Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I need the 1915 Cracker Jacks, but do they need me? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299982)

scoutsout47 04-07-2021 06:54 PM

I need the 1915 Cracker Jacks, but do they need me?

So, a little backstory....

I collected 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 on two prior occasions and came within 21 cards of completion the first go around (2008-2014) and within about 45 the second time out (2016-circa 2018). Trying to locate these cards in a PSA 3 made this hunt extremely enjoyable for me, but also frustrated the hell out of me during dry spells. There was some fatigue that set in toward the end of my last pursuit, although I had small children during round two, which made focusing on the collection a tad bit difficult.

Since cutting bait, I’ve done little more than collect some raw, well-centered Dodgers players sets from ‘52-‘53 Topps. It hasn’t been the same, though, and I’ve struggled to identify any other PSA-graded set that would captivate me in the same way. My question: Would it be wise or worthwhile to give it another try?

Some considerations:

1) Prices have gone up, but so too has my income.

2) The possibility of CJ fatigue is very real and I may never recapture that original excitement.

3) The current card market may be the wrong time to buy.

4) There may be something even more amazing out there not yet realized.

Leave it to my dealer brother to gift me a ‘15 Daubert PSA 3 and a dirty syringe to set me on the path. That being said, I’d really appreciate your thoughts.

Casey2296 04-07-2021 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My opinion is that Cracker Jacks are one of the most beautiful sets ever made, I also think they're undervalued. If you're going for a set on a budget 15CJ is the way to go, I'm not sure what the cost difference is but I would imagine double if you're going for the 14CJ. 3's are great since you can find more at an affordable price. I collect 14's but have a limited wish list of about 15 cards for my collection so it works out well. Unless you have unlimited resources when collecting Cracker Jacks I find it easier to take a Buddhist approach and let the cards come to me, and they do, at the right pace where I have the funds to buy them and in the right condition. You can't force collecting, it never works out well, those cards will come to you when they're ready.

Case in point I've been searching for a certain E98 for almost a year now, there's very few examples and everything available was trimmed, so I just accepted that and kept my eyes open knowing if it was meant to be that card would appear. And just tonight as I was researching Gehrig Exhibits a random vintage card website popped up in my search, I clicked on it out of curiosity and there was the card. No Ebay, no auction house, just me, the seller, and that card. Emailed the seller with an offer in my budget range, he emailed back and accepted within 10 minutes and it was done. Just like that. So now I get to change my signature line from 109/120 to 110/120. Fun stuff.

Good luck in the hunt!
-

ullmandds 04-07-2021 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yes...cj's are some of the most beautiful cards ever made! building a cj set on a budget you say!!!!!! hahaha...a budget!!!!

bnorth 04-07-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoutsout47 (Post 2090655)
So, a little backstory....

I collected 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 on two prior occasions and came within 21 cards of completion the first go around (2008-2014) and within about 45 the second time out (2016-circa 2018). Trying to locate these cards in a PSA 3 made this hunt extremely enjoyable for me, but also frustrated the hell out of me during dry spells. There was some fatigue that set in toward the end of my last pursuit, although I had small children during round two, which made focusing on the collection a tad bit difficult.

Since cutting bait, I’ve done little more than collect some raw, well-centered Dodgers players sets from ‘52-‘53 Topps. It hasn’t been the same, though, and I’ve struggled to identify any other PSA-graded set that would captivate me in the same way. My question: Would it be wise or worthwhile to give it another try?

Some considerations:

1) Prices have gone up, but so too has my income.

2) The possibility of CJ fatigue is very real and I may never recapture that original excitement.

3) The current card market may be the wrong time to buy.

4) There may be something even more amazing out there not yet realized.

Leave it to my dealer brother to gift me a ‘15 Daubert PSA 3 and a dirty syringe to set me on the path. That being said, I’d really appreciate your thoughts.

The cards definitely don't need you.:D

If you want to try again I say go for it, the hobby should be what makes you happy.

I have done something similar with T206s. Started collecting them twice before I sold them off. Then I thought maybe just a nice Red Cobb. Then sold the Cobb. For me now every time I think about starting them again I remember how I got tired of them multiple times.

SD 04-07-2021 08:27 PM

Ooh a CJ thread. More please!

1 Attachment(s)
My 2nd favorite set behind 33 goudeys. Here's a perfect snobby CJ pose.

perezfan 04-07-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2090662)
My opinion is that Cracker Jacks are one of the most beautiful sets ever made, I also think they're undervalued. If you're going for a set on a budget 15CJ is the way to go, I'm not sure what the cost difference is but I would imagine double if you're going for the 14CJ. 3's are great since you can find more at an affordable price. I collect 14's but have a limited list of about 15 cards for my collection so it works out well. Unless you have unlimited resources when collecting Cracker Jacks I find it easier to take a Buddhist approach and let the cards come to me, and they do, at the right pace where I have the funds to buy them and in the right condition. You can't force collecting, it never works out well, those cards will come to you when they're ready.

Case in point I've been searching for a certain E98 for almost a year now, there's very few examples and everything available was trimmed, so I just accepted that and kept my eyes open knowing if it was meant to be that card would appear. And just tonight as I was researching Gehrig Exhibits a random vintage card website popped up in my search, I clicked on it out of curiosity and there was the card. No Ebay, no auction house, just me, the seller, and that card. Emailed the seller with an offer in my budget range, he emailed back and accepted within 10 minutes and it was done. Just like that. So now I get to change my signature line from 109/120 to 110/120. Fun stuff.

Good luck in the hunt!
-

Fantastic post! And so spot on...

Patience is a virtue! :)

mr2686 04-07-2021 10:09 PM

There's just something about the CJ sets. Maybe it's because I used to eat CJ at my grandfather's while he taught me about baseball. Maybe it's just the magic of a prize being so beautiful. All I know is that, although I only have one in my collection, I will probably leave this earth with at least a couple more.

T206Collector 04-08-2021 07:05 AM

“You can't force collecting, it never works out well, those cards will come to you when they're ready.”

This

edhans 04-08-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2090662)
a random vintage card website popped up in my search,
-

Glad you found that "random website", Phil:)

Casey2296 04-08-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edhans (Post 2090839)
Glad you found that "random website", Phil:)

The E98 gods we’re smiling on me yesterday Ed, not only did I find your site in the morning, which has some fantastic cards, and picked up a Red Dooin upgrade along with an E121 Sisler batting I found another last night that had 1 E98, just so happens it was one I needed.
You can mark the Blue Wagner off my wish list I sent you yesterday.

Madi$on18joshua 04-08-2021 01:32 PM

1915 cj

Love the post and can understand stopping then coming back. It sounds to me like the CJ's are your passion as you keep coming back. My thought is what if you didn't put such strict parameters on the grade, initially.

Get what is available that you like the overall look of and you can always upgrade the card later.

Good luck!