Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Name one 2022 hobby resolution you are most likely to uphold (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=312257)

cjedmonton 12-18-2021 12:57 PM

Name one 2022 hobby resolution you are most likely to uphold

It’s that time of year. A time to reflect on all those broken promises we made to our hobby conscience.

Whether by general overspending or abandoning a project we vowed we’d never do, each year is too often looked back at what should’ve been.

But 2022 will be different, right?

Which ONE aspect of your hobby stands the greatest chance of being completed/maintained/adhered to in the coming year? It can be anything, so long as you are almost certain you will see it through.

For me, it is my super focused goal of obtaining one graded Topps card of every HOF pitcher 1952-1980. All 30 years represented by all 30 pitchers with no repeats and no omissions. 4 down, 26 to go…and the calendar hadn’t even flipped yet.

Dandor 12-18-2021 01:04 PM

If I had to pick one project that I know I will complete it would be to finish my 1951 Topps Blue Backs set. I still need 28 of them, but I am not too worried about condition. However, the prices keep on going up on them...

jchcollins 12-18-2021 02:18 PM

In terms of real thing most likely to uphold, I hope I finish my subset of 1958 Topps All-Stars. I think the only HOF'ers I'm down to needing are Aparicio, Nellie Fox, and Warren Spahn. Besides that I need most of the "common" All-Stars, but they aren't terribly expensive.

For a goal I hope I can achieve, but which I may be less likely to totally stay on the wagon with - I want to be more reasonable with my hobby purchases, and saving for cards I know I want to buy. Not all the time, but at least for some of the last 5-6 years, I have been heavily given to occasionally "impulse buy" - and while that can be great at the time / while you are doing it, it sometimes leads to confusion and frustration down the road when it becomes evident that a purchase or series of purchases was not well thought-out in terms of my longer term hobby goals. That, plus it's always easier I think to make a purchase decision I can feel proud of if whatever it is I'm buying is paid for up front. That's my preferred way of buying, but entirely too many times lately I have been given to follow my impulses first, while only figuring out the finances later. I'd like to put an end to that in 2022.

This shopping method goal is also closely related to another goal, and that is to stop selling cards in 2022. eBay / Paypal and tax law changes are actually helping to do this for me, but for a long time now in relation to my impulse buys, it seems I am sometimes caught in a vicious cycle of the "sell this to buy that" mentality when it comes to expensive vintage cards. For a number of reasons, I just want to stop doing that - and the handwriting for me is on the wall that 2022 is the right time to try.

Eric72 12-18-2021 02:36 PM

My "resolution" for 2022 is to resume building the '56 Topps set.

I figure prices should drop a bit in April. Many newcomers went "flipping" crazy in 2021. At least some of them will wind up with unforeseen tax bills due this year. Their lack of preparation should spark a bit of a sell-off.

Yes, I understand this will probably cause more "race to the bottom" nonsense with modern.

butchie_t 12-18-2021 04:21 PM

I want to finish my 72 Topps Baseball set.

But we are also getting our retirement home built and we will be closing on it the first half of the year. So some things will be reprioritized for sure.

I am more focused on the new home and getting onto the next part of our life adventure first.

Exhibitman 12-18-2021 04:43 PM

I'd like to fill in a few gaps in my Hank Aaron collection. I have been trying to index his team issue and picture pack issues but the ATL ones are confusing.

Vegas Cards 12-18-2021 09:29 PM

I'm making slow but steady progress on the 1953 and 1955 Topps sets. I'd like to add 24 cards to each set this year, two a month for each.

No surprise, but I've been building these sets for a few years, and the prices keep climbing, even for commons. Makes me wish I had bought more sooner!

I've also got a pretty solid Mantle collection, but I'd like to make a few changes. I've got a '59 PSA grade 6.5, and I'd love to upgrade to a 7. I've also got a few with qualifiers, one ST and one OC I'd like to replace. Last, I only have one SGC graded Mantle. I'd like to replace it with a PSA graded card.

The sets I'll work on, slow and steady. The Mantles, I'll make adjustments if the opportunity comes up.

71buc 12-18-2021 09:35 PM

I’m going to sell many of my graded Topps 1950s-60s HOF rookie cards to obtain the financial resources necessary to on focus more on my 1971 Bucs. I had a good year this year and hope to add a 3000 hit stub and a Willie Stargell game used bat in 2022.

DJCollector1 12-19-2021 02:21 AM

Great idea for a thread OP~!

This year was brutal on me. Covid related issues caused me to have to sell off the majority of my "bigger cards". 50s and 60s Mid - to High grade Clementes, Mantles and a few others.....all with superb eye appeal.

Then, I lost my brother (58 yrs old/heart attack) unexpectedly just a few weeks back, and its been incredibly tough on the family, my sister specifically.

The silver lining is recent events has made us have to sell some property, and I should have a bit of a breather in 30-60 days.

I have slowly begun picking up a few lower grade cards to replace some of what I had to move.

I guess if I had to set one specific goal for the coming year, it is to slowly piece back together a small collection of Mickey Mantles, Hank Aarons, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinsons with a few other bigger post war names.
Nothing massive like some of the collectors here, but when things happen and you lose some of what you have, you learn to appreciate them more.

Like my board buddy gustomania said, "baseball cards will always be there, you can always get them back".

:)

toppcat 12-19-2021 05:54 PM

Focus. Carrying over from this year. Working on completing Topps Baseball sets from 1960-66 and one or two other smaller projects.

campyfan39 12-19-2021 06:49 PM

This is an interesting take and I could see it happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2176316)
My "resolution" for 2022 is to resume building the '56 Topps set.

I figure prices should drop a bit in April. Many newcomers went "flipping" crazy in 2021. At least some of them will wind up with unforeseen tax bills due this year. Their lack of preparation should spark a bit of a sell-off.

Yes, I understand this will probably cause more "race to the bottom" nonsense with modern.

Natswin2019 12-19-2021 08:35 PM

The hobby thing I am most likely to up hold is finishing off my 55 Topps set. The only thing that would stand in my way is a Clemente rookie card, so we will have to see about that but hopefully I can track down one that doesn't break the bank. Otherwise I need about 30 more cards to finish off the set so it's very do able.

tulsaboy 12-20-2021 10:55 AM

A bit outside this particular forum's date range, but I'm going to try to finish the 1982 cardboard header rack box that I've been working on filling. Am a little over halfway there!
kevin

Elberson 12-20-2021 03:40 PM

Well, 2022 is going to be a weird year for me, moving from NJ to NC, so most of my cards will be boxed up for the year. Renting now and than buying a new house sometime during the year. Looking forward to the unboxing and displaying again. Just going to relax and focus on finishing the 1967 Topps set and have fun with that!!!!

bobsbbcards 12-20-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCollector1 (Post 2176489)

Then, I lost my brother (58 yrs old/heart attack) unexpectedly just a few weeks back, and its been incredibly tough on the family, my sister specifically.

I’m so sorry for your loss, Scott. :(

todeen 12-20-2021 09:59 PM

I wanted to buy a Jackie Robinson card or exhibit this year, and it got away from me by pursuing other avenues. That is still a goal for 2022. Either the exhibit, 54, 55, or 56 Topps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nwfsteve 12-22-2021 07:16 AM

Complete the 1971 Topps baseball set.

Down to one card (624-A's team).

Had hoped to finish this last year, 50 years late, but I prefer all these raw and I want to hold them in my hand before I buy.

No great sentimental attachment to the set because of its beastly nature, but me completing it has been like the ending of Das Boot.

scmavl 12-22-2021 07:48 AM

Don't buy a low end copy of a card because I can easily afford it. Save up for a higher grade copy that I won't feel the need to upgrade right away. And make sure it's centered.

commishbob 12-22-2021 09:26 AM

I have two goals for 2022 and am likely to really stick to only one...going through my "completed" sets and upgrading the cards I have listed as candidates for replacement. I usually start a set with a fair size 'lot' of commons and minor stars and there are usually a few cards in there that are below standard, even for me. I've culled the beaters already but I have some with marks, creases, or too soft corners that I haven't gotten to yet. This is particularly true for sets that frustrated me as I got close to finishing them, like the '57 and '61 Topps baseball sets and '61 Fleer football.

Since I have no intention of starting another set chase any time soon this will give me a way to keep my hand in the hobby without having to shake my head over the price of a high number '67 common which is how I spent 2021.

My other goal/resolution (for several years now) has been to finish my 1975 Topps mini set but I've kind of lost interest in that one.

cjedmonton 12-22-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2177577)
Don't buy a low end copy of a card because I can easily afford it. Save up for a higher grade copy that I won't feel the need to upgrade right away. And make sure it's centered.

+1 and then some. This is my credo for my HoF pitcher project (OP). Will gladly settle for a one or two grade drop if it is centered.

MarcosCards 12-25-2021 09:08 PM

I’ve got to clean out the basement by selling some 1980s and 1990s Sports Collectors Digests, Tuff Stuff, and Baseball Card magazines that I’ve picked up here and there.

Gorditadogg 12-27-2021 09:05 AM

Crickets from me on that one. Every year I promise myself to stay off the rabbit trails and focus on the sets I really want to finish, but then I can't help but look on the BST auction site and find another interesting 1990's set that Fred has up, and I end the year with a closet full of $40 boxes of cards.

irv 12-27-2021 01:54 PM

With 14 13 cards remaining, all 52 Topps high numbers, I will continue to pursue those in hopes of at least adding a couple/few throughout the year. Some upgrades here and there as well is also quite possible.

Outside of those, I will continue to look and watch for other cards that also pique my interest.