Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SGC will NOT offer On-Site Grading at The National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305452)

prestigecollectibles 07-22-2021 09:41 PM

SGC will NOT offer On-Site Grading at The National

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRpJcRHFznC/

ajjohnsonsoxfan 07-23-2021 12:06 AM

wow seems like a missed opportunity to me

wazoo 07-23-2021 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan (Post 2125728)
wow seems like a missed opportunity to me

It’s a no brainer.

chriskim 07-23-2021 03:53 AM

I guess they don't want to upset people if they know they can't meet the same day return deadline.

bobbyw8469 07-23-2021 05:40 AM

They are placing a big bet on the outcome. They see what PSA is doing and are taking a chance on doing the opposite.

mrreality68 07-23-2021 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2125758)
They are placing a big bet on the outcome. They see what PSA is doing and are taking a chance on doing the opposite.

I think it is a good a right thing to do. And although doing it gives those at Nationals a choice to me it is better optics and more professional to their existing customers to focus on taking care of those that are already in their system in the process of being graded

brianclat11 07-23-2021 06:13 AM

National Card Grading

SGC is winning on the customer service and price front. It seems a little disingenuous for PSA to grade during the National at outrageous prices when people(including me) have been waiting months for them to complete their backlog.

bobbyw8469 07-23-2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianclat11 (Post 2125770)
SGC is winning on the customer service and price front. It seems a little disingenuous for PSA to grade during the National at outrageous prices when people(including me) have been waiting months for them to complete their backlog.

Months??? Some of us have waited over a year. Some of us have packages that have gotten lost that we are not sure if we are ever going to see them again or not. If I was a big shot at SGC, I would say it is a no brainer NOT to grade at the National. While some may not mind the price gouging for the convenience of getting their cards graded at the national, for the average collector, it is sure to leave a sour taste in their mouth.

Johnny630 07-23-2021 06:27 AM

I understand but it's disappointing to me. I love their service and brand....SGC has the talent, team of people, and skill to pull it off making even more money and new customers along the way. You will miss 100% of the shots by not taking a shot. Peter even says at the start of his statement this National is expected to be gangbusters, why miss this major opportunity?

I'm hoping next year SGC will grade on site at the National.

Rhotchkiss 07-23-2021 06:41 AM

No on-site grading is one thing, but why not accept take home submissions?

That makes even less (indeed zero) sense to me.

Brian Van Horn 07-23-2021 07:01 AM

So, SGC is showing up to the National and declining income. If there is a backup in grading, this is understood. If not, hmmm.

bobbyw8469 07-23-2021 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2125779)

Agreed...they should at least do that.

Oscar_Stanage 07-23-2021 07:27 AM

most of their announcements are veiled shots exposing what PSA is not doing

bobbyw8469 07-23-2021 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2125793)
most of their announcements are veiled shots exposing what PSA is not doing

The grading game has experienced unprecedented growth. I am kinda amazed that no one saw this coming while the writing was smack dab in front of them. If the time is ripe for SGC to grow in the grading game, it is now while PSA is experiencing all sorts of hiccups.

Lorewalker 07-23-2021 08:57 AM

So does this mean the bulk of the operation stays back and continues getting out submissions? They are clearly on a roll in FL and this is an unprecedented move--to not grade onsite at the largest show of the year and one that did not take place last year.

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianclat11 (Post 2125770)
SGC is winning on the customer service and price front.

Not on the sales front, at least for me. Very disappointed at some recent SGC vintage prices realized on ebay. Not even in the vicinity of the PSA equivalent. HOF rookie cards too. And interestingly, on other cards, people only seem interested in knowing if the cards will cross.

Lorewalker 07-23-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2125833)
Not on the sales front, at least for me. Very disappointed at some recent SGC vintage prices realized on ebay. Not even in the vicinity of the PSA equivalent.

Yeah...it is disappointing. They do a better job than any of the grading companies overall in terms of accuracy...from my pov. I also prefer their holder.

Does not sound like they are being bought up by PSA unless of course the reason they are not doing onsite grading is due to the fact they will be grading for PSA at the show. :eek:

butchie_t 07-23-2021 09:25 AM

Does SGC grade autographed cards or not? I have heard here the answer is no, but when I look at their web page, they have them?!?

I have a number of autographed Todd Helton cards that I am considering, much as it pains me to say, getting slabbed. I am not sure I will be alive long enough for PSA to cater to the little people again so I am considering my options.

Signed,

Confused in Colorado.

mrreality68 07-23-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Good point and that would be excellent customer service

Lorewalker 07-23-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Why not just ship the stuff in before leaving rather than dragging it to Chi and then waiting for them to get it back to FL, sort it, etc a week or so later? That makes zero sense to me.

bobbyw8469 07-23-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2125895)
Why not just ship the stuff in before leaving rather than dragging it to Chi and then waiting for them to get it back to FL, sort it, etc a week or so later? That makes zero sense to me.

I think he is referring to people that have cards at the show that want to get them graded. IE - walkups.

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2125836)
Yeah...it is disappointing. They do a better job than any of the grading companies overall in terms of accuracy...from my pov. I also prefer their holder.

Does not sound like they are being bought up by PSA unless of course the reason they are not doing onsite grading is due to the fact they will be grading for PSA at the show. :eek:

I don't recall the disparities I am seeing in prices ever being this great.

bobbyw8469 07-23-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2125920)

These are unprecedented times. Truly.

wondo 07-23-2021 11:39 AM

Nat certainly knows what he is doing.

bobbyw8469 07-23-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 2125923)
Nat certainly knows what he is doing.

Hmmmmmm.

Lorewalker 07-23-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2125920)

It is not a shock. All the hype in the market is about PSA graded material. The product now promotes itself.

And to the person who gave Nat credit, this phenomena was here well before Nat was around. If a grading scandal does not derail this train, I am not sure it really requires anyone running the company to do much other than keep the doors open.

Rhotchkiss 07-23-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2125895)

For me, Because I have cards a number of five figure cards and a few that are worth well $50k a piece and I feel more comfortable giving them in hand than sending through the mail. Make any sense now?

Also, it would be good for people at show who buy raw or pull things from packs.

Johnny630 07-23-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2125976)
For me, Because I have cards a number of five figure cards and a few that are worth well $50k a piece and I feel more comfortable giving them in hand than sending through the mail. Make any sense now?

Also, it would be good for people at show who buy raw or pull things from packs.

Exactly !

nineunder71 07-23-2021 03:57 PM

First off, You’re an anomaly. And I agree with the other guy for us average joe’s, makes way more since to send the average card through the mail for $30 and wait a couple weeks, instead of paying $200 and having it back in a day or two.

Second, just curious, are you really submitting $50K+ cards to SGC??

I mean, I use SGC, but only because I’m a cheap-a**. So, if you do too, I feel better :p

Quote:

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2021 04:11 PM

Not where I would go with an expensive card these days unless PSA wouldn't grade it.

Rhotchkiss 07-23-2021 04:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have many cards I would like reholdered that are close to or exceed $50k (see a few below), I have one very rare raw T206 HOF fron-backn combo that I want in an SGC slab, and I have a T206 Crawford Brown Lenox, incorrectly labeled by PSA as black, that I want in an SGC slab.

I prefer SGC to PSA, especially with very rare items - I trust SGC infinitely more

nineunder71 07-23-2021 04:31 PM

That is awesome to hear. And, me too, however I think we are in the minority

Lorewalker 07-23-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Could see where it would be convenient for you and it might be that SGC would make an exception for a VIP collector but no grading company scales their business model to the elite collectors. Would not make sense. Hopefully you can make an arrangement with them.

mrreality68 07-23-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2126041)
I have many cards I would like reholdered that are close to or exceed $50k (see a few below), I have one very rare raw T206 HOF fron-backn combo that I want in an SGC slab, and I have a T206 Crawford Brown Lenox, incorrectly labeled by PSA as black, that I want in an SGC slab.

I prefer SGC to PSA, especially with very rare items - I trust SGC infinitely more

Very good plan and very nice cards

Oscar_Stanage 07-23-2021 05:16 PM

I don't get why people think SGC is going to 'close the gap'. it will never happen. There are very few people who know or care about the nuances of grading, which the only market that SGC can compete in. PSA has the most slabs out there, that trade the most frequently and that is not going to change. its liquidity.

Too many people are ok with waiting 10 months for cards. I don't get it, but I do not have to. I am a rare breed. Ive bought expensive cards in PSA slabs, and cross them into SGC. I have destroyed $1000s in 'value' doing so (and most crossed to lower grade to boot). I don't care what a flipper thinks my cards are worth because I don't sell them. and if I do, I will sell to a collector. And, FWIW, a lot of the 'premium' disappears when you actually look at the card itself, and account for time differences in prices. cant compare the price on 5 PSA 7s that sold in the last week vs a last SGC sale from May.

Rhotchkiss 07-23-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2126053)
Could see where it would be convenient for you and it might be that SGC would make an exception for a VIP collector but no grading company scales their business model to the elite collectors. Would not make sense. Hopefully you can make an arrangement with them.

My situation notwithstanding, I would think that a card grading and authentication company (SGC), advertising themselves at the largest card show of the year, would be accept cards to take back home to grade and authenticate. I can understand if they didn't want to bring employees from FLA to Chicago and divert resources away from cards already in the cue. But why not accept cards to take back and grade? There must be a reason, and I will not be at the National, so I really dont care either way.... but I sure hope SGC accepts cards at the next Philly or Chantilly show.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-23-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2126081)
My situation notwithstanding, I would think that a card grading and authentication company (SGC), advertising themselves at the largest card show of the year, would be accept cards to take back home to grade and authenticate. I can understand if they didn't want to bring employees from FLA to Chicago and divert resources away from cards already in the cue. But why not accept cards to take back and grade? There must be a reason, and I will not be at the National, so I really dont care either way.... but I sure hope SGC accepts cards at the next Philly or Chantilly show.

Bummer. Was hoping to see you there, missed you at Chantilly this last time too.

Rhotchkiss 07-23-2021 09:24 PM

Hi Scott. Thanks for the shout out. I will see you soon. And I must see those Rose Co’s you have coming to auction. Have fun in Chicago

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-24-2021 05:54 AM

They're with me wherever I go lol. Did you read the saga about getting them graded? I'll have them in Chantilly in the fall, hope to see you there!

Lorewalker 07-24-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2126081)

But ya just got done telling me about your boatload of $50K+ cards you were upset they would not take home when you are not in fact even going.:confused:

PSA is not taking home submissions either. To me it makes nothing but sense that both are refusing to take home subs for collectors.

Johnny630 07-24-2021 10:00 AM

Heres the deal... I know it sucks but..They’re not accepting take home submissions for one reason and one reason only...they don’t want to be responsible for your cards God Forbid something happens in transit.

Prob saves on their insurance too.

Again the Most Important Thing In this Industry is Money.

Yoda 07-24-2021 01:50 PM

Where is Beckett in all this?

prestigecollectibles 07-24-2021 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2126327)

This is on their website.

glynparson 07-24-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2126075)
I don't get why people think SGC is going to 'close the gap'. it will never happen. There are very few people who know or care about the nuances of grading, which the only market that SGC can compete in. PSA has the most slabs out there, that trade the most frequently and that is not going to change. its liquidity.

Too many people are ok with waiting 10 months for cards. I don't get it, but I do not have to. I am a rare breed. Ive bought expensive cards in PSA slabs, and cross them into SGC. I have destroyed $1000s in 'value' doing so (and most crossed to lower grade to boot). I don't care what a flipper thinks my cards are worth because I don't sell them. and if I do, I will sell to a collector. And, FWIW, a lot of the 'premium' disappears when you actually look at the card itself, and account for time differences in prices. cant compare the price on 5 PSA 7s that sold in the last week vs a last SGC sale from May.

Yeah you really showed them by pissing money away. Sounds like a real brilliant move.

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2126327)

Other than Star BKB where there isn't a choice, I can't even remember the last Beckett card I bought haha.