Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Seller wants personal check payable to his eBay id... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=86334)

Archive 07-28-2007 10:11 PM

Seller wants personal check payable to his eBay id...

Posted By: <b>Chris East</b><p>I won an auction (140140354156, T206 Wilhelm, Sweet Caporal back). As the seller doesn't accept paypal, I am sending a personal check.<br /><br />He didn't have his name in his invoice, so I emailed and asked for his name so I could remit payment. He responded and requested that I make payment payable to roomn8 (his eBay id).<br /><br />I have emailed him again requesting his name, as I am not sending a check payable to his eBay id.<br /><br />I'm not accusing him of any impropriety, but am just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with this seller, or had any experiences like this?

Archive 07-28-2007 10:23 PM

Posted By: <b>Andy</b><p>I'm curious why you wouldn't send a check payable to whatever he wants. If he can't cash it, then you're not going to be out any money. He may have set up a business account at the bank under the same name as his eBay handle, I think that's pretty common. I've sent many money orders payable to people's eBay handles in the past. <br /><br />Maybe I'm missing something here?<br><br>Thanks,<br /><br />Andy

Archive 07-28-2007 10:30 PM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>He may have a business bank account, and his eBay id is his business name. Nothing illegitimate about that.

Archive 07-28-2007 10:34 PM

Posted By: <b>Chris East</b><p>I have sent payment payable to a number of eBay handles as well, but they have always been something resembling a business name generally associated with the material they are selling, or recognizable as a business name. The handle "roomn8" doesn't strike me as such, and that, coupled with the fact that the seller has a feedback score of 15 (100% positive, albeit all as the buyer between 2/03 and 6/06 and none appear to be sportscard related) just made me pause and think about it.<br /><br />Edited to add: again, not accusing him of any wrongdoing, just wondering if anyone was familiar with him (address is PO Box in Bloomington, IN), etc.

Archive 07-28-2007 10:43 PM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>There is a roomn8.com that does art design professionally. The owner lists his location as LA and Bloomington IN. It's likely the owner of this site/company selling some stuff on ebay, and it would be plausible for him to have a bank account under roomn8.<br />

Archive 07-28-2007 10:55 PM

Posted By: <b>Chris East</b><p>Nice catch David. I just started looking around for businesses/websites with that name. Looks like it is his business name.<br /><br />It just goes to show that sometimes when that funny feeling hits you, there is nothing there.

Archive 07-28-2007 11:00 PM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>The one thing is if I had someone write out a check to some wild, crazy name, my bank wouldn't allow me to deposit it into my account. I can only deposit checks written out to my name or my company.

Archive 07-30-2007 08:08 AM

Posted By: <b>Ken McMillan</b><p>roomn8= ruminant= four legged animals with 4 chambered stomachs. Are you writing a check to a farm?<br /><br />Ken