Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It is with Unimaginable Sadness that we have lost our Dear Ted Zanidakis (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344841)

danmckee 01-08-2024 06:04 PM

It is with Unimaginable Sadness that we have lost our Dear Ted Zanidakis

The Hobby has lost an Amazing Pioneer! Ted was an Icon here and judging by my last thread he was very well liked and respected. Ted moved on to Baseball Card Collecting Heaven tonight, just a few days before he was scheduled to come home.

I am a wreck as I am sure many of you will be too....

We weren't expecting this but as you all know, nothing in life is a Gimme.

I will post details of the services and where to send condolences once the family gives me the ok.

Teddy, I love you to Death! I sure hope you are in Peace my dear friend.

Sincerely,

Dan Mckee

Fred 01-08-2024 06:09 PM

That's horrible news. One thing we can all say is that he will be fondly remembered for all the comradery and the well articulated incredible articles/posts he made. It's a testament to Ted that he was always willing to share his knowledge and enjoyed doing it.

We're all going to miss Ted. A heartfelt condolence to his family on this board and nearest and dearest to him.

Rest in Peace Ted.

kmac32 01-08-2024 06:09 PM

Never met Tedbut know his reputation. Definitely a loss for the collectors word. RIP Ted.

bbcard1 01-08-2024 06:10 PM

That is so sad. Ted was awesome.

prestigecollectibles 01-08-2024 06:10 PM

Such horrible news. Although I never met him, he always seemed like such a nice man willing to share his knowledge. RIP Ted

bigtrain 01-08-2024 06:13 PM

Saw Ted every year when he came to Cooperstown.
A great guy with a wealth of knowledge.

Drew 01-08-2024 06:16 PM

RIP guy
I will always remember the days we ate pizza at Dominic's in Newtown and traded many T206 cards.

drew

JohnP0621 01-08-2024 06:18 PM

RIP Ted Z

I have been fortunate enough and had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Ted along with Dan at several Philly shows. Ted was always so enthusiastic about this Hobby. He was truly a gentleman and will surely be missed. Rip Teddy Z.

Regards
John P

stutor 01-08-2024 06:18 PM

So very sorry to hear this. Ted did so much for the hobby. He will truly be missed.

itjclarke 01-08-2024 06:20 PM

Very sorry to see this. I never knew Ted, maybe exchanged a few messages over the years, but I could always tell by his posts and by the posts of others that he was a truly great, genuine human being. Always willing to share his immense knowledge, to encourage other collectors, and to engage in this hobby with incredible enthusiasm. I suspect this is the way he lived his life in general, and I am sure he will be missed by all who knew him, and by many who didn't. RIP Ted Z.

FrankWakefield 01-08-2024 06:26 PM

I'm devastated.

Life is fragile. Let's be nice to one another. I should work on that myself.

kkkkandp 01-08-2024 06:27 PM

Not a great way to start 2024! :(

RIP, Ted!

Casey2296 01-08-2024 06:28 PM

A sad day, truly a gut punch to this sub and the hobby in general. Will never be another one like Ted. So generous with his time and amazing knowledge.

RIP and condolences to Teds family.

oaks1912 01-08-2024 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Needless to say. Very sad news indeed. I just talked with him yesterday, and planned on checking in regularly. My thoughts and condolences going out to Charlotte, Zoe and Ron, as well as the rest of his extended family. I met Ted on my first trip to Willow Grove in '83 and we formed a fast friendship. One that is treasured forever. Here is a picture of Ted, myself, Jack & Bev Urban at one of Kit Young's Hawaii shows in the 90's

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-08-2024 06:30 PM

He will be missed, just one of those periodic reminders, take the time to chat with those you can, time is finite. I mourn the many conversations I never got to have with Ted.

canjond 01-08-2024 06:30 PM

So very sorry to hear this. Ted and I had many wonderful exchanges. I also have many of his cards in my collection. This one hurts.

brianp-beme 01-08-2024 06:31 PM

Dang...I was looking forward to his return to posting here. Our paths never crossed, but you could tell on the forum here that he was passionate about our hobby, and was so incredibly willing to share his knowledge, thoughts and theories...definitely a collector's collector.

Thanks Ted, we will miss you!

Brian

Sean 01-08-2024 06:31 PM

Very sorry to hear this.

Rhotchkiss 01-08-2024 06:35 PM

Damn. This sucks. Ted was a GREAT guy. Super nice, loved to chat and always happy to help. Plus, he is a t206 legend. This is a huge loss. I am very sad. My heart goes out to his family. Thanks Ted for all the advice and chatter- I hope there is a t206 Wagner waiting for you in heaven.

dbrown 01-08-2024 06:35 PM

The glow of Ted's passion for cards was inspiring and visible to all. What a loss.

David

Bpm0014 01-08-2024 06:43 PM

I can’t even fathom the wealth of knowledge he had. Always, always so willing to share his knowledge and teach the next generation of collectors. His T206 threads were always so informative. RIP

darkhorse9 01-08-2024 06:44 PM

I met Ted once in Cooperstown. He had no idea who I was, but exactly and willingly showed me a stack of Near Mint T206 cards he had. He handed them to me at let me hold them.
He didn't have to, he was just excited to share the hobby with me.
Rest well, Ted.

Robert_Lifson 01-08-2024 06:50 PM

My deepest condolences to all of Ted’s family and friends. He was a true gentleman and scholar, with boundless enthusiasm for the hobby and such great willingness to share his immense knowledge. Few spanned so many eras in the hobby. And he always had a kind word to share. RIP.

DeanH3 01-08-2024 06:55 PM

Oh man that's horrible. RIP Ted. You will be missed a ton.

Leon 01-08-2024 06:59 PM

Such a great man....

I am writing this with a lot of sadness . Just horrible news. Ted has called me every month or two, for almost the whole time the 2009 version of this s/w has been in use ..He always has me put a dot, or take a dot out of, a title to fix some of his threads. And we got to catch up on cards and so forth....It was our way of staying in touch other than the forum itself and the few shows we have been to together. I am going to miss that among other things....

He and Charlotte were the best hosts ever, several years back, when I stayed with them for 3-4 days. We had some great times I will never forget. RIP my friend...and condolences to Charlotte and the rest of the family. A sad day for the hobby.

atx840 01-08-2024 07:07 PM

UGH....

This is heartbreaking. Ted was one of the nicest collectors I have met along this journey, he had some amazing stories and his knowledge of the hobby and sets were unparalleled.

A bout a year ago he invited me down to spend some time with him and his family. I had my own health issues going on and could not fly but was hoping that I could get down over the summer :(

Thank you Ted for the wonderful conversations and stories over the years.

You will be missed.

C

Northviewcats 01-08-2024 07:13 PM

Very sad news. I will miss our T206 discussions at Cooperstown.

rdwyer 01-08-2024 07:17 PM

Met him in LA, and instantly knew he was a great in the Card world. Was very helpful, and bought few things from him then. He was pack collector like I, and will miss him. RIP peace fellow card guru.

Snapolit1 01-08-2024 07:18 PM

Very sad. A nice man. Met him 2x. Loved to help and educate people. RIP. He loved those Leaf cards.

gabrinus 01-08-2024 07:27 PM

Rip

Didn't know Ted personally but he seemed like a great guy and was a champion of the hobby...Jerry

brunswickreeves 01-08-2024 07:32 PM

This is truly heartbreaking. May Ted forever walk in the field of dreams with his loved ones.

blackandgold 01-08-2024 07:37 PM

I only met him once in Cooperstown several years ago, and was able to purchase a few T206’s from him.

I always enjoyed reading his posts, and learned so much from them.

R.I.P. Ted. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Arazi4442 01-08-2024 07:38 PM

Was also never fortunate enough to meet him in person but one of the first things I got from the board was that Ted’s posts were must reads. Unbelievable amount of knowledge. RIP

BobbyStrawberry 01-08-2024 07:55 PM

Terribly sad news. I never met Ted in person but he was always kind and generous in our exchanges on here. I still have the card he sent me for winning one of his trivia quizzes. RIP and condolences to his family if they are reading this.

NYYFan63 01-08-2024 08:02 PM

I’m so sorry to hear this news. I met you and Ted at one of the first Philly shows after Covid.

May he Rest in Peace.

[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcv123 01-08-2024 08:09 PM

Gut punch

That's what it felt like when I read the post. I did not know Ted well, but we shared several conversations about the hobby over the past 4-5 years both in person and by email. He was a genuinely "good guy" who contributed a wealth of knowledge to any who would ask. I will miss him. Condolences to family and friends.

Sterling Sports Auctions 01-08-2024 08:13 PM

Rest In Peace, it was a pleasure knowing him and talking T206s with him.

Will truly be missed but always remembered in the hobby.

Lee

JollyElm 01-08-2024 08:23 PM

If a man can be measured by the way people who knew him talk about him, then as a person, Ted was a Hall of Famer. Rest in peace.

doug.goodman 01-08-2024 08:27 PM

Oh, no!

So sorry to read the title of this thread.

Best wishes to Ted's family, and his friends, starting with you Dan, thank you for keeping us updated on your friend.

We lost a legend, that's for sure.

Kidnapped18 01-08-2024 08:30 PM

Oh wow!!!! A sad day for sure! Will miss all the T206 updates and back and forths.
RIP

Hxcmilkshake 01-08-2024 08:36 PM

Just an encyclopedia of knowledge. RIP.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

StraightRaceCards 01-08-2024 08:42 PM

RIP to Ted Z

Did not know him, but his knowledge and wisdom preceded him.

Grateful for Ted and we can all hope to follow his zeal, passion, and great legacy in card collecting and life

A great man indeed. Will be praying for family and friends during this time.

bbsports 01-08-2024 08:54 PM

As knowledgeable as Teddy was in the card hobby, he was even a better person. This is a sad day for the entire hobby. May he rest in peace.

ValKehl 01-08-2024 09:25 PM

Ted, this forum hasn't been the same during the many weeks you have been unable to post, and it won't be the same in the future. I'll always remember how much you cherished the T213-1 card of Matty that I traded to you many years ago. RIP, Ted.

MVSNYC 01-08-2024 09:28 PM

Oh no, really sad news. Ted and I go back probably 20+ years. Spent time together at some of the Philly shows, and we met up in person a few times in New York & New Jersey to do T206 rare back trades. What a legend in the hobby, a wealth of knowledge as many above have said, and just a really kind man. Rest in peace, my friend.

Jay Wolt 01-08-2024 09:31 PM

Horrible news, RIP

sreader3 01-08-2024 09:37 PM

Oh no. Ted was a hobbyist in the truest sense and so encouraging and gracious to me about T206 research. I am glad to have known him and to have had the chance to break bread with him a couple of times at a National several years ago. I know how proud he was of his family, his work as a Lucent engineer, and the articles he wrote about the 1948 Leaf set. His lifelong passion for baseball cards—especially his beloved T206–was simply unmatched. A Net54 Hall of Famer for sure. RIP my friend.

Harliduck 01-08-2024 09:49 PM

Really sad day for the hobby...he was always there to help since my first days of coming around here. I've learned so much from his posts...he will truly be missed by all. Prayers for the family...

brass_rat 01-08-2024 09:57 PM

Ted was always so nice to me and happy to talk every time I saw him. I truly appreciate the joy he brought to our conversations.

My condolences to Charlotte and all of Ted's friends and family.

Rest in peace.

rjackson44 01-08-2024 10:15 PM

Rip ted will be missed