Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Strip Card Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=208790)

Cozumeleno 07-16-2015 09:26 AM

Strip Card Reference

Does anyone know of a book or (preferably) an online resource that documents strip cards and also talks about their history, etc.? I'm sure this has been discussed on the board at some point but the only things I've seen in using the search function are things that relate to specific sets. I'm looking for something that covers all documented sets.

I do have this book, the Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards, but am looking for something that deals ONLY with strip cards.

Thanks for any advice/help.

aelefson 07-16-2015 10:47 AM

Hi-
I do not believe such a book exists. I think the closest might be one of Lew Lipset's books, but I do not know which volume has strip cards nor is it the only information in the book (other card types are covered).
Oldcardboard.com is the best resource for baseball strip cards online that I am aware of. The Non-sports Net 54 board also has galleries of some strip card sets (non sports).

Alan

Cozumeleno 07-16-2015 01:05 PM

Thanks, Alan - appreciate the response. I have found the Old Cardboard site as well as my current book to be helpful. Just wish I could find a strictly strip card reference somewhere. I have looked pretty diligently and not found anything, though, which leads me to believe that you may be right about one not existing.

toppcat 07-16-2015 06:05 PM

I have a lot of old references and try to get copies of anything new and different and I have never seen a strip card only guide.

edhans 07-17-2015 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelefson (Post 1431978)
Hi-
I think the closest might be one of Lew Lipset's books, but I do not know which volume has strip cards nor is it the only information in the book (other card types are covered).

Lew never got around to writing the last three volumes of his encyclopedia, one of which would have covered most of the "W" cards. He touches on some of the sets that are related to some of the "E" series cards in the early candy and gum (vol. 2), but, as others have said, there really isn't a comprehensive work that features strip cards.

Leon 07-17-2015 06:50 AM

The best guide (not printed) is probably this board, for strip cards. I haven't ever seen any specific print guide on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 1432107)
I have a lot of old references and try to get copies of anything new and different and I have never seen a strip card only guide.

toppcat 08-06-2015 06:04 PM

FYI Beckett has a new magazine called Beckett Vintage that has a pretty good overview of strip cards and a nice gallery of W514's in the first issue. No prices, it's informational only.

Cozumeleno 08-07-2015 09:48 AM

Thanks, Dave - I'll give that a look

GehrigFan 08-07-2015 10:12 AM

I actually asked Lyman and Brett Hardeman at Old Cardboard to make a new poster to match their first two that specifically identifies all the different strip card W-sets. I think it would be a great resource, be it a poster, book, magazine, article, anything. Some of those stinkin' things take me forever to decide if it is a WXXX-2-1 or WXXX-1-1 or WXXX Unnumbered-2 Reverse Negative or whatever (okay, being a little dramatic, but you get the point!). I have samples of many of them. Maybe as a group we could put together a little gallery of every set and variation.

Who has photo editing skills to volunteer to be the designer and put it all together? ;-)

Mark