Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SGC Evidence of Trimmimg (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179694)

timelord 12-03-2013 07:19 AM

SGC Evidence of Trimmimg

Greetings and Happy Holidays to all. I was wondering if anyone ever submitted a card to SGC for grading and it came back evidence of trimming? This particular card was a 1914 Crackerjack. Then you sent the card back in to SGC and it graded? Just curious since we all know grading is not a science and is subjective to the graders skills and how he interprets the criteria.
Thank You

vintagetoppsguy 12-03-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timelord (Post 1212856)
Greetings and Happy Holidays to all. I was wondering if anyone ever submitted a card to SGC for grading and it came back evidence of trimming? This particular card was a 1914 Crackerjack. Then you sent the card back in to SGC and it graded? Just curious since we all know grading is not a science and is subjective to the graders skills and how he interprets the criteria.
Thank You

I've never had that happen, but I had the opposite happen. I had a '59 Drysdale that I bought on eBay as an SGC 84. When I got it in hand, the card looked absolutely MINT. I cracked it out of the case to better inspect it and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I re-submitted it to SGC and it came back EOT. Submitted is a second time, same result. I'm pretty good at detecting a trim job and I just don't see if it's there. Thats not to say that it couldn't be trimmed but, if it is, then why did SGC give it a numerical grade the first time? Given that experience and what I saw with the '34 Goudey here on the boards and SGC's empty promises over the last couple of years, my faith in SGC has decreased greatly.

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2013 08:05 AM

I've had several cards in SGC holders rejected by PSA for evidence of trimming. And in at least one case, where a guy only wanted to buy my PSA card if it crossed to SGC, it happened in reverse. The better the alteration, the harder it is to detect and the more inconsistent the grading services will be.

Exhibitman 12-03-2013 10:34 AM

Yes that has happened to me with a T218. I resubmitted only because I was certain that the card was not trimmed. Got an 84 the next time in.

chipperhank44 12-03-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1212868)
I've had several cards in SGC holders rejected by PSA for evidence of trimming. And in at least one case, where a guy only wanted to buy my PSA card if it crossed to SGC, it happened in reverse. The better the alteration, the harder it is to detect and the more inconsistent the grading services will be.

It's been my experience (& that of a few friends) that Grading Companies regularly reject a card already in another TPG's holder for evidence of trimming or some other fabricated "flaw" simply because the card is in another holder.

steve B 12-03-2013 11:22 AM

I've had three rejected, all T206s

Miscut top and bottom -rough factory cut that I guess was just a bit too rough.
Min size- yeah, small top to bottom but factory. The vertical dimension I think gets looked at harder than side to side.
EOT- Got it back and checked it and wondered why I'd sent it in the first place. Definitely trimmed, but nice and even so also a deceptive trim. I won't be resending unless it's to get it slabbed as "A" before selling.

Modern cards would be a bit tougher to tell, since the edges are typically cleaner all around.

Steve B

ullmandds 12-03-2013 11:34 AM

I've had SGC call a card trimmed...only to end up in an sgc holder with a grade by someone else at a later date.

I've had SGC call a card altered...only to have it end up in a PSA holder mid-graded.

I've had a t206 downgraded by PSA to a lesser grade...this was the most shocking to me!!!!

CMIZ5290 12-03-2013 06:22 PM

Is someone actually questioning SGC on this forum? Damn, where's the media?

T205 GB 12-03-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1213066)
Is someone actually questioning SGC on this forum? Damn, where's the media?

Do to worry it's still 5000/1 in SGC's favor.

CMIZ5290 12-03-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1213078)
Do to worry it's still 5000/1 in SGC's favor.

Except on resale value.....