Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Outing a 53 Topps Mantle Auction... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=332075)

Harliduck 02-23-2023 09:06 PM

Outing a 53 Topps Mantle Auction...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37452194329...Q&LH_Auction=1

Amazing to me that the "do not alter"...has been altered...clearly a reprint...seller has "0" feedback...yet, it's up to $570?? Who is bidding on this garbage? Someone is going to get lucky it won't pass Ebays new authentication process...assuming the winner is stupid enough to pay. This one cracked me up...:)

irv 02-24-2023 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harliduck (Post 2317593)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37452194329...Q&LH_Auction=1

Amazing to me that the "do not alter"...has been altered...clearly a reprint...seller has "0" feedback...yet, it's up to $570?? Who is bidding on this garbage? Someone is going to get lucky it won't pass Ebays new authentication process...assuming the winner is stupid enough to pay. This one cracked me up...:)

There was recently a Jackie Robinson card for sale by a big seller (may have been posted here?) that was bid up to and I think just slightly over $2,000 dollars? If one had of looked at the back of the card they would have clearly seen it was a reprint as it was printed right on the card. :eek:

gonefishin 02-24-2023 03:45 PM

Someone is going to be disappointed and ripped off. I'm seeing that - home made - Guaranteed Authentic sticker on several listings lately. Just another method of "fish bait". Crazy and criminal.

gonefishin 02-25-2023 11:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just had to do a follow up. Attached is a picture of the card that has a comparable "Guaranteed Authentic" sticker. It, of course, is a 52 Mantle. It's currently at auction by a company that has several questionable listings. The bid is at $5,000 already and it closes tomorrow.

It took me about 2 seconds of reviewing the pictures that it is fake. It is a type I Mantle. It should have a missing print dot in the lower left corner of the black border - it does not. The h and s in Right and DiMaggio's on the reverse should be aligned - they are not. Without having the card in hand to do more extensive research - I'm 100% positive it is fake.

They also have this Tom Brady rookie - graded a mint 9. Check out the photo - it doesn't even have the grading company! It is at $350 already!

Is this crazy or what? I've notified the host auction company that this auction is a fraud, but it continues.

People see these cards and think "What a Great Opportunity!" They don't realize they're being ripped off and refuse to face reality - it is NOT REAL.

When is this going to stop?

jayshum 02-25-2023 12:53 PM

Listings like these are why eBay has their authentication system in place. It may not be perfect, but it will end up helping out the winners of these auctions.

gonefishin 02-25-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2318095)
Listings like these are why eBay has their authentication system in place. It may not be perfect, but it will end up helping out the winners of these auctions.

You're right Jay, although I really don't like the wait to go through the process, you're absolutely right when it comes to a new collector that doesn't know the difference.

The same auction house also has a couple of "autographed" Babe Ruth baseballs. It is absolutely sickening.

jayshum 02-25-2023 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2318099)
You're right Jay, although I really don't like the wait to go through the process, you're absolutely right when it comes to a new collector that doesn't know the difference.

The same auction house also has a couple of "autographed" Babe Ruth baseballs. It is absolutely sickening.

It's been over a week and a half and I'm still waiting to receive 2 inexpensive commons from Greg Morris Cards so it's not just the authentication process that slows down receiving purchases. I've had 5 or 6 cards go through the process and it's probably added at most a week to my getting them, but I'm ok with waiting if I can feel a little better that what I'm buying is more likely to be legit.

irv 02-25-2023 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2318095)

I forgot about that. :o
I reported the card John posted above so that could explain why it is still up?
Personally, (but I don't know the inner workings of eBay) I think it would be easier/cheaper just to remove these cards and ban/block the seller(s) but I assume, once it goes through the auth system, that is when it will be done?

G1911 02-25-2023 04:52 PM

It always amazes me what terrible fakes frequently get bid up to. People will spend thousands on a card they know nothing about and will not bother to take even 30 seconds to Google if it’s real.

The authentication program will surely help some really, really dumb people. I’m against it personally because I care more about my convenience than funneling cash to the graders and saving idiots from experiencing the consequences of their stupidity.

gonefishin 02-25-2023 05:23 PM

I agree with everything said, but the auction that has these fakes listed is an auction house called Chicken Scratch Auctions. So there really isn't a safety net involved once the auction ends. Sad - maybe a law suit or charges would get their attention.

G1911 02-25-2023 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2318193)
I agree with everything said, but the auction that has these fakes listed is an auction house called Chicken Scratch Auctions. So there really isn't a safety net involved once the auction ends. Sad - maybe a law suit or charges would get their attention.

Wow, the Brady is even one of the three items highlighted in their live auctioneers blurb/ad. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/auct.../8518/csa-llc/

Clearly a stellar, totally legit auction company. And only a 25% buyers premium for their low effort listings of fraudulent shit!

gonefishin 02-25-2023 06:01 PM

Exactly! Of course, no refunds allowed for ANY reason. Ridiculous. I notified LA twice with emails. I haven't heard back. The autographed Ruth baseballs, one has a bid of 5K, have COAs from companies that have been banned by ebay and are on the fraud list!

Where is the due diligence and who is complicit in this crap!

G1911 02-25-2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2318207)
Exactly! Of course, no refunds allowed for ANY reason. Ridiculous. I notified LA twice with emails. I haven't heard back. The autographed Ruth baseballs, one has a bid of 5K, have COAs from companies that have been banned by ebay and are on the fraud list!

Where is the due diligence and who is complicit in this crap!

Due diligence? Ethics? Not defrauding people? Basic decency? Why bother, when you can put in no effort and clumsily list fake crap and get paid!

I have some baseballs, a pen, and internet access. Let’s start an auction company.

raulus 02-26-2023 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2318215)
Due diligence? Ethics? Not defrauding people? Basic decency? Why bother, when you can put in no effort and clumsily list fake crap and get paid!

I have some baseballs, a pen, and internet access. Let’s start an auction company.

Don’t forget to start your authentication certificate mill to go with it.

gonefishin 02-26-2023 11:23 AM

I looked at all the auction items - I can't believe the bids on the signed Babe Ruth baseball. I comes with a COA from a company that has been banned from ebay! It's already at $5,500! Still people bid.

The Michael Jordan's are fake also. They are already at 2K or so. These poor people are going to be heartbroken when they attempt to get them graded.

I just can't believe this crap is still happening in our hobby.

G1911 02-26-2023 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2318452)
Don’t forget to start your authentication certificate mill to go with it.

Excellent point. If you purchase the printer to produce these certificates, I’ll cut you in on a 15% ownership stake in my new auction company, Totally Legit Collectibles.

Then I can make stickers and stick them on my certificates using a different brand name, to validate that these items are in the top 10% of authenticity and cash in twice.