Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help Identifying Team Signed Balls (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274483)

davidan 10-08-2019 03:47 PM

Help Identifying Team Signed Balls

I have a couple of Official MLB Balls autographed by entire teams from the early 1980's. One from the Athletics (includes Henderson, Billy Martin, etc.) I believe Joe Morgan is on it as well so may be 83/84 time frame.

I also have a similar one with Sparky and the Tigers.

2 Major questions
what is the best, most official way to identify, certify these?
over time even though they have been in cases a good number of the signatures have faded to varying degrees. How does this impact value, on these generally?

Best,

David

JMEnglish27 10-08-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidan (Post 1922137)
I have a couple of Official MLB Balls autographed by entire teams from the early 1980's. One from the Athletics (includes Henderson, Billy Martin, etc.) I believe Joe Morgan is on it as well so may be 83/84 time frame.

I also have a similar one with Sparky and the Tigers.

2 Major questions
what is the best, most official way to identify, certify these?
over time even though they have been in cases a good number of the signatures have faded to varying degrees. How does this impact value, on these generally?

Best,

David

If Morgan is on the A's ball it's absolutely '84...that's the only year he played here.

davidan 10-08-2019 06:03 PM

Ok, it's not a 1984 because Morgan is not on it. He is on a separate ball I have that has just 3 signatures:

Rickey Henderson, Joe Morgan and Davey Lopes.

I am thinking it's an 82, but again how best to confirm, certify balls?

Steve D 10-08-2019 09:35 PM

What I normally do, is go to baseball-reference.com. Once there, I can pull up each player who signed the ball, and determine what years they played for that team. Once i have a few of them, I can begin narrowing the time-frame the ball could be from, until I, hopefully, get one year where they all were there together.

It's best when doing this, to go for the lesser known players, as they were probably on the team for fewer years, making it easier/quicker to pinpoint one specific year they were all teammates.

Steve

mr2686 10-09-2019 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1922205)
What I normally do, is go to baseball-reference.com. Once there, I can pull up each player who signed the ball, and determine what years they played for that team. Once i have a few of them, I can begin narrowing the time-frame the ball could be from, until I, hopefully, get one year where they all were there together.

It's best when doing this, to go for the lesser known players, as they were probably on the team for fewer years, making it easier/quicker to pinpoint one specific year they were all teammates.

Steve

+1

roarfrom34 10-09-2019 07:07 AM

Billy Martin was the A's manager 1980-1982

davidan 10-09-2019 02:56 PM

Thanks Guys I am pretty sure the A's ball is an 82 based on this. Still working on the Tigers Ball

roarfrom34 10-10-2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidan (Post 1922346)
Thanks Guys I am pretty sure the A's ball is an 82 based on this. Still working on the Tigers Ball

post photos if you'd like the board's help