Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is Bump (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=137349)

39special 05-26-2011 05:54 PM

What is Bump

I've only been on this fourm a couple of months.I started buying some stuff,and noticed some time I'll see someone post Bump.I don't want to sound like an idiot,but what does Bump mean.This is a great fourm by the way.I've learned more about the hobby in a few months on this forum then Ive learned since I got back into the hobby 5 years ago.

mintacular 05-26-2011 06:01 PM

Bump

A "bump" is when a thread goes up to the top of the list on a page, so oftentimes sellers will "bump" there sale thread which makes it more visible at the top of the page....Any reply to a thread has the effect of "bumping" a thread. There is a certain etiquette involved where you are not supposed to be constanly bumping your thread since that is impolite to other sellers, i think you can do it once a day though

Jaybird 05-26-2011 06:08 PM

IMO once a day is a bit too often. I use the rule once every 3 days but even then, I let mine drift weeks, months. I've had people contact me off of a long since dead item so I figure I don't need to clog up the traffic.

Robextend 05-26-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 897015)
IMO once a day is a bit too often. I use the rule once every 3 days but even then, I let mine drift weeks, months. I've had people contact me off of a long since dead item so I figure I don't need to clog up the traffic.

Same here, I usually bump my wantlists once a month. I will bump an item for sale after a few days.

Chris Counts 05-26-2011 06:32 PM

I agree Jason. If I bump at all, I generally wait a week. And I've had buyers contact me a month after I listed something. Also, I don't like it when a seller posts separate threads for single items in the same section. Sometimes you'll see three or four threads in a row from the same seller. It's easy to list multiple items in one thread and lots of people do it. Most of the sellers here are very respectful and courteous, but we do have a couple "bump" kings that frequent the BST section. I also suspect some people bump in response to other people overbumping ...

Cerberus 05-26-2011 06:48 PM

Bump

39special 05-26-2011 07:12 PM

Thanks for explaining that.

egbeachley 05-26-2011 07:18 PM

Maury's son.

drc 05-26-2011 09:24 PM

If you add a post to a thread, you bump the thread up to the top.

Woundedduck 05-26-2011 09:37 PM

I was told once that the forum term actually came about because bump meant "Bring Up My Post." I'm not sure if that's true or not but if so I'm sure not many think of that exact translation. It's just the term used when moving a thread back to the top of the page as has been explained.

ChiefBenderForever 05-26-2011 10:48 PM

Car key in 8 ball