Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Show a Card that is 'Shocking' (whatever that means to you personally)... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=315998)

JollyElm 05-04-2023 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd add a bit of a call back to post #78...

Attachment 569872

seanofjapan 05-04-2023 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sadaharu Oh lighting Shigeo Nagashima’s cigarette in bed on a 1974 Calbee card took me by surprise when I first saw it.

G1911 05-04-2023 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since we've posted basketball too here I'm going to flex the board rules slightly. One of my favorite "WTF?" cards. This is from the tough E77 issue of 24 cards, 23 of which are nice cards. I don't know what happened here. The artist painted half his shirt and then decided there wasn't enough man boob on the card so he better not finish the shirt? He portrayed Kaufman shirtless and then decided half a shirt would look better? Nobody ever noticed how absurd the picture is?

JollyElm 05-04-2023 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2337409)
Since we've posted basketball too here I'm going to flex the board rules slightly. One of my favorite "WTF?" cards. This is from the tough E77 issue of 24 cards, 23 of which are nice cards. I don't know what happened here. The artist painted half his shirt and then decided there wasn't enough man boob on the card so he better not finish the shirt? He portrayed Kaufman shirtless and then decided half a shirt would look better? Nobody ever noticed how absurd the picture is?

The first 'wardrobe malfunction'?

savedfrommyspokes 05-05-2023 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photobomber, clearly just leans on into the shot.

G1911 05-05-2023 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2337417)
The first 'wardrobe malfunction'?

Here's another caramel wardrobe malfunction, from Philadelphia Caramel this time. Prize fighters sometimes didn't wear much, but this gentleman on the right has his shorts drawn only above his ass with his cheeks hanging out. No wonder they didn't put his name on the card! Little embarrassing.

G1911 05-11-2023 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did you know there is a prostate cancer awareness relic baseball card? Of an unnamed player! I wonder how this was used...

commishbob 05-11-2023 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Reddy Kilowatt playing card fits the bill I think.

Attachment 570820

philliesfan 05-11-2023 11:14 AM

Now that IS shocking!

JollyElm 07-24-2023 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This card has always freaked me out.

As a die-hard Mets fan and the son of a pair of Dem Bums fanatics, I was well aware that Gil Hodges died suddenly during spring training 1972, and this card (#465) might have actually been released after he died (talk about further creepiness, the 1972 O Pee Chee version has "DECEASED April 2, 1972" prominently displayed on the front of the card!!). It's bad enough that I was a young kid staring into the soul of a man who had JUST died, but the color balance of the card adds so much more ghoulishness to it. The blue of his eyes is amiss, so it gives them a haunting and eerie see-through quality, as if he's a ghost looking right through you. And further, assuming the pic was taken during the 1971 season, he was ONLY 47 years old, although he looks decades older.

However (if you can ignore all I just wrote, which I personally cannot), with the beautiful combination of red and blue (and white, Go USA!!!!!!), it really is a wonderful looking card 50+ years later...

Attachment 581358

JustinD 07-25-2023 10:44 AM

The first thing I thought of was that my brother and I both had the Garbage pail Kids of our names (depending on the series) each year stuck to our dresser mirrors. I thought immediately of his in the first series ( I guess it's easy to figure out my brother's name, lol).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dxQAA...t3/s-l1600.jpg

Kutcher55 07-25-2023 07:40 PM

Wow this has turned into a great thread.

Hodges was a heavy smoker they say. Kind of odd that such an apparently well put together guy, great player, great coach, good family man would smoke so hard but I guess a lot of guys from his generation did that.

mortimer brewster 07-26-2023 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kutcher55 (Post 2358844)
Wow this has turned into a great thread.

Hodges was a heavy smoker they say. Kind of odd that such an apparently well put together guy, great player, great coach, good family man would smoke so hard but I guess a lot of guys from his generation did that.

Hodges was a paid spokesman for Lucky Strike Cigarettes. If you listen to the final Brooklyn Dodger broadcast available on Youtube you can hear one of his commercial spots.

Any baseball card featuring Bill Tuttle with a wad on chewing tobacco in his cheek is retro shocking to me seeing how he was the face of the anti tobacco movement in the 1990's. He was terribly disfigured and toured Spring Training with Joe Garagiola and lectured on the dangers of tobacco. RIP to both men.