Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with this Babe Ruth Pinback (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118242)

JoeTheBoss 12-01-2009 08:55 AM

Help with this Babe Ruth Pinback

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Again,
I'm interested in purchasing this pin.
Can anybody give me some information regarding it an an opinion on price?
Thanks,
Arnold

base_ball 12-01-2009 10:24 AM

This is one of the many Babe Ruth "Quaker Oats" premiums. A Google search for "Babe Ruth Champions" and "Quaker Oats" will yield tons of info about your pin and many other products in this line. The good news is that your pin is somewhat less common and has probably not been reproduced over the years as have some of the other Ruth pins in this series. The other good news is that the pin is still fairly common and thus sells reasonably. $25 & up.

JoeTheBoss 12-01-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by base_ball (Post 764830)
This is one of the many Babe Ruth "Quaker Oats" premiums. A Google search for "Babe Ruth Champions" and "Quaker Oats" will yield tons of info about your pin and many other products in this line. The good news is that your pin is somewhat less common and has probably not been reproduced over the years as have some of the other Ruth pins in this series. The other good news is that the pin is still fairly common and thus sells reasonably. $25 & up.

I'm told that welds on the back of these pins are funky.
This pin is in premium or excellecnt condition with a funky weld on the back.
Does that make a difference?
Arnold

base_ball 12-01-2009 11:43 AM

I've handled a few of these and as far as I remember (pardon my lack of pin vocabulary) they all had the funky squeeze-the-eyelet mechanism that grasped onto the post mounted perpendicularly on the "medal."

JoeTheBoss 12-01-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by base_ball (Post 764847)
I've handled a few of these and as far as I remember (pardon my lack of pin vocabulary) they all had the funky squeeze-the-eyelet mechanism that grasped onto the post mounted perpendicularly on the "medal."

Joseph,
The one I'm interested in has a funky weld that even looks as if it was an afterthought.

I'm wondering if that's normal for the way these were produced.

Oldtix 12-01-2009 04:12 PM

Here's the back of the pins.

http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/a...ldtix/1930.jpg

JoeTheBoss 12-02-2009 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtix (Post 764899)

Rick,
Thanks for your photo...
Heres a photo of the one in Question.
What do you think/
Arnold

JoeTheBoss 12-02-2009 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Less confussion.

Here's the back of the pin that I'm interested in purchasing.

Does it look like its been re welded or do some come like this?

The weld is approx. a little less then 1/4" raised off the pin.

Oldtix 12-02-2009 01:28 PM

Looks like the original pin was reattached...but at least it's the original pin. As other posters have mentioned, there would be some loss of value but it's not an expensive item to begin with. The front looks great!

JoeTheBoss 12-02-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtix (Post 765081)
Looks like the original pin was reattached...but at least it's the original pin. As other posters have mentioned, there would be some loss of value but it's not an expensive item to begin with. The front looks great!

Thanks Rick... My cost would be $26.00 for the pin.
Buy or No Buy?
Arnold

Oldtix 12-02-2009 04:09 PM

That's up to you, Joe. It's not particularly rare but "Babe Ruth" items are often overpriced by dealers. There's one offered on ebay right now for $99.99...which is ludicrous. If it makes you happy, do it. If you're prone to buyer's remorse, let it go...

JoeTheBoss 12-03-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtix (Post 765137)
That's up to you, Joe. It's not particularly rare but "Babe Ruth" items are often overpriced by dealers. There's one offered on ebay right now for $99.99...which is ludicrous. If it makes you happy, do it. If you're prone to buyer's remorse, let it go...

Thanks Rick.... There's another one on ebay for about $20.00 including shipping that doesnt seem to have the reweld issue as well.
Arnold