Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cape Cod Baseball League Memorabilia (Pre-War) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133851)

pgellis 03-01-2011 07:33 AM

Cape Cod Baseball League Memorabilia (Pre-War)

5 Attachment(s)
Let's see if anyone has any Pre-War Cape Cod Baseball League memorabilia. I'll start with mine. Here is a uniform jersey from my mother's step-father. It has the Baseball Centenial patch from 1939 on the sleeve. Also shown is a postcard of the team. The player whose jersey this was is in the front row, 1st player from the left.

Let's see if anyone else has any Pre-War Cape Cod Baseball League items:

MacDice 03-01-2011 11:44 AM

Great piece. I am surprised that with the history of the Cape Cod that their is not more piece of memorabilia out there. I love college baseball but I don't have any pieces that predate 1950.

bh3443 03-01-2011 11:55 AM

great stuff

Thank you for sharing the photos. This very historic league in our State is something to be proud of, for sure.
Thanks,
Bill Hedin

scgaynor 03-01-2011 01:39 PM

Even here on the Cape, you rarely see memorabilia more than 10-15 years old. Even now, they don't make that much in the way of souvenirs, and uniforms tend to stay with the team and are used year after year. The few vintage items that are out there seem to come from former players. There is a small, but dedicated, group of Cape Cod Baseball League collectors.

Scott

pastime_treasures 03-01-2011 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm glad to have discovered this link (thanks Craig for emailing it to me). It is long over due...I've been slowly cobbling a collection of vintage Cape League memorabilia together over the past few years and have had trouble finding anything pre 1980's. When I am able to find something new though, it was always worth the wait, effort and money. It is a great speciality for collecting.

peterb69 03-01-2011 05:59 PM

Nice thread on the Cape Cod League.

pastime_treasures 02-05-2012 02:35 PM

Cape Cod Baseball League Update

Just wanted to share....I came across some CCBL letters from July of 1929 signed by different coaches around the league to a player trying to get on a team for the summer. I was also able to get a schedule for that season in very nice condition. Turned out to be a great suprise after a vintage CCBL memorabilia drought of several months.

pastime_treasures 03-24-2012 10:58 AM

1939 Cape Cod Baseball League Batting Trophy

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this pre-war Cape League item this morning....thought I'd share. 1939 batting champion trophy. Presented to Lester Shatzer by the K of C for his .40096 batting average that year.

craigster93 03-25-2012 02:56 PM

Cape Cod League

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mark...That's a nice trophy. You may remember meeting at one of the past GBSCC shows in Wilmington where we discussed Cape League stuff. My collection certainly isn't as advanced as yours, but I have a couple of pieces. My favorite is probably this, a Cotuit jersey worn by former reliever Jeff Reardon when he played on the cape in 1976.

pastime_treasures 03-25-2012 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Craig, Certainly I remember meeting you at the Wilmington show. I'll be there next weekend, hope to run into you again. That Jeff Reardon jersey of your's is great! What an awesome peice of Cape League history. If you ever get ready to sell, by all means, please give me a call first. In case we don't see each other in person, here's a scan of my card. God bless, Mark

pastime_treasures 03-29-2012 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice little lunch break find...I wandered into an antique shop today on my lunch break and walked out with this. An old framed family photo from 1928. It says "Osterville at Hyannis, Everett and Margaret LaRue" in the upper left hand corner. Not a bad piece for my collection.

pgellis 11-10-2012 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just added this Cotuit Kettleers jersey to my collection today. I would say that it is late 1950s, maybe 1960. Added to my Sandwich jersey from 1939 that is in the first post of this thread.

pastime_treasures 11-12-2012 02:04 PM

Nice pick up !!! Old Cape League flannel is almost impossible to find. Very impressive. I'm sorry to say, but I am selling of all of my vintage game used Cape League items. They will be in the spring 2013 Robert Edwards Auction. There will be multiple jerseys, hats, balls, bats, trophies, etc. Enough that REA is planning a full page description. My daughter is going off to college next fall and it has to go.....

craigster93 04-10-2013 01:27 PM

Hey Mark,
I see that your Cape Cod League collection is up at REA. Must have been tough to let it go. It will probably go higher than my budget allows, but good luck!

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=25896

pastime_treasures 04-13-2013 05:27 PM

Thanks Craig. I'm sad to see it go. I hope it goes to a collector who will keep it all together. It took years to hunt all those items down and I'd hate to see it broken up. That is why I chose REA for the lot instead of selling it myself. Take care, Mark