Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Because we needed ONE MORE thread about binders (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=332563)

vintagebaseballcardguy 03-06-2023 05:45 PM

Because we needed ONE MORE thread about binders

Guys, I have collected for over 30 years, and I've read a gillion binder threads. I'm sorry to start another one, but I do have one nagging issue I'd like your input on. I won't get into the vertical vs. horizontal storage argument. I've used both with no issues.

HOWEVER, (here it comes) my OCD regarding vertical storage is starting to get the better of me. I've not had issues with sagging or damage. That's because I know to keep them properly full and up against other binders (but not too tight) on the shelf. Many of you have posted great pictures of that over the years. I love seeing them. I just don't think I want to roll the dice with that any longer. Horizontal storage seems safer, but it takes up a whole lotta space. I'm not uniform in my binder purchases historically. I have Archival Methods binders with slip cases, Binder Tek binders with slip cases, and Ultra Pro binders. The slip cases stack well.

A few years ago, I bought a few Binder Tek slip cases to use with my Ultra Pro binders. Not a perfect fit but good enough. The last few binders have all been Ultra Pro (no slip cases). Now that I'm opting for horizontal storage, I'm thinking about spending some cash for more slip cases. I'd need about seven. It's a matter of about $150 to get all that I'd need. I'm cheap and can't hardly stomach that. You guys who have multiple binders and don't store vertically, what do you do with your binders? I'd love to hear that I don't need to spend that $150. I'd rather blow it on cards.

Gorditadogg 03-07-2023 09:27 AM

I store mine in a bookcase with extra shelves. I don't keep them on display, they are just in a closet.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

butchie_t 03-07-2023 09:39 AM

When I did store horizontally, I would alternate the binders to where a binder spine showed up every other binder. (hope that makes sense). I did this to try and keep the stack as level as possible. But that all went away after I moved and bought a couple of bookcases that would let me place them vertically and tightly so that it lessens the chance of card bowing.

There is no getting around the fact that you give up a fair amount of storage space placing them horizontal verses vertical. I do like the archival slip cases and will look into them. Those do look nice. All my binders are ultra pro, BTW.

Regards,

Butch

ALR-bishop 03-07-2023 10:01 AM

When they are horizontal they look like they have had too much to drink and can not stand up straight :)

vintagebaseballcardguy 03-07-2023 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2321351)
I store mine in a bookcase with extra shelves. I don't keep them on display, they are just in a closet.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

That looks like a good option for me, too. It will require some rearranging, but I can make it work. Thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

vintagebaseballcardguy 03-07-2023 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2321357)
When I did store horizontally, I would alternate the binders to where a binder spine showed up every other binder. (hope that makes sense). I did this to try and keep the stack as level as possible. But that all went away after I moved and bought a couple of bookcases that would let me place them vertically and tightly so that it lessens the chance of card bowing.

There is no getting around the fact that you give up a fair amount of storage space placing them horizontal verses vertical. I do like the archival slip cases and will look into them. Those do look nice. All my binders are ultra pro, BTW.

Regards,

Butch

Thanks for the reply. You are 100% right about the space. I also stack them that way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zach Wheat 03-07-2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2321357)

Regards,

Butch

I store mine this way also.

Tere1071 03-09-2023 03:39 AM

I store mine horizontally as I noticed that the plastic sheets would distort inside the binder. (BTW, the binders do look better vertically.) A friend suggested that I place a double-folded strip of semi-thick bubbled packing along the right edge of the first page in order to keep the weight off of the cards. So far, this has worked.

Phil aka Tere1071

Complete 1953 Bowman Color, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975 Topps Baseball sets under revision as the budget and wife allow

Under construction:
1970 Topps Baseball - missing over 100 cards, mostly after #450 and the three insert sets

1971 Topps Coins- 107/153

1974 Topps Baseball Washington variations

steve B 03-09-2023 08:39 AM

I've done both. Usually on bookcases. But without slipcases.

For looks, vertical is better.
For preventing the pages from bending, flat is better.

And on a bookcase, flat actually fits more depending in the shelf spacing and binder size. My wife shelves books flat, and it fits WAY more with books

toppcat 03-09-2023 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've gone with slipcased binders for all but my most common cards, which go into padded Ultra Pro notebooks. I ended up with 20 of the old Dreier collection slipcased binders, which are tanks and great for those long Topps baseball sets and use Bindertek for everything else. I also use page lifters front and back in each album.

One thing I like about the Bindertek's is the color array. I can organize the different sports by color with their binders.