Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Brooks Robinson and the Baltimore Orioles (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=277568)

ksfarmboy 04-26-2024 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quitcrab (Post 2429351)
Gorsuch was the street name.
I have a few matchbooks from the restaurant and had a menu at one time.

Thanks, figured it was a local thing but always wondered.

JollyElm 04-26-2024 03:03 PM

Gotta say, Gorsuch-Gate was a big letdown for all of us.
We were all hoping the word meant something fantastically cool in Hungarian or something...but it's just a street name??? Dang, that sucks. :D

ksfarmboy 04-26-2024 06:09 PM

Darren, I was thinking it might be something like a grotto, boy was I disappointed!🤣. This ole Kansas boy has been racking his brain for a few years trying to figure it out.

Mark70Z 04-27-2024 05:34 AM

Gorsuch

First land patent in Baltimore vicinity was granted to Charles Gorsuch. Read the history of the family is very interesting. I’m sure the Gorsuch family is the reason for the street name. The name is of Old English origin.

Chstrite 04-27-2024 05:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Day 117 – 27 April 2024
My final Gorsuch House item is a Matchbook. The matchbook says Brooks Robinson on the front cover. On the back it says, “Your host for Maryland’s Finest Foods” with address. On the top it has a phone and the phone number. Inside it describes the restaurant with “Chilled Cocktails…Exquisite Cusine that will delight the plate of the most Exacting Gourmet, and served to you by our well experienced and friendly staff. I trust your appetite will be surfeit.” It then says, “Catering to….Dinner Parties, Cocktail Parties and Wedding Parties…Your Host Brooks Robinson.” The matchbook is in great shape with all the matches.

It appears my Gorsuch House posts are not that interesting given the comments. Ha! I am hoping Scott will find that menu and donate it to me.

ksfarmboy 04-27-2024 06:16 AM

Charles I like the items and finding a sign from his restaurant would be awesome. We had a restaurant in Wichita called the big leaguer. It was owned by Daryl Spencer and I found a picture of a menu that had Brooks and Boog on it. It was right after the 66 World Series. Would love to find one of those. Daryl was the one I got my Brooks hat from I told you about.

Big Red Machine 04-27-2024 09:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I picked up this collection of Baltimore Orioles 3x5 original photos in which some were used for the SSPC sets.

quitcrab 04-27-2024 04:19 PM

Charliie
I am looking for that menu for you ! Good stuff !

Chstrite 04-28-2024 05:28 AM

Clint, I am hooked on Brooks restaurant and sporting goods store. Hope to find more.

Scott, keep looking.

Big Red Machine member, thanks for sharing the SSCP pictures. I thought I saw them on eBay recently. Did not see the Brooks otherwise may have figured what they were associated with.

Chstrite 04-28-2024 05:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 118 – 28 April 2024
Today, I am showing you one of my Brooks Robinson American League Professional Baseball Clubs Annual Pass to All Parks. It is numbered 07 and says HOF. It has Brooks Robinson and Party on it for the year 2002. On the back it lists a bunch of rules. It is in a clear plastic case. It is the size of something you would slip in your wallet. You think if he showed up to a park and said he forgot it, he would be turned away?

ksfarmboy 04-28-2024 06:54 AM

Wow that pass is awesome!

Mark70Z 04-28-2024 03:02 PM

Really like the annual pass. Definitely one of a kind piece.

Chstrite 04-29-2024 04:19 AM

Brooks Robinson HoF Ceremony Pass

1 Attachment(s)
Day 119 – 29 April 2024
My next item is from 2011 HoF ceremony in Cooperstown, NY. This ceremony was for the induction of fellow Oriole Pat Gillick and Roberto Alomar along with Bert Blyleven. What I most like about this is I have matching passes for Brooks’ lovely wife Connie Robinson.

Mark70Z 04-29-2024 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chstrite (Post 2430010)
Day 119 – 29 April 2024
My next item is from 2011 HoF ceremony in Cooperstown, NY. This ceremony was for the induction of fellow Oriole Pat Gillick and Roberto Alomar along with Bert Blyleven. What I most like about this is I have matching passes for Brooks’ lovely wife Connie Robinson.

Always nice to have something that Brooks wore and to have Connie’s pass as well makes it even better.

Chstrite 04-29-2024 09:17 PM

I agree, Mark. Had to have em.

Chstrite 04-30-2024 03:53 AM

Baltimore Orioles Glo Orioles Glo Visor

1 Attachment(s)
Day 120 – 30 April 2024
I found this a while back. This is a bright orange visor Orioles give away that says, “Glo Orioles Glo!” it is made of cardboard and 6.5 in x 9.5 in. I have a similar bumper sticker. Anyone familiar with the year and information behind this slogan?

Chstrite 04-30-2024 10:12 PM

Brooks Robinson Sporting News 1967

1 Attachment(s)
Day 121 – 1 May 2024
This newspaper handout from the Sporting News celebrates the 1967 Gold Glove Awardees. It shows both the AL and NL. Brooks is featured on the top right row of players. This would be his 8th Gold Glove. Not a bad list of players (Clemente, Mays, Gibson, Yaz, fellow Oriole Blair, Kaline and Kaat). I really like the size of this fold out and the color of the Glove…Gold of course. I believe it was in the 11 Nov 67 edition.

Chstrite 05-01-2024 10:13 PM

Baltimore Orioles Boog Powell Topps 3-D Boog Powell

1 Attachment(s)
Day 122 – 2 May 2024
Not Brooks, but his buddy from Key West who saved a few errant throws, Boog Powell. I was lucky to find this recently and it did not break me. 1968 Topps 3-D. The grade is authentic given a mark on the front. Does not bother me at all given how it is so rare. I use to think I would find a Brooks 3-D but probably not in the cards.

ksfarmboy 05-02-2024 08:06 AM

Great Powell 3D!

Chstrite 05-03-2024 06:28 AM

Baltimore Orioles June 28, 1964 Martin Family Night Hat

1 Attachment(s)
Day 123 – 3 May 2024
Here is one you don’t see very often. A 1963 Memorial Stadium Martin Family Night paper hat hand out. The hat is perforated and I guess you could wear it. The game was played on June 28, 1963. Can seem to find a scored score card or ticket. Pretty cool piece.

Mark70Z 05-03-2024 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chstrite (Post 2431013)
Day 123 – 3 May 2024
Here is one you don’t see very often. A 1963 Memorial Stadium Martin Family Night paper hat hand out. The hat is perforated and I guess you could wear it. The game was played on June 28, 1963. Can seem to find a scored score card or ticket. Pretty cool piece.

Very nice! Haven’t seen this example before; very unique.

BaltOrioles 05-03-2024 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chstrite (Post 2431013)
Day 123 – 3 May 2024

Charlie,

Very cool. I've never seen that piece before. Here's the program from the game. Don't have a ticket stub.

Attachment 620318

Chstrite 05-03-2024 04:11 PM

Thanks for showing the program, Alan.

It is unique…especially if Mark and Alan hasn’t seen.

Chstrite 05-03-2024 10:01 PM

Brooks Robinson Mr Oriole Desk Name Plate

1 Attachment(s)
Day 124 – 4 May 2024
I do not have a ton of details on this desk name plate but it was used by Brooks in his home office for a number of years. It is not fancy; the paint is a little rough and so is the rest of the work. It says, “Mr. Oriole.” He signed it at the bottom with HoF 1983. It measures 11in x 3.5 in x 3 in.

Mark70Z 05-04-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chstrite (Post 2431253)
Day 124 – 4 May 2024
I do not have a ton of details on this desk name plate but it was used by Brooks in his home office for a number of years. It is not fancy; the paint is a little rough and so is the rest of the work. It says, “Mr. Oriole.” He signed it at the bottom with HoF 1983. It measures 11in x 3.5 in x 3 in.

Pretty COOL! I’ve seen this pictured before with some of your collection and wondered what it was.

Chstrite 05-05-2024 05:23 AM

Baltimore Orioles 1973 Johnny Pro Set - Brooks Robinson

1 Attachment(s)
Day 125 – 5 May 2024
One of the Orioles best items kids could find at Memorial Stadium or as a mail in offer was the 1973 Johnny Pro Set. The Push-Out, Stand-Up pictures including 24 different cards of Earl Weaver and the team. Brooks appeared on 2. Several players were not included due to when they signed with the Orioles. Included in this post are both of the Brooks cards. These are both part of the PSA Master Set. I upgraded the fielding card recently. The advertisement also served as the mail order form. On the front, it shows some of the cards punched out and on the back are the details about the set and how to order one for $2.00 or $2.50…anyone know the price so I can send mine in?

Chstrite 05-06-2024 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 126 – 6 May 2024
Today I am showing you a magazine advertisement about Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods Store. It was from a hockey magazine. I never made it to his store. The advertisement lists two addresses. One on S. Howard Street Downtown Baltimore and the other on Gorsuch Ave. (I guess his store was near his restaurant). I am always looking for an item from his sporting goods store or the clothing label. Will post more on the store in coming weeks.

roarfrom34 05-06-2024 05:30 AM

This was originally posted four years ago but when Charlie showed an ad for the Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods Company, I thought it was worthwhile enough to make another post..

Crawford Foxwell (who lived on the Maryland Eastern Shore) was one of the noted early collectors (there is a brief interview with him on YouTube for those who wish to see it) who in the early 70's either attended a grand opening of one the locations or simply a day where was Brooks was making an appearance at one & was actually wearing an Orioles uniform as he greeted fans.

Mr. Crawford (being the collector he was) approached Brooks at some point and told him that he would like one of those uniforms and Brooks actually responded that he could have the one he was wearing because the fit was a little snug...A deal was struck & Crawford walked out of the store uniform in hand (stirrups included).

I was good friends with someone who knew Mr. Foxwell very well & when he passed away my friend (knowing my love of Brooks) went to his widow and asked if we could make a deal for the uniform (I later had Brooks sign the collar at a 1992 Crown Gas Station appearance).

https://i.imgur.com/NMYm4BO.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/UqLlvBA.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/KyGajHJ.jpg

Mark70Z 05-06-2024 06:48 AM

Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods

I think pretty much everything from the Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods store is pretty cool. Of course a Brooks jersey from the store has to be on top of the list of items. Really like the tag in the collar; just a neat design.

I’ve never been to the store either. When I was younger I really didn’t even know about or I guarantee I would have bugged my parents to go. I do remember bugging my parents for a Brooks endorsed glove, think it was a HPG 3, but they were never able to find one so I had to settle for one that was similar.

I think the plastic disk that Alan had I believe is associated with the store. I don’t think we know for sure at this point what it was used for.

I’m sure I have a couple items from the store, but probably posted them on this thread in the past.

Mark70Z 05-06-2024 08:20 AM

Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods

2 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd at least post something. Letterman sweater from the store. Purchased this years ago just for the tag and the sweater is definitely quality. i may wear it someday ;)

ksfarmboy 05-06-2024 03:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Love Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods items. This is the only one I have but it’s a keeper I think😁.

Mark70Z 05-06-2024 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksfarmboy (Post 2431823)
Love Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods items. This is the only one I have but it’s a keeper I think😁.

I’ve seen the binder in the past, but do not have one. Yours look to be in great condition. Sure is a great item…

ksfarmboy 05-06-2024 07:38 PM

Thanks Mark, perfect for my childhood Orioles collection.

Chstrite 05-06-2024 08:37 PM

Nice stuff, everyone!!!

Chstrite 05-07-2024 04:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
127 – 7 May 2024
Brooks Robinson was famous for keeping in touch with his fans. January 4, 1967 he sent a letter to a fan in my hometown (Hagerstown, MD) apologizing for the delay to their letter. This letter is on Brooks Robinson letterhead…first time seeing his letterhead. Included with the letter is a team issued photo personalized to Mr. and Mrs. Shrader and a envelope from the Orioles with Brooks handwriting.

Chstrite 05-07-2024 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sent wrong picture above.

Here is correct photo. Sorry.

ksfarmboy 05-07-2024 03:29 PM

Great photo of Brooks, Charles!

Mark70Z 05-07-2024 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chstrite (Post 2432002)
127 – 7 May 2024
Brooks Robinson was famous for keeping in touch with his fans. January 4, 1967 he sent a letter to a fan in my hometown (Hagerstown, MD) apologizing for the delay to their letter. This letter is on Brooks Robinson letterhead…first time seeing his letterhead. Included with the letter is a team issued photo personalized to Mr. and Mrs. Shrader and a envelope from the Orioles with Brooks handwriting.

Charlie,

On this example that’s where I lived in MD when I was young; Ellicott City.

Chstrite 05-08-2024 04:49 AM

Baltimore Orioles Program - Brooks Robinson #34

2 Attachment(s)
Day 128 – 8 May 2024
Today I am showing you a Souvenir Program / Scorecard from 1957. This scorecard has Brooks wearing #34 playing IF. He played about 50 games in 1957 wearing #34 and returned the following year wearing #5. This program includes Frank Robinson playing with the Reds. I enjoy the photo of Chuck Thompson and the Mr. Boh advertisement. The scorecard is very clean.

Chstrite 05-09-2024 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 129 – 9 May 2024
Another random item is this 1963 Orioles vs. Senators line up cards. The Orioles card is hand written with the Manager Hitchcock last name. Brooks appears to be batting 3rd. The Senator’s card is the carbon copy with Hodges as the Manager. I am sure you could find the date if you did enough research. I have a few other Brooks era line up cards. Would love to find a more meaningful one of Brooks (1st at bat, WS, hit for cycle, etc.).

Chstrite 05-10-2024 04:50 AM

1963 Baltimore Orioles Press Guide

1 Attachment(s)
Day 130 – 10 May 2024
I really enjoy the old Orioles Press Guides. This one has the Decker Bird on the front cover. This press guide is from 1963. It is very clean. I do not have the complete run but am chipping away at the older copies.

Chstrite 05-10-2024 10:03 PM

1973 Sunpapers Newspaper Cardboard Cover Orioles

1 Attachment(s)
Day 131 – 11 May 2024
I recently found this 1973 Sunpapers newspaper cardboard cover for a dispensing machine. I assume the player is Bobby Grich. It is not in the best shape but it is displayable. It has a little color with the top and bottom words and the player graphic is very nice. I have a bunch of the newspaper advertisements but none as old as this one.

roarfrom34 05-11-2024 07:01 AM

Recently picked up this signed, GU hat (1997) of Orioles catcher Lenny Webster. I'm sure most of you here know that Webster was the last Oriole to wear #42:

https://i.imgur.com/qaPDwbp.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/bfUjOq8.jpg

Chstrite 05-11-2024 09:59 PM

Nice hat! Cool finding obscure Orioles items that are rich in history and fun to share. Thanks!

Chstrite 05-11-2024 10:04 PM

Mike Zolotorow small Brooks Robinson Collection

1 Attachment(s)
Day 132 – 12 May 2024
I recently had a collector and seller call me to see if I was interested in a small collection of Brooks Robinson items. He is someone I hold in high regard and very connected in Baltimore. Anyway, I met him on Saturday 20 Apr 23 at the Westminster, MD card show to see what he had. With him, he had a couple binders from an old Baltimore Oriole equipment manager. His name was Mike Zolotorow. Mike not only had a relationship with the Orioles, but him and Brooks appeared to be friendly and he worked for Brooks at his Sporting Goods Store. The centerpiece of the collection is a Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods Co, Inc binder. Clint showed his the other day…Hope ok if I show this one. The binder has the Company name, address, signature, images of Brooks and details about Brooks. The binder mentions Brooks as a 11 time gold glove winner so the binder must be around 1971 or 1972. The binder was a little dirty so I cleaned it up and it looks brand new. Within the binder was a bunch of catalogs for sporting goods. One in particular was a Rawlings equipment catalog that included all the different gloves of the day to include Brooks’ gloves and other player gloves to include Heart of the Hide. I have a few more items to show.

roarfrom34 05-12-2024 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's interesting to note that the Sporting Goods store used the same images on the cover of their binders as the Equitable Life Insurance Co. did in their ad:

ksfarmboy 05-12-2024 06:40 AM

Charles that binder is in great shape, plus your Oriole head has the complete orange on it while mine has white.

Chstrite 05-13-2024 04:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Day 133 – 13 May 2024
In the Zolotorow collection included a second binder with a bunch of miscellaneous items. The second binder has a drawing of Brooks and what I believe is a signature and his #5 sticker. In the binder was some baseball cards, personal letters from Brooks to Zolotorow, photos (more on those in the coming days), Brooks sporting goods letterhead and business card. Included today is the binder, letterhead, business card and some personal correspondence from Brooks to Zolotorow.

Chstrite 05-13-2024 04:05 AM

Bill, the Equitable Advertisement from above was also a print on card stock. Not sure I have seen the advertisement before. Pretty interesting how things are repurposed. Thanks for sharing.

Mark70Z 05-13-2024 07:19 AM

Am I the only Brooks fan that doesn’t have a sporting goods binder?!? Yours looks as nice as Clint’s…

Really like the business card; I’ve never seen one before. Something else to look for that I didn’t even know that was out there.

Very cool pickups Charlie; very unique and interesting items.