41 Playball Joe D on EBay BVG5 fake? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300095)

Kutcher55 04-10-2021 05:47 AM

41 Playball Joe D on EBay BVG5 fake?

Tracking a 41 Playball Joe D on EBay. Auction to end a little over two hours from this posting. Normally I wouldn’t go BVG for a card like this but I need one to complete the set and it’s at a good price point at the moment.

Anyway I looked up the serial # on Beckett website (0000116794) and it came back blank. Actually there’s a Tim Couch (lol) BGS card that has that #.

Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

jp1216 04-10-2021 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Old Beckett slab when they used to give subgrades on BVG cards.

Kutcher55 04-10-2021 06:33 AM

Yes but still should be able to look it up in their registry, no?

Jcosta19 04-10-2021 06:37 AM

I have never done a lookup on this type of slab, so not sure. But I did notice the seller is also selling certs 00001167491 (68 Nolan Ryan)...92 (39 Playball Dimaggio)..and...93 (50 Bowman Ted Williams).

You may want to check those slabs as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kutcher55 04-10-2021 07:51 AM

I think but am not certain that these cards are legit. I wasn’t aware BVG had gone back to subgrades. Wish I could confirm this because a few auctions are ending in the next hour. The seller told me he recently had these graded and they probably haven’t been posted on the website yet.

My gut now says real but not 100% sure.

HawkFan70 04-10-2021 08:10 AM

My Dad had a bunch of slabs like this that you can't find in the Beckett database. For some odd reason, they duplicated certification numbers....not sure how that happened. I would bet it's legit. I know that this happened because my Dad actually submitted the cards and they are no longer in the certification list.

BCauley 04-10-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkFan70 (Post 2091448)
My Dad had a bunch of slabs like this that you can't find in the Beckett database. For some odd reason, they duplicated certification numbers....not sure how that happened. I would bet it's legit. I know that this happened because my Dad actually submitted the cards and they are no longer in the certification list.

I read somewhere recently that sometime within the last 10 years or so that their database that held graded BVG information crashed, or something like that. So any record of a BVG card before that time was totally lost.

swarmee 04-11-2021 06:34 AM

You'd probably need to send it in to be slabbed and checked, with a new cert number created. I have also heard that their old certs were unintentionally erased, so it's not really a shock the cert number doesn't match. Upper Deck Authentications also had a database deleted, so many of their UDA pieces and signed cards inserted into packs can't be looked up either.

Fuddjcal 04-12-2021 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BCauley (Post 2091524)
I read somewhere recently that sometime within the last 10 years or so that their database that held graded BVG information crashed, or something like that. So any record of a BVG card before that time was totally lost.

I have a few BVG graded that I checked in the data base recently after I discovered there was one. Initially, a few of them didn't come up. Then after trying 2 or 3 times they did???? There is also a tab to click that if you don't find your card, you can report it and they will search it? Don't know if that works or not because all of mine eventually popped up including this one.

from August 2005

Stampsfan 04-14-2021 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCauley (Post 2091524)

Without a backup server? Even ten years ago that should have been standard practice, taking database backups and having a modicum of a Disaster Recovery Plan.