Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   And the 2022 Hobby Jackass of the year is… (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327982)

67airborne 11-24-2022 05:27 AM

And the 2022 Hobby Jackass of the year is…

4 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the 2022 net54 annual end of the year Hobby Jackass award.

I’d like to start with 2 nominations
First I’d like to nominate myself for sending in cards to be graded by PSA. I sent in one package back in June, one card for one month grading, 3 to be put in new holders, 5 were raw to be graded and 12 were being crossed over. Which are still in the mail.

My second nominee is PSA
One of the cards I sent to be crossed over graded they totally messed it up. What was once a nice 4.5 they decided they would cross it over and totally ruined the card. I’m not a picky collector, but I have never bought cards with any damage to the players face. I don’t mind creases, holes or paper loss, but no face damage. When I mailed these out in June I was out from knee surgery so I forgot to take a picture before I mailed it. They would never put this in a 4.5 if it was a raw grade.
Even though these are my cards, you would think since they are in their holders they would want them to present the best to showcase their product. They do supposedly go through 2 quality checks before they mail them out.
Let’s see your nominee’s
Best Jeff

swarmee 11-24-2022 06:03 AM

Wow; they destroyed that card.

Contact customer service ASAP to get your damage refund. They need to buy that card back.

D. Bergin 11-24-2022 07:32 AM

So they basically cracked it in half trying to break it out of the SGC holder I'm guessing. :(

BillyCoxDodgers3B 11-24-2022 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2286809)
So they basically cracked it in half trying to break it out of the SGC holder I'm guessing. :(

It's dead simple to crack a slab without coming anywhere near the area where the card is housed. Things like this should never happen.

mrreality68 11-24-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B (Post 2286812)
It's dead simple to crack a slab without coming anywhere near the area where the card is housed. Things like this should never happen.

So So Sorry to see that. That makes them Sadly a Great Nominee

is there any recourse?

67airborne 11-24-2022 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2286815)
So So Sorry to see that. That makes them Sadly a Great Nominee

is there any recourse?

Good morning. So far I haven’t reached out to psa. I don’t have the nichol back yet, it’s in the mail as we speak. I figured I would wait until I got the card in hand before I call and hopefully I will be able to speak instead of just dropping F bombs on them. Plus the person on the phone probably had nothing to do with it.

rjackson44 11-24-2022 08:00 AM

Call the mafia😩😩

Eric72 11-24-2022 08:11 AM

My nominee for jackass of the year is:

Collectively, all the scammers.

Whenever money has been involved, there have always been bad actors. Hobby-specific fraud has increased lately, though. It's logical (though not in any way more palatable) to imagine this happened because the number of people involved in the hobby has grown since the pandemic. Bring in more people, there are invariably going to be more POS fraudsters.

So, yeah. From Marx Cards to Backyard Breaks to the faceless scammers who've slithered into the BST...I nominate you all.

inceptus 11-24-2022 08:21 AM

I mentioned this in a previous post, but I had a similar outcome sending a raw OJ to SGC for grading— it cracked down the middle when it was flattened out in the slab.

The good news is that SGC handled it in a very non-jackass manner— they called me when it happened and offered what I thought was fair compensation…

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7b2f9800b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67airborne 11-24-2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inceptus (Post 2286829)
I mentioned this in a previous post, but I had a similar outcome sending a raw OJ to SGC for grading— it cracked down the middle when it was flattened out in the slab.

The good news is that SGC handled it in a very non-jackass manner— they called me when it happened and offered what I thought was fair compensation…

Thank you for your reply. As disappointing as it is, it’s nice to also see an explanation that makes sense. And the lesson learned here is when dealing with theses types of photos, Once flattened in a holder it’s best to leave it there.

+1 to the scammers and crooks out there. Get a life.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 11-24-2022 08:54 AM

That might very well explain it.

Is it best to attempt to flatten these out very gently over time before submitting, or just leave them be? If it doesn't flatten, don't slab, anyway. They're over 130 years old and I have to imagine that most are brittle after so long.

After handling so many of these, one would think the companies would know which ones need to be kept far, far away from their slabbing machines to save everyone a similar headache.

...but it doesn't explain why nothing happened to the OP's when originally encased in its former slab. Is there more free space between the SGC tuxedo sandwich? Did you notice any warping in the card when housed in the SGC slab? Yes, it's really too bad you didn't retain a photo. Have you scoured the internet on the off chance that an image of it can be discovered?

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-24-2022 08:58 AM

I'd nominate someone in the national "bag of money" scandal, but I'm still not clear on who the idiot is in that story.

Fred 11-24-2022 09:51 AM

I've always wondered whether OJs that have a large curl to them would be damaged if placed in a slab. Now I know. I guess it doesn't surprise me too much. The only thing I can think of is that the card crossed over to the 4.5 grade (before it was encapsulated). During the encapsulation the card cracked.

The only logical explanation is that the TPG personnel didn't notice the issue and shipped it back. I thought the TPGs took pictures when they grade the cards now. If so, have them review the picture and then as them if they would have actually given a 4.5 grade to a card that was creased like that. They would have to conclude that it occurred after the encapsulation.

TPGs should have enough experience to determine if a curled card like that could be damaged, after all, doesn't PSA see more cards than any other TPG? Shouldn't the have some expertise in the field, by now?

It'd be interesting to see how this plays out with PSA.

Casey2296 11-24-2022 10:25 AM

Re: the curled card
Don't TPGs require you send them cards in a penny sleeve and card saver? which would already have flattened the card. It's unfortunate to see such a nice card get damaged, I'm glad sgc made you whole.

Yoda 11-24-2022 10:27 AM

I nominate Ebay for their boneheaded authentication scheme.

Casey2296 11-24-2022 10:36 AM

I'm going with Slapnicker on sheer entertainment value.

todeen 11-24-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inceptus (Post 2286829)

I knew these cards were light sensitive but I didn't know they were fragile. I didn't know flattening them could Crack them. You taught me something new. Although I'm very sorry for your bad luck. That would make me sick if it was mine.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

inceptus 11-24-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2286856)
Don't TPGs require you send them cards in a penny sleeve and card saver? which would already have flattened the card. It's unfortunate to see such a nice card get damaged, I'm glad sgc made you whole.

That’s an interesting point. It came to me in a penny sleeve/top loader when I purchased it, and I transferred it to a new sleeve/top loader and sent to SGC the next day. I’m assuming it had been stored in a non-flat manner for years, so between my shipping to SGC and the slabbing, it was too much sudden trauma for this particular card.

G1911 11-24-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inceptus (Post 2286875)
That’s an interesting point. It came to me in a penny sleeve/top loader when I purchased it, and I transferred it to a new sleeve/top loader and sent to SGC the next day. I’m assuming it had been stored in a non-flat manner for years, so between my shipping to SGC and the slabbing, it was too much sudden trauma for this particular card.

I have had this happen too. I had a number of curled actress cards on the same stock as an N172 in top loaders, and they never had a problem. There was enough space and play in a top loader to not crack it. I traded the duplicates to a pal who sent one in for grading, and it was ruined like this in the process.

I now store curled N cards without any individual pockets, in team bags with tons of room and make no effort to flatten my actresses.

G1911 11-24-2022 11:59 AM

I would nominate Gary Vee as the hobby jackass.

Fred 11-24-2022 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2286856)

If I were going to have something crossed over, I'd request that the card remain encapsulated until the TPG could determine if the card would cross over at a minimum grade and do not remove it unless the card will meet that minimum grade. Wouldn't it suck to have an SGC "8" and then have PSA drop it down to a "6".

Edited to add - that's just a crying shame about that Adonis OJ.

Republicaninmass 11-24-2022 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2286879)
I would nominate Gary Vee as the hobby jackass.

Among others

Did that guy pull the 55 bowman mantle this year or last? Time flies but that stuck with me

Exhibitman 11-24-2022 01:11 PM

I nominate the collector who takes pleasure in the misfortunes of other collectors. You know, the guy who can barely restrain his glee when a TPG messes up someone's card, or who cheerleads any price decline or hobby crisis, but is strangely silent when someone has a stroke of good fortune. Thanks for always peeing in our collective Cheerios.

parkplace33 11-24-2022 01:59 PM

My nomination is collectors who complain about auction houses (prices, bp, taxes, shipping prices, tech issues, etc), yet continue, auction after auction, to buy from them.

Johnny630 11-24-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2286902)
My nomination is collectors who complain about auction houses (prices, bp, taxes, shipping prices, tech issues, etc), yet continue to buy from them.

Agree….we see the complaints after every major auction.

Fred 11-24-2022 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2286889)
I nominate the collector who takes pleasure in the misfortunes of other collectors. You know, the guy who can barely restrain his glee when a TPG messes up someone's card, or who cheerleads any price decline or hobby crisis, but is strangely silent when someone has a stroke of good fortune. Thanks for always peeing in our collective Cheerios.

Uh, I'm going to guess a lot of people would cheer a price decline. Now for the other thing mentioned, anybody that would be happy about a TPG ruining someone's card is just an ass.

G1911 11-24-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2286905)
Uh, I'm going to guess a lot of people would cheer a price decline. Now for the other thing mentioned, anybody that would be happy about a TPG ruining someone's card is just an ass.

I wonder if people are jackasses for rooting for price increases that price others out of the hobby. I suspect it only works one way; collectors who are collecting and not selling are supposed to root for price increases to their own detriment while the investors have no obligation to root for the benefit of anyone else over their own.

I don’t think people who are not participating in the pump are even in the top 1,000 problems with the hobby, but I’m a jackass.

BobbyStrawberry 11-24-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2286905)
anybody that would be happy about a TPG ruining someone's card is just an ass.

Agreed. Has that actually happened on here? (People being happy about this, I mean)

swarmee 11-24-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2286887)
Among others

Did that guy pull the 55 bowman mantle this year or last? Time flies but that stuck with me

Two different guys. Leighton Sheldon from Vintage Breaks was the one that opened the pack with the 1955 Bowman Mantle that graded a PSA 9 at the National.
Gary Vaynerchuk is much worse than Leighton.

Exhibitman 11-24-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2286906)
I wonder if people are jackasses for rooting for price increases that price others out of the hobby.

If that's why, then yes, he's a jackass. We all root (I think) for the bad apples in the hobby to get their comeuppances, but there's also the guy who lives to be the Cassandra of card price declines. It isn't the decline per se, it is the hope that it harms others that's the asshattery.

cardsagain74 11-24-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2286906)
I wonder if people are jackasses for rooting for price increases that price others out of the hobby. I suspect it only works one way; collectors who are collecting and not selling are supposed to root for price increases to their own detriment while the investors have no obligation to root for the benefit of anyone else over their own.

I think you can find "I want the market to crash for my own benefit" POVs to be in poor taste without expecting those people to root for price gains to their own detriment either.

A few have occasionally said here "I want everything to collapse, just so I can buy stuff really cheap" without taking into account any other issues that it'd cause the hobby too (ones that have nothing to do with someone else's loss in asset value). And after a major market fluctuation, sometimes you can sense the joy that some have (not here necessarily, but in general) in anything really going downhill and poorly-timed buyers losing their ass. So I see Adam's point.

That being said, I agree that it's naturally not close to the biggest hobby problem around.

Republicaninmass 11-24-2022 03:11 PM

Sorry, I forget the ones who pontificate how much a card is worth....then dont bid, and hide when it sell for the originally suggested amount.

ullmandds 11-24-2022 03:18 PM

Since I can't nominate any individual person by name..I nominate the "investor/flipper/pumper/influencer/youtuber/tiktoker" who got back/into the hobby in the last few years because it was an easy way to make quick $$$$...and who is now trying to pass the bag...head for the door.

F y'all!!!!!

JollyElm 11-24-2022 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't care what year, decade or century it is, it's always going to be this guy...

Attachment 544045

Eric72 11-24-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2286924)
I don't care what year, decade or century it is, it's always going to be this guy...

Attachment 544045

It's hard to believe that was about ten years ago. It seems like just yesterday.

One of the most memorable threads in Net54 history; it's right up there with the Bruces threatening to sue themselves.

ullmandds 11-24-2022 03:48 PM

2 of the most memorable threads in net54 history.

ullmandds 11-24-2022 03:49 PM

never forget when peter cho took over the board!

Exhibitman 11-24-2022 04:00 PM

I like applesauce

G1911 11-24-2022 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsagain74 (Post 2286918)
I think you can find "I want the market to crash for my own benefit" POVs to be in poor taste without expecting those people to root for price gains to their own detriment either.

A few have occasionally said here "I want everything to collapse, just so I can buy stuff really cheap"

Pretty sure that’s a direct quote of me lol. I’d love a market collapse. I’ll favor y’all’s interests over my own interests the second a single person puts my hobby interests above theirs.

G1911 11-24-2022 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2286919)
Sorry, I forget the ones who pontificate how much a card is worth....then dont bid, and hide when it sell for the originally suggested amount.

Sounds like a certain Ruth card and the funniest hobby event of the year :D

todeen 11-24-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2286924)

Attachment 544045

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2286928)
It's hard to believe that was about ten years ago. It seems like just yesterday.

One of the most memorable threads in Net54 history; it's right up there with the Bruces threatening to sue themselves.

this is before my time. I'd certainly be delighted if someone could revive that dead thread for my pleasure.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

swarmee 11-24-2022 06:06 PM

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ghlight=lotion
For some reason, the first search term I could think of to find this the fastest, was "lotion."

JollyElm 11-24-2022 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He got himself a sweet gig today...

Attachment 544097

babraham 11-24-2022 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2286858)

Ha, agreed!

brianp-beme 11-25-2022 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2286963)
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ghlight=lotion
For some reason, the first search term I could think of to find this the fastest, was "lotion."

And here are the original 3 threads from two years prior that were recapped/commented upon in the thread in the above link (the below links courtesy of Eric72 seven years ago in a post in the above link).

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163782

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163800

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163818

Brian

egri 11-25-2022 01:01 AM

I nominate Johnny Knoxville and Steve-O…oops, wrong Jackass.

I’ll bring up another former member here, because he recently popped up in a card collecting Facebook group I’m in; Adam Moraine, who does not appear to have parlayed Sammy Sosa’s shoes into an early retirement to an estate in Greenwich.

Dead-Ball-Hitter 11-26-2022 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2286858)

LOL I’m with you Phil

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-26-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2286902)
My nomination is collectors who complain about auction houses (prices, bp, taxes, shipping prices, tech issues, etc), yet continue, auction after auction, to buy from them.

you had me, but lost me half way through :D

Seven 11-27-2022 08:00 AM

My nomination in this year (or really any year since this god awful concept started) is the companies that offer fractional ownership, or shares of a card. It blows my mind this is a thing. Can't wait to show off the 3 shares of the t206 Plank I just bought!

Fred 11-27-2022 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2287661)
My nomination in this year (or really any year since this god awful concept started) is the companies that offer fractional fictional ownership, or shares of a card. It blows my mind this is a thing. Can't wait to show off the 3 shares of the t206 Plank I just bought!

Is buying a "tokenized" share of a card really collecting? Wouldn't this basically be an investment vehicle rather than a "hobby" purchase?

This nomination would make the final cut for me.