Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   REA's W600 McGinnity (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=287630)

paul 08-17-2020 01:39 PM

REA's W600 McGinnity

REA sold its W600 McGinnity for $15,500. Theirs was the "in uniform" pose, with a type 3 mount. I"m curious about what this means for my W600 McGinnity. Mine is the "street clothes" pose with a type 1 mount, and specifically dated 1902. Some would consider it his rookie card. It is in similar condition to REA's.

Is it fair to say that mine is worth the same or more than REA's? Or is the in uniform pose so much more popular or scarce that it commands a much higher price? I never dreamed that a W600 McGinnity of any variety was worth anything close to what REA's sold for. I'm not interested in selling mine. I'm just curious and wondering if I should value it higher with my insurer. Thanks.

benchod 08-17-2020 02:52 PM

Street clothes is worth nowhere near 15k
Last night was a few people fighting it out for an in uniform version which is tougher. Similar to Rube Waddell in uniform is much more difficult than the "rookie" in suit

paul 08-17-2020 07:10 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have no reason to contact my insurer.

puckpaul 08-17-2020 07:43 PM

Can to expound in why that is the case? How many of the Type 1’s can there be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 2009386)
Street clothes is worth nowhere near 15k
Last night was a few people fighting it out for an in uniform version which is tougher. Similar to Rube Waddell in uniform is much more difficult than the "rookie" in suit

Rhotchkiss 08-17-2020 07:57 PM

Looking at pop reports, street clothes and uniform appear equally rare, with there actually being one more uniform (psa shows a type 3 and type 4) than street clothes; there is one on SGC’s report that is not designated and SGC’s new pip report is very unhelpful with W600s.

I was very surprised to see McGinnity go so high. It’s a great looking card, but it’s not his rookie and, well, it’s McGinnity, who I place well below the likes of Joss, Keeler and Waddell. I am hardly an expert on W600s (I am pretty green), so take this with a grain of salt.

I think the card last night is rare and probably had two guys fighting over it. Or maybe it’s just a sign of the card market being red hot.

puckpaul 08-17-2020 08:57 PM

Very high price. Seems right, two guys fighting over it. I was debating bidding $2500, then i saw where it wound up! Wow. Cool card, and definitely rare if you want one, but...wow.

I think the Street clothes is worth as much or more than uniform version, but unless you get a bidding war like that, i wouldn’t value it close to that price.

Jay Wolt 08-17-2020 09:17 PM

w/ the juice it went for $18,600
fantastic card

https://createauctioncdn.azureedge.n...1_1_158797.jpg

Baseball Rarities 08-17-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2009481)
I think the card last night is rare and probably had two guys fighting over it.

I am sure that this is exactly what happened.

paul 08-17-2020 10:09 PM

And let's not forget that SGC thought it was trimmed!

bcbgcbrcb 08-18-2020 05:32 AM

Interestingly, PSA avoids the whole challenge of dating these cabinets based on mount style by not including any date at all on the flip. At least, use the widely accepted 1902-11 dating, which is all inclusive. A collector not familiar with W600’s will have no idea when these cards were made as the backs are blank. A few have years of first issue on front but most don’t.

HRBAKER 08-18-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 2009517)

It's in a slab, that matters not.
Besides they could have been wrong.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-18-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 2009517)

Certainly looks like a possible micro trim top and bottom. Not definitive, but possible.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 08-18-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2009624)
Certainly looks like a possible micro trim top and bottom. Not definitive, but possible.

Are you seeing the paper fibers at top? I would think it would be easy (or easier) to tell on these cabinets if they were trimmed based on the type of paper.

sb1 08-18-2020 01:48 PM

I would say with certainty it is not trimmed(not my card, nor did I win it, but I did bid on it), I have a nice one already. The borders are the correct size all the way around, and do not vary in position from W600 to W600. The later W600's ARE slightly smaller than earlier issues, they may have used either another W600 or those measurements and considered it "trimmed".

The marks at the top are from the cabinet moving inside the holder. They are often so tight in the holder that they leave a rub mark and then if jostled pretty hard especially during shipping from one party to another, they move and leave a sign where it once rested.