Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hiring Writers For Sports Card Website (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300768)

muck 04-22-2021 12:44 PM

Hiring Writers For Sports Card Website

This is a paid ad

My company recently launched CardLines.com. We're looking to expand and improve our content and are hiring writers with sports card experience to help us on that mission.

We're looking for writers who:
--have a high level of knowledge regarding sports cards. CardLines.com leans modern but there's plenty of room for vintage topics.
--are willing to do research
--are willing to accept topic assignments
--have some basic natural writing skills. you don't need to be a professional writer.

See www.cardlines.com for the type of content we publish.

Please drop me a PM if interested. Thanks.

muck 05-04-2021 12:50 PM

Giving this one bump. We dad some good writers reach out - thank you. If anyone else is interested please get in touch with me.

vintagetoppsguy 05-04-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muck (Post 2099416)
Giving this one bump. We dad some good writers reach out - thank you. If anyone else is interested please get in touch with me.

Any editors? :D

muck 05-04-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2099444)
Any editors? :D

Sigh, see how badly we need one?!

Really the role is more about content planning and site management than grammar editing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

muck 09-27-2021 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muck (Post 2095569)
This is a paid ad

My company recently launched CardLines.com. We're looking to expand and improve our content and are hiring writers with sports card experience to help us on that mission.

We're looking for writers who:
--have a high level of knowledge regarding sports cards. CardLines.com leans modern but there's plenty of room for vintage topics.
--are willing to do research
--are willing to accept topic assignments
--have some basic natural writing skills. you don't need to be a professional writer.

See www.cardlines.com for the type of content we publish.

Please drop me a PM if interested. Thanks.

I updated the OP (and am bumping the thread with Leon's permission).

We've made some progress since I started this thread and are looking for more writers. Please drop me a note if you're interested.

maniac_73 09-27-2021 11:04 AM

Just poked around your site and I love the layout and content! Im a tech geek so writing isn't my strong point and cant help you on the journalism side, but I will make your site a destination.
Thanks!

muck 09-27-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2148524)
Just poked around your site and I love the layout and content! Im a tech geek so writing isn't my strong point and cant help you on the journalism side, but I will make your site a destination.
Thanks!

Thanks - I really appreciate the positivity and the eyeballs on the site.

We do have a data component to the site that our tech guys are battling. I'm not leading up that side of things and it's all behind the curtain at the moment, but if by chance you want to hear more - drop me a PM. The more people we have involved with card expertise, the better.

muck 09-27-2021 07:12 PM

There have been some questions about how topic selection works, and I think it's best explained by describing our process.

On Monday morning I have a meeting with our editor and we review topics we need covered in the upcoming week. Then we go through the list and match up the topics with our writing staff. We try to match topics to the writers most capable of covering it. The topics won't necessarily be directly in their wheelhouse, but we try to respect their interests and abilities.

Sometimes the topics will be related to what the author wrote the week before. And sometimes our writers come up with their own topics. It tends to work out in the end for most.

But the big caveat is that writing is work, and regularly our writers have to write about things they're not really into. For instance, we don't have a hockey buff on staff, and someone has to cover the upcoming NHL season and related releases. We didn't have a pokemon expert, so someone had to do the homework and write up poke. We need to cover timely/trending topics, but that doesn't mean we don't value an article (or a few) about 1895 Mayo's. We seek a balance.

Hope that helps you understand what you might be getting yourself into. If you're on the fence / have questions, please reach out.

Anyone who PM'd me who hasn't heard back - I'll get back to you tomorrow.