Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   National Copper Plate article is on line (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=112052)

Bob Lemke 05-06-2009 01:53 PM

National Copper Plate article is on line

For those who followed some of the threads about National Copper Plate Co. player pictures, the article on the set has been posted and is now on-line at sportsCollector Digest.com.

Thanks for all your input!

bcbgcbrcb 05-06-2009 06:08 PM

Thanks, Bob.

I also see that a complete set of 50 National Copper Plates is going to be offered in the upcoming www.Collect.com auction. It's a shame that the entire set is being offered as one lot. Most of us cannot afford a price that high and, in my opinion, I believe higher overall prices would be realized if these were sold individually.

Leon 05-06-2009 07:17 PM

Phil

With all due respect I think with the amount some sets, and large groups, have brought lately that a full set could do better. I think it could go either way but I think there is at least a good chance they might do better as a set. How many sets have we seen sold vs singles? Otherwise, you are absolutely correct that most of us (me included) can't afford a whole set.

Bob Lemke 05-11-2009 03:56 PM

The option was given . . .

to the consignor to offer as singles or as a set. He opted to go as a set. I can see where the Wagner "rookie" and some of the HoFers would do well singly, as would the Baltimore players and some of those who were never on any other "card," but the prospect that some of the "commons" (Marty Bergen, Brickyard Kennedy, etc.) would languish was daunting.

I see Huggins and Scott have a nice run of the later M101-1 singles in their current auction, albeit in comparatively lower grades. It will be interesting to see how they do.

Rich Klein 05-11-2009 04:07 PM

I think it depends on the set

I know that when Lew Lipset auctioned off the Boston Braves Chickering Cabinet find a few years there were some collectors who believed that the total price would be greater if auctioned off as a set since the set was unique and thus the sole collector would be able to set his/her own market value on anything if he/she decided to sell.

This could be a very similar case in that this is the only extant set and although some singles are known; the buyer of the set would then control the market to a significant degree. Thus; a prudent collector/dealer buys the set; Keeps the pieces he/she wants and moves on.

Regards
Rich

bcbgcbrcb 05-11-2009 05:42 PM

I can see the advantages of selling it as a complete set. I guess from a selfish standpoint, it automatically elimiantes my chances of buying the few singles that I am interested in as I would imagine maybe something like 90%+ of serious collectors would not be able to afford the complete set either. As far as partnering up, I think it would be very difficult as most collectors will probably be interested in the big names only as it would be practically impossible to try to put a complete set together. My guess is the winning bidder will keep the set complete and not break it up and sell off singles. I guess we'll wait and see what happens..........

doug.goodman 05-11-2009 10:03 PM

Am I the only one who can't find this auction online?

Doug

Rich Klein 05-12-2009 05:39 AM

Doug

I don't think the auction is on-line yet; all Bob was referring to was the article about that complete set of National Copper Plates.

Regards
Rich

doug.goodman 05-13-2009 12:14 AM

Thanx Rich, that would explain why I can't find the auction, not that I could afford the set, but still...

The article is great, by the way.

slantycouch 05-13-2009 05:57 AM

Great find and good article.

Leon 05-13-2009 06:37 AM

and

And I might add that the good folks at FW Media are now advertisers on our very own Net54 chat board. I always like to give a small shout out to them. Thanks Bob and gang...

http://www.collect.com/auctions.aspx