Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T Sticky Substance on cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169177)

vintagechris 05-22-2013 02:16 PM

O/T Sticky Substance on cards

My apologies Leon if this is the wrong place for this post. I recently purchased some cards and some of the ones in the group have some sort of sticky substance on the front. I'm not sure what it is exactly. It almost seems like shellac but it doesn't look yellow like a baseball that has shellac. It is more clear color.

Some of the cards only have it in spots, some over most of the card. Any ideas on removing the sticky substance? Thanks for any suggestions.

RobertGT 05-22-2013 02:21 PM

Likely a wax stain from the wrapper.

Silk tie works quite well for removing these stains on the front only. Women's pantyhose also work well.

If the stain is on the reverse, forget it, that stain is there to stay unless you want to ruin the card.

sportscardpete 05-22-2013 02:47 PM

I saw the title of the thread and thought a proper response might be that you might like your cards a little TOO much.

vintagechris 05-22-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertGT (Post 1134770)
Likely a wax stain from the wrapper.

Silk tie works quite well for removing these stains on the front only. Women's pantyhose also work well.

If the stain is on the reverse, forget it, that stain is there to stay unless you want to ruin the card.

Rob, It's definitely not a wax stain. It is actually sticky and some of the cards are stuck together. Although you can pull them apart without any damage, there is some kind of sticky substance. It actually does somewhat resemble a wax stain, but it is a sticky substance and not a wax stain.

It appears to be a kind of clear substance that lays flat on the card.

oldjudge 05-22-2013 03:00 PM

Did these cards come from Leon and were they the ones in his dream?

Leon 05-22-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1134784)
Did these cards come from Leon and were they the ones in his dream?

No, no, no....please don't go there :).

kmac32 05-22-2013 04:36 PM

Was on of the cards a NASCAR card of Dick Trickle? Or a card of Dick Pole?

GoldenAge50s 05-22-2013 05:44 PM

Try a dab of Goo-Gone on a clean cloth--lightly rub over card & I bet it'll do the trick!

vintagechris 05-22-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s (Post 1134853)
Try a dab of Goo-Gone on a clean cloth--lightly rub over card & I bet it'll do the trick!

Fred, I've never used Goo-Gone before, is it safe for cards? I'm assuming yes or you wouldn't tell me to do it. Just curious if you have use dit on cards before.

Cardboard Junkie 05-22-2013 06:05 PM

The first thing to do is to test the substance to see if it is water soluble. Do this with a Q tip dipped in H2O and dab and/or slightly rub the substance with the damp Q tip. If it is water soluble your'e in! Proceed to "soak" as described elsewhere on this forum (use search). If it isn't water soluble consult a professional paper conservator. Dave.

h2oya311 05-22-2013 06:45 PM

Sticky substance

You know you're addicted when...

vintagechris 05-22-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1134869)
The first thing to do is to test the substance to see if it is water soluble. Do this with a Q tip dipped in H2O and dab and/or slightly rub the substance with the damp Q tip. If it is water soluble your'e in! Proceed to "soak" as described elsewhere on this forum (use search). If it isn't water soluble consult a professional paper conservator. Dave.

Sadly, it isn't water soluble. That was the first thing I tried. I think I'm going to try the Goo-Gone.

Peter_Spaeth 05-22-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 1134775)
i saw the title of the thread and thought a proper response might be that you might like your cards a little too much.

LOL too funny.

GoldenAge50s 05-22-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagechris (Post 1134865)
Fred, I've never used Goo-Gone before, is it safe for cards? I'm assuming yes or you wouldn't tell me to do it. Just curious if you have use dit on cards before.

Try it on the poorest, least valuable card in a small area. If you use just a little and wipe it quickly it won't harm the card. If it seems to be working you can get braver w/ it. You just don't want to rub w/ alot of pressure until you see the result.

EvilKing00 05-23-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 1134775)
I saw the title of the thread and thought a proper response might be that you might like your cards a little TOO much.

lol was thinking the same

Bridwell 05-23-2013 08:54 PM

One thing to consider is the type of front of the card. A Topps card or a T206 has a glossy coating on the front that is able to be cleaned. I've tried Un-Du or Quickie Gunk & Goo remover. Sometimes even water will do it. Other types of cards you would damage with that approach because the paper is softer. That's why it doesn't work well on the backs of cards. You could also consider heating the front with a hair dryer. The heat can loosen up the adhesive so you can wipe it off. If that didn't work you could try the soaking technique.

Ladder7 05-23-2013 09:05 PM

apply a very light coating of talc with a gloved finger.