Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spring National Sportscard show in MN???? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=326985)

ullmandds 10-30-2022 08:38 PM

Spring National Sportscard show in MN????

Has anyone seen this? Someone appears to be attempting a "national" like format of a sportscard show here in the twin cities this spring. This is pretty exciting to me as I live here.

Has anyone seen/heard about this?

Would any of y'all set up? Or attend?

Thoughts?

A 4 day show seems pretty ambitious?

https://www.cardshowmn.com/

Peter_Spaeth 10-30-2022 09:03 PM

When does spring start there, June?

bnorth 10-30-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2278913)

Around the 3rd week and they still built a new stadium without a roof.:confused::mad:

ullmandds 10-30-2022 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2278913)

wiseass!

The show is 3rd week april.

Peter_Spaeth 10-30-2022 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2278915)
wiseass!

My only visit to your fair city was for the 1991 Super Bowl. Could not get a flight in after we got tickets so had to fly to Des Moines and rent a car. It starts snowing as soon as my brother and I get on the road. Within an hour we're literally in a white out blizzard on I 35, I'm like what t am I supposed to do I can't see, my brother says just go straight. Somehow got to Minneapolis where it's 12 below zero. You can keep it.

ullmandds 10-30-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2278918)
My only visit to your fair city was for the 1991 Super Bowl. Could not get a flight in after we got tickets so had to fly to Des Moines and rent a car. It starts snowing as soon as my brother and I get on the road. Within an hour we're literally in a white out blizzard on I 35, I'm like what t am I supposed to do I can't see, my brother says just go straight. Somehow got to Minneapolis where it's 12 below zero. You can keep it.

so you WONT be coming to the spring national in mn?

brass_rat 10-30-2022 09:27 PM

Should be interesting to see what develops.

Here's the capacity chart and sizing for all of the meeting rooms and halls at the host hotel (as indicated on the show's website) in case you want to imagine what's possible for the largest of rooms.

https://assets.hyatt.com/content/dam...rt-English.pdf

Peter_Spaeth 10-30-2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2278920)
so you WONT be coming to the spring national in mn?

I actually liked the city a lot. That network of indoor walkways was really cool. Very nice art museum, went there the day before the game. I could see going back at a time the temps were above zero.

ullmandds 10-30-2022 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2278925)
I actually liked the city a lot. That network of indoor walkways was really cool. Very nice art museum, went there the day before the game. I could see going back at a time the temps were above zero.

I was pleasantly surprised when I moved here almost 23 years ago...how vibrant the arts scene was here...the restaurants and entertainment. The warm months are glorious...and you have to endure some cold in the depths of winter.

nolemmings 10-30-2022 10:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up Pete--I will plan on attending. It's been 40+ years since I've been to a card show in Minnesota.

I see the Twins will be home that weekend against Washington and the Yankees come into town on Monday. Gonna grab me a bowl of Wild Rice soup at the Loon Cafe, suck down at least a half dozen Grain Belt Premiums and live the dream. Plus a Minnesota school will have just won the Frozen Four. Should be a great time.

Duluth Eskimo 10-30-2022 10:40 PM

Never heard of the guy, nor the show. He’s planning on having it at the Hyatt which has basically been a shooting gallery within a block the last month or two. Multiple murders and shootings. No mention of autograph guests or advertising, but is asking $200 for a 6ft dealer table. Downtown shows have never worked going back to the 80’s. My bet is this never materializes.

babraham 10-31-2022 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2278931)
Plus a Minnesota school will have just won the Frozen Four. Should be a great time.

No, I think it's North Dakota's turn again this year. ;) :)

isiahfan 10-31-2022 03:04 AM

Nice idea...and MN is a great place...but too close to CHI (for anyone outside the CST time zone) so ain't nobody traveling from more than a few hour drive away for this.

T205 GB 10-31-2022 06:56 AM

I hope it materializes, but I think there are safer and better cities available.

x2drich2000 10-31-2022 07:21 AM

Based on the info Steve provided, looks like 30k floor space for the main hall, 14k for the main ballroom and 4.5k for the 2nd ballroom for a total of a little under 50k. For comparison, the Valley Forge Convention Center (Philly Show old location) is 54k. Definitely not national space, but a good size if using all three rooms for a regional type show.

Tom S. 10-31-2022 04:19 PM

First that I've heard of this. Might be worth checking out for a day or two if it does indeed take place.

CurtisFlood 10-31-2022 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2278908)
Has anyone seen this? Someone appears to be attempting a "national" like format of a sportscard show here in the twin cities this spring. This is pretty exciting to me as I live here.

Has anyone seen/heard about this?

Would any of y'all set up? Or attend?

Thoughts?

A 4 day show seems pretty ambitious?

https://www.cardshowmn.com/

No, I recently cut my distance traveling to shows to 200 miles. That is a lot farther than 200 miles from my home. Just a concession to father time. I also suspect that he is a little late to the party as far as putting on a successful show. Many of the regional shows that have popped up are beginning to struggle a bit for a number of reasons. Some have had shows about every six weeks and it is hard to have that many big shows in one city. It is tough on the vendors and the collectors. They get tired of it and the excitement leaves and so do the collectors. That is the death knell for a regional show.

bcbgcbrcb 11-01-2022 01:42 PM

For those of us who would be coming from warm weather climates like Florida, the third week in April in Minnesota would likely be colder than anything we have ever experienced in our entire lives (except of course that I am originally from New Jersey :D)

ullmandds 03-22-2023 05:22 AM

apparently it's happening!!!!! WHO'S COMING?????? Looking like a balmy early spring here in MN!!!!!

ALBB 03-22-2023 06:03 AM

Minn

Love the area.. Stillwater..Hudson... real nice

Duluth Eskimo 03-22-2023 06:28 AM

Very few of the tables have sold and they have one autograph guest (unknown Viking). No one is going to downtown Murderapolis for a card show. It might happen because they probably got the location for a song, but it will not be successful. A few hearty locals may attend, but a “national”, no.

oldjudge 03-22-2023 07:40 AM

I've curled in Bemidji in February---Minneapolis is balmy.

Snapolit1 03-22-2023 08:55 AM

Gone to Minneapolis on business many times. Never had an issue. Very pretty downtown.

Minneapolis has problems but its hardly the wild west.

I've learned over the years that people's reports on what's a dangerous city or not are usually influenced more by political spin than FBI data. Politicians all around the country talking about how dangerous NYC is and its one of the safest big cities in the world and demonstratively safer than much of small town America. Like the governor or mayor's political party: crime is under control. Don't like his or her politics: crime has never ever been worse.

Tony Gordon 03-22-2023 02:36 PM

I have been thinking about setting up but it is one week after Strongsville and I fear I will be too tired to truck up to MN from Chicago. Tables are cheap which is a nice incentive. The promoter also said I can leave Saturday and skip the Sunday.

Izaak Hoffman 03-22-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2325671)
Very few of the tables have sold and they have one autograph guest (unknown Viking). No one is going to downtown Murderapolis for a card show. It might happen because they probably got the location for a song, but it will not be successful. A few hearty locals may attend, but a “national”, no.

Hi, I am Izaak I am the one who is hosting the show. I would like to make a few comments about the above post and how it is completely wrong.

A lot of tables have sold, we are around 215-230 tables sold, so it is already by far the biggest show in Minnesota. We do have 5 autograph guests and yes they are not super known, but the show is more about the cards and the autograph guests are just an extra I have made the autos super cheap $5 per because I know they are rather unknown, but they are all still professional athletes, and this is not an autograph focused show. I would just like to let everyone know that the show in my eyes is a success and another show is already in the works. We also do have multiple dealers driving and flying in from across the country. If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to email me @ izaakh@mncardshows.com (it is the same email that is on the bottom of the website (Cardshowmn.com).

Thanks
Izaak

ullmandds 03-22-2023 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Gordon (Post 2325824)
I have been thinking about setting up but it is one week after Strongsville and I fear I will be too tired to truck up to MN from Chicago. Tables are cheap which is a nice incentive. The promoter also said I can leave Saturday and skip the Sunday.

I am planning to be there with with lee from Sterling. This will be my first time setting up at a show.

Izaak Hoffman 03-22-2023 07:46 PM

Awsome! He bought his tables early early and has 2 of the best tables location-wise at the show.

mullinsm 03-22-2023 07:55 PM

Vintage at the show

Hi Isaak, thank you for posting and good luck with your show! Any idea on the number of vintage focused dealers who will be setting up? I'm three hours away and could make the drive if it's not all Pokemon and refractors (which are certainly cool too, just not my thing).

I'd also like to say that I think Minneapolis/St Paul is a great metropolitan area. No city is free of problems, but they have a lot of great things going on and I enjoy visiting. Downtown Minneapolis is really fun, the kind of place I wish my hometown of St Louis was more like.

Mike

Izaak Hoffman 03-22-2023 10:57 PM

Hi Mike,

I know for a fact that there will be dealers that have a mix of both modern and vintage and I also know of a handful of dealers that will have only vintage.

Then there are also a lot of dealers that I couldn't tell you what they have, but Minneapolis has a monthly show that most of the dealers have only vintage, and some if not almost all of those dealers will be set up here also. I would say that you'd defiantly be worth making the drive up.

Leon 03-23-2023 06:51 AM

Good luck, Izaak. We need more shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izaak Hoffman (Post 2325986)
Hi Mike,

I know for a fact that there will be dealers that have a mix of both modern and vintage and I also know of a handful of dealers that will have only vintage.

Then there are also a lot of dealers that I couldn't tell you what they have, but Minneapolis has a monthly show that most of the dealers have only vintage, and some if not almost all of those dealers will be set up here also. I would say that you'd defiantly be worth making the drive up.

Rich Klein 03-23-2023 07:27 PM

I do know we at COMC are planning to be at that show and my Dallas teammates are flying up as it's a double benefit as Stephan has family not far from the show.

Regards
Rich

flylikeamoth 03-23-2023 07:58 PM

Going to be a great show!

Definitely will be a great show! I am coming from Seattle to set up and will have Vintage only.

JunkWaxTwins 03-23-2023 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2326239)
I do know we at COMC are planning to be at that show and my Dallas teammates are flying up as it's a double benefit as Stephan has family not far from the show.

Regards
Rich

Yep, wife and I will be setup as we have at the Dallas Card Shows, and Phoenix this weekend under the COMC banner. Al Newman auto is tempting if I have a free moment.

And yep, it's true I've family all over the state. Warroad, Fargo, Roseau, Thief River Falls, Stillwater, Alexandria.... really excited to fly that way again.

Duluth Eskimo 03-24-2023 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izaak Hoffman (Post 2325932)
Hi, I am Izaak I am the one who is hosting the show. I would like to make a few comments about the above post and how it is completely wrong.

A lot of tables have sold, we are around 215-230 tables sold, so it is already by far the biggest show in Minnesota. We do have 5 autograph guests and yes they are not super known, but the show is more about the cards and the autograph guests are just an extra I have made the autos super cheap $5 per because I know they are rather unknown, but they are all still professional athletes, and this is not an autograph focused show. I would just like to let everyone know that the show in my eyes is a success and another show is already in the works. We also do have multiple dealers driving and flying in from across the country. If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to email me @ izaakh@mncardshows.com (it is the same email that is on the bottom of the website (Cardshowmn.com).

Thanks
Izaak

Izaak,
I hope your show is a success. I would have bought two or three tables from you if it didn’t include Thursday and wasn’t downtown. It is not a safe area.

babraham 03-25-2023 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2326566)
Izaak,
I hope your show is a success. I would have bought two or three tables from you if it didn’t include Thursday and wasn’t downtown. It is not a safe area.

I have family and friends that live in Minneapolis so I visit it often.
I've been to downtown Minneapolis many times...for baseball games, hockey games, walked around to some of the restaurants/bars in the evenings. Never once had an issue.

Rich Klein 03-25-2023 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2326566)
Izaak,

One comment on Thursdays. We have a vendor at the Dallas Card show who is now at a point where he does not set up until Friday and does just fine at the shows. So the Thursday issue to me is also one which can be avoided

Rich

Izaak Hoffman 03-26-2023 11:45 AM

I have told dealers this if they asked, but if you really want to get a table, but Thursday is the day that is preventing you from doing so, and you will be there the rest of the days. That is something that could be allowed just because I know that 4 days is a large commitment, mainly if someone wants to do that all they have to do is ask. I know if is 2 or 3 dealers that just couldn't make it Thursday that are coming and setting up Friday.

Then with downtown being unsafe if you feel that way you do not have to leave the hotel. They have a restaurant, bar, and a grab-and-go store in the hotel, so if you feel that unsafe you don't ever have to step foot outside. The show and hotel also have 24/7 security.

Izaak Hoffman 04-15-2023 04:41 PM

SGC will be at the Minnesota card Show

Just Announced that SGC will be at the show. They will be accepting submissions at the show and will be there to walk you through the whole process if needed. More info is coming soon.

ullmandds 04-15-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izaak Hoffman (Post 2332160)
Just Announced that SGC will be at the show. They will be accepting submissions at the show and will be there to walk you through the whole process if needed. More info is coming soon.

great news

Flintboy 04-15-2023 10:10 PM

Izaak,

I wish you nothing but the best. As Leon stated in an earlier post, we need more shows.

Izaak Hoffman 04-18-2023 12:29 PM

SGC Grading Deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izaak Hoffman (Post 2332160)

SGC is offering 15% off the standard grading fee and a 5 business day turnaround time.

cannonballsun 04-22-2023 08:14 AM

Spring National in Minnesota

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2278915)
wiseass!

Is this show going on now ? Has anybody been ? I would be interested in some reviews, if possible.
Thanks.

ullmandds 04-22-2023 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ive been set up here w/lee from sterling auctions since thurs eve. Big show fir the area…really good crowds. Mostly modern sadly.

cannonballsun 04-22-2023 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2333829)
Ive been set up here w/lee from sterling auctions since thurs eve. Big show fir the area…really good crowds. Mostly modern sadly.

Thanks for the response. It's nice that the crowds are big, but too bad it's mostly modern.
I have a collector friend who lives in Minnesota, I tried to get him to check the show out. He hadn't heard anything about it.
We are both big collectors of the 1962 Jell-O set. Minnesota seems to be a fertile ground for those cards. It was a test set back in 1962, most areas didn't see any of it.

Mark17 04-22-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2333829)

Hi, I was at the show Friday and think I was at your table when a really nice thing happened. There was a guy with 2 small children looking at cards, and the dealer offered to give the kids some cards of dogs. Was that you?

ullmandds 04-22-2023 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2333916)
Hi, I was at the show Friday and think I was at your table when a really nice thing happened. There was a guy with 2 small children looking at cards, and the dealer offered to give the kids some cards of dogs. Was that you?

Haha…ya that was me!

Mark17 04-22-2023 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2333931)
Haha…ya that was me!

Well I want to thank you too, because seeing those kids going through those cards was the highlight of the show for me. I think they were happier and more excited than any of the adults who were there buying expensive assets.

x2drich2000 04-22-2023 08:33 PM

Pete, the throwing Wagner, was that yours or Lee's? Set/price?

ullmandds 04-22-2023 09:23 PM

thank you Mark...it was nice to see their smiles! DJ...it's an e90-1...it was priced as if I didn't want to sell it!

edhans 04-23-2023 07:26 AM

re: Spring National Sportscard show in MN????

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2333988)
thank you Mark...it was nice to see their smiles! DJ...it's an e90-1...it was priced as if I didn't want to sell it!

C'mon, Pete. How much?