Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SGC 100 vs. BGS/BVG 10 pristine (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181187)

smrtn240 01-05-2014 09:12 AM

SGC 100 vs. BGS/BVG 10 pristine

In your opinion, which one is the higher grade of the 2. I see far less SGC 100's than BGS 10's. Anyone have any experience with crossovers?

bobbyw8469 01-05-2014 09:34 AM

I have had rotten luck with crossovers. I understand people do them though, and some get lucky!

yanksfan09 01-05-2014 09:48 AM

You're basically only going to see Gem mint and better grades (if there really is such a thing) with new cards and I believe SGC grades far less new cards than Beckett does. Although I know Beckett has the 4 sub grades and is overly strict in grading new cards in my experience so I imagine to get a pristine is very tough.

However, I'd think do to the volumes of new cards graded there must be much more gem mint and pristine Beckett vs. SGC. I'd guess the cumulative grades of all SGC cards vs BGS/BVG to be much lower. That's not saying SGC grades harder but they grade much more vintage, which by nature, is generally lower grade....

Leon 01-06-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1223872)
You're basically only going to see Gem mint and better grades (if there really is such a thing) with new cards and I believe SGC grades far less new cards than Beckett does. Although I know Beckett has the 4 sub grades and is overly strict in grading new cards in my experience so I imagine to get a pristine is very tough.

However, I'd think do to the volumes of new cards graded there must be much more gem mint and pristine Beckett vs. SGC. I'd guess the cumulative grades of all SGC cards vs BGS/BVG to be much lower. That's not saying SGC grades harder but they grade much more vintage, which by nature, is generally lower grade....

Agree. Mostly it's only a few game cards that would ever approach these grades in our space. I am sure there might be a few others but, besides game cards, I would be interested in seeing some cards in those grades.

calvindog 01-06-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1224479)
Agree. Mostly it's only a few game cards that would ever approach these grades in our space. I am sure there might be a few others but, besides game cards, I would be interested in seeing some cards in those grades.

I had a few PSA 10 1958 Topps cards once; I could tell no difference between the 9s and 10s. Certainly they were better than 8s, however.

Peter_Spaeth 01-06-2014 05:56 PM

Given that in Beckett's system a card can be mint without having mint corners, nothing they do is relevant to me.

srs1a 01-06-2014 07:09 PM

I once had a great interest in SGC-graded '68 Topps. I had a large inventory of vending cards. At a high level, I did very well when I got them graded (years ago, when Derek Grady was the head grader) -- my records say I did something like 20+% MINT cards., most of the rest NM/MT+ and NM/MT. Out of something like 150 MINT cards, I got exactly 3 GEM-MINT cards.

I called my friend Sean Skeffington and asked WTF? He said that on"vintage" issues, they did not "look for GEM-MINT grades".

Now, how has this changed more recently, I cannot say. But, I can say that if you are looking for SGC-98's, I wouldn't look too far. I think -100's are limited to very modern cards.

RGold 01-06-2014 08:04 PM

I have made many submissions crossing hundreds of PSA 10 to SGC 98, all 1970 or later. Only 7 have graded SGC 100, and all were on the same submission.

Since there was nothing special about that particular group of cards, it seems to me that receiving the pristine vs gem mint grade was arbitrary. :D:D:D

(the greenish tint is from my scanner)
http://photos.imageevent.com/rgold/r...e/brett100.jpg

Peter_Spaeth 01-06-2014 09:14 PM

That card presents well for the grade.

tjb1952tjb 01-07-2014 02:58 AM

SGC 100 Pristine

1 Attachment(s)
For what it's worth........here's my only SGC 100 Pristine card:

chipperhank44 01-07-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1224505)
Given that in Beckett's system a card can be mint without having mint corners, nothing they do is relevant to me.

Every TPG will grade a card "Mint" with NM-MT+ corners, Beckett is just the only one with subgrades that tell you the corners are less than Mint.

Also - Beckett, in my experience, doesn't let a card grade higher than .5 over its worst attribute, which seems perfectly sensible to me.

brewing 01-07-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipperhank44 (Post 1224760)
Every TPG will grade a card "Mint" with NM-MT+ corners, Beckett is just the only one with subgrades that tell you the corners are less than Mint.

Also - Beckett, in my experience, doesn't let a card grade higher than .5 over its worst attribute, which seems perfectly sensible to me.

I hope you aren't including cards in a BVG slab. Because my experience tells me they do grade at least .5 over the worst attribute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipperhank44 01-08-2014 07:03 AM

Was not talking BVG since the thread was discussing cards graded Beckett 10 vs SGC 100 and Beckett's choice to provide subgrades. I would agree, in the case of vintage Beckett and other TPGs will grade more than .5 above the worst attribute.