Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Card Market Spike or Crash Video (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319841)

parkplace33 05-18-2022 07:29 PM

Card Market Spike or Crash Video

Interesting video from a few days ago:

https://youtu.be/_XZyfOvbGNg

Some modern talk but also vintage talk as well.

I was most interested in hearing from the dealers.

bbcard1 05-19-2022 07:44 AM

I expect relative stickiness at current price points for classic sets (mainly T206) and most reasonably scarce prewar.

The tendency on all of us dinosaurs is to lump all the post war stuff together. It's just not the way it is. Some of the Topps update stuff has the scarcity to make it hold for things like the Pujols and Trout rookies.

Honestly the things that would bother me are the cards like the 54 Banks and 55 Koufax that have achieved a high price point despite an abundance of them.

Johnny630 05-19-2022 07:50 AM

Hopefully will get a report from some of the dealers how robust the spending was by buyers at the Pittsburgh show this weekend in Monroeville. I would expect buyers to me more cautious…..idk

Leon 05-19-2022 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I watched most of the film.

Mr. Burdick would have been disappointed in the topic, as I was. But it is certainly a reality. The film was well done.

mrreality68 05-19-2022 01:01 PM

Interesting to watch but o cannot say that anything for me was useful out of it since I do not deal with other sports cards and modern cards

Snapolit1 05-19-2022 01:12 PM

I had 6 cards listed on eBay that just went ice cold. No offers and even sent discounted offers to buyers and just crickets.

With the economy struggling and stock market acting schizo, how could some people not be getting concerned about spending disposable income.

Johnny630 05-19-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2226309)
I had 6 cards listed on eBay that just went ice cold. No offers and even sent discounted offers to buyers and just crickets.

With the economy struggling and stock market acting schizo, how could some people not be getting concerned about spending disposable income.

100% I've been seeing this for over 2 months now...people want to believe REA/Heritage/Memory Lane ect are main street, they're not....I'm sorry it's just not a accurate gauge on collector grade cards in this market.

Flintboy 05-19-2022 02:32 PM

I have never seen Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, or Mays take a dip in prices. Could it happen? Possibly, but I don’t think it’ll be a big dip and I’d bet on a fast recovery. If you’re in it for an investment, I think those cards are your targets.

Exhibitman 05-19-2022 03:35 PM

So, lemme see if I can get this straight:

Dealers who make their livings on selling modern cards in slabs agree that prices have been dropping but see great potential (in their inventories) in the next 3-5 years. And if I want to make some money I should be into the best possible cards of the biggest stars of the major sports.

That's like the ad slogan "preferred by those who like it best".

Gee, thanks, Captain Obvious. When's the big prognostication about the salt content of sea water?

bmattioli 05-19-2022 03:37 PM

Oh this guy??.. Kind of obvious what's going on with the status of the present day financial downturn..

Johnny630 05-19-2022 03:40 PM

It would be my guess that the Guy is Puffing up what he and his group is already heavily invested in.

JeremyW 05-19-2022 03:49 PM

Adam nailed it.

Carter08 05-19-2022 03:58 PM

My uneducated hunch is cards will fare no worse than Bitcoin or the stock market and probably do a little better. Cash doesn’t seem to be a great position either. Best investment is probably foreign companies that make baby formula. :)

Tabe 05-19-2022 04:06 PM

Ah, "Sports Card Investor". That guy is a clown.

Harliduck 05-19-2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flintboy (Post 2226328)
I have never seen Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, or Mays take a dip in prices. Could it happen? Possibly, but I don’t think it’ll be a big dip and I’d bet on a fast recovery. If you’re in it for an investment, I think those cards are your targets.

If those players ever "take a dip", a hundred guys like me will gladly pay lower prices.

Carter08 05-19-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harliduck (Post 2226365)
If those players ever "take a dip", a hundred guys like me will gladly pay lower prices.

That’s why they don’t really take a dip.

Leon 05-20-2022 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter08 (Post 2226372)
That’s why they don’t really take a dip.

+1.....buy on the dip lol

Lorewalker 05-21-2022 10:41 AM

Not much for me there since I am vintage but interesting to listen to and nothing that surprises me.

What was noteworthy was one of the top dealers in the business he spoke with is Jason of OTIA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XZyfOvbGNg&t=589s I assume that is Jason Koonce who is listed on Blowout as someone to avoid and is also the owner of ISA card grading. Small hobby sometimes...

TheBig6 05-23-2022 01:03 AM

I’ve never heard anyone on this forum call their collection a portfolio. I stopped watching after that.

jchcollins 05-23-2022 08:52 AM

Amusing how the concern and videos like this come around in waves at least every 5 years or so. Oh no, my purple parallel Joe Schlabotnik Chrome RC numbered to 5 might not be worth the $6 grand I paid for it last week...

Vintage, at least since the dawn of the retail hobby 40+ years ago at most just cools off. Then in the next bubble prices climb, reach new heights, and then level off again. Sometimes it's connected with obvious signals from the greater economy, sometimes not.

Glad I'm not much into the shiny stuff...

Touch'EmAll 05-23-2022 09:34 AM

Friday I listed 13 modern PSA cards. 5 sold thru the weekend - Mike Trout, Curry, Yelich. I list at reasonable BIN. I did make offer on an early Nolan Ryan, had slight remorse as my offer was quite fair and rather solid. Ha, the seller came back and wanted more, no thanks but wish them luck.