Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New PSA prices (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297735)

sportscardpete 03-01-2021 05:37 AM

New PSA prices

$150 for express vs. $75 previously.. Good grief!!

With private equity ownership and extreme demand, can't say this is surprising.

Republicaninmass 03-01-2021 06:04 AM

Psa/dna Autograph encapsulatation

No more economy $20

Standard $50 not available

Best pricing is $100 a card!

I can see Beckett auto service picking up some serious steam here

bobbyw8469 03-01-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2074986)

No more economy $20

I can also see Beckett's wait time from going over a year to over two years. Is that REALLY what you want?

ZiggerZagger 03-01-2021 06:22 AM

Grateful that word of this change was all over the entire hobby last week.

I felt pretty foolish spending a good part of the weekend fighting the PSA website to put in about 650 cards. I'm sure that was the case for a lot of us.

Not feeling so foolish anymore... Guess this was the last dance for me with PSA for a submission of any size.
|

carlsonjok 03-01-2021 06:35 AM

Quote:

No more economy $20

Not doubting you, but can you point me to where this is announced? I am sure with some diligence I can find it, but I am in the middle of a travel nightmare and my google-fu has broken down. I went to the PSA site and the Joe Medwick I was planning to send in is listed at $50. Thank you.

EDIT: So, despite wearing the same underwear for the second day, I managed to have a brief moment of clarity. I found the announcement, but I do have a question. The prices above seem to apply to card authentication, not autograph authentication. The only reference to autograph authentication is in the context of dual service. Is there additional information available somewhere on changes to autograph authentication?

Republicaninmass 03-01-2021 06:45 AM

That I dont know

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

shagrotn77 03-01-2021 06:51 AM

PSA also suspended their crossover service.

yanks87 03-01-2021 07:00 AM

Glad I got my cards in when I did

$20 a card is too steep for my wallet. I will gladly shift to not grading cards and waiting on specials for the ones that I want to have graded (there is a benefit to have a set fully graded to maximize value). My guess is that they will also soon raise the cost of membership. This begs the question, is it time to try the new kids in town, or take a look at SGC?

Nick55 03-01-2021 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks87 (Post 2075010)
$20 a card is too steep for my wallet. I will gladly shift to not grading cards and waiting on specials for the ones that I want to have graded (there is a benefit to have a set fully graded to maximize value). My guess is that they will also soon raise the cost of membership. This begs the question, is it time to try the new kids in town, or take a look at SGC?

Same here.

perezfan 03-01-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

yes

bobbyw8469 03-01-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

I would think SGC is just as bad. I would see this benefiting the new kids on the block, CGC. I doubt they raise their prices since they JUST opened up!

yanks87 03-01-2021 07:44 AM

CSG is looking better and better.

bobbyw8469 03-01-2021 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks87 (Post 2075036)
CSG is looking better and better.

Yes..that is who I meant....I don't see any of their cards on Ebay yet....just trying to check out the comps.

A2000 03-01-2021 07:52 AM

https://www.psacard.com/pricing#cards

Looks like the premium pricing went up by quite a bit as well.

SD 03-01-2021 08:04 AM

Psa turn around times

Ridiculous, I have a submission thats been there 3 months and still hasn't been checked in.

Has anyone tried HGA? Their slabs look killer and there quotes turn around time is quick. Just haven't seen anything stabbed other then moderns so far.

forceplay sport 03-01-2021 08:05 AM

The problem with PSA is they will raise their prices, but the turn around will still
be the same. This company is ridiculous. I have already sent cards to CSG
using the economy package and looking forward to see how they come back.

Republicaninmass 03-01-2021 08:09 AM

is grading really a necessity? If not, be hapy with your raw cards. If so, then cards which are already graded, now have a bigger premium added.

buymycards 03-01-2021 08:13 AM

Psa

Quote:

Their membership prices are as follows:

Silver $99 does not include any free submissions

Gold $199 Sold Out

Platinum $299 Sold Out

Also if you look at their pricing chart, their Regular $100 tier and their Express $150 tier both have notes that turnaround times are impacted. Geez! $150 per card and you still don't get a guaranteed turnaround time.

Johnny630 03-01-2021 08:16 AM

Guys let’s face the facts this is a Business...this hobby is no longer for the blue collar it’s for white collar Investors, Gamblers and Speculators who want a hedge. Is it smart to cater to those two groups not the collector? Idk 🤷*♂️ I do know the average collector is being squeezed on all ends either pay up or step out.
Tough it’s kinda rough and sad but It’s business and business isn’t always touchy feelie lovey dovey it’s money.

Everything is going to be fine :-)

rjackson44 03-01-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 2075051)

Gold $199 Sold Out

Platinum $299 Sold Out

Also if you look at their pricing chart, their Regular $100 tier and their Express $150 tier both have notes that turnaround times are impacted. Geez! $150 per card and you still don't get a guaranteed turnaround time.

Hi rick your funny

buymycards 03-01-2021 08:22 AM

Csg

I noticed this on the CSG website:

Walk Through
$50,000 $100 5 days

5 days for a Walk Through service. I wonder if they provide meals and a place to sleep while you are spending 5 days walking your card through the process?:)

conor912 03-01-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 2075051)

Gold $199 Sold Out

Platinum $299 Sold Out

Wow. Silver was $59 a few months ago. That’s quite the hike.

I’m kind of hoping this starts to create a divide leaves more cards raw. Not everything needs to be slabbed.

Schlesinj 03-01-2021 08:46 AM

As anyone that sells it is all about incremental value to whatever grading company provides. I assume they have the data and know they produce a premium on value, so they can take more of a piece of the pie.

D. Bergin 03-01-2021 08:51 AM

What the hell! I just did my very first card submission to PSA yesterday. 8 cards, Express rate. 8 cards that a few months ago, I doubt were even worth the price of the $75 grading fee + Insurance and Shipping both ways.

Left it out for the mailman today.

Is my $75 fee going to hold up, or are they going to double dip into my account for the $150 fee?

Don't even know what put it in my head to do my very first submission on a Sunday afternoon, the day before PSA doubled their rates.....other then the fact it seemed like a few cards I was holding onto, had become very volatile, almost overnight, and it would be borderline stupid not to capitalize on it.

Probably would have never pulled the trigger at $150 bucks a pop.

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagrotn77 (Post 2075003)

I never understood how they could determine authenticity in the holder anyhow.

Leon 03-01-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2075091)
I never understood how they could determine authenticity in the holder anyhow.

They probably can't but no one cares anyway so WTF? Just send them more money, LOL...

jad22 03-01-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

No more economy $20

Maybe CGC should team up with JSA on the autograph end.

dio 03-01-2021 09:52 AM

good for SGC, beckett, even new CGC,HGA

I will only send stuff to psa back for reholder , this is ridiculous

darwinbulldog 03-01-2021 10:04 AM

Somehow I missed the news until today. I just happened to sign up for a membership yesterday because I have some cards to submit later this month. Nice timing.

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2021 10:10 AM

Doubling prices doesn't exactly seem a collector-friendly move?

sportscardpete 03-01-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2075116)
Doubling prices doesn't exactly seem a collector-friendly move?

The writing was on the wall the second the deal was announced.

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 2075117)
The writing was on the wall the second the deal was announced.

Agreed. Why anyone thought with the involvement of at least two billionaire Wall Street types (Nat and Steve Cohen) that this was about anything more than money, is a mystery.

PS I wonder if any "competitors" will take advantage of the obvious opportunity. I doubt it.

parkplace33 03-01-2021 10:23 AM

I am shocked it didn't happen sooner. They are mostly likely doing this to help with the backlog.

D. Bergin 03-01-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2075126)
I am shocked it didn't happen sooner. They are mostly likely doing this to help with the backlog.

LOL. No!

They're doing this to make more money.............full stop. ;)

Touch'EmAll 03-01-2021 10:31 AM

Seems like this price move would turn away business. Gee, I own a small business and that's the last thing I would want to do - turn away business. If you don't take care of the customer (friendly, professional, quality service, charge reasonable) somebody else will.

Bigdaddy 03-01-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlesinj (Post 2075076)
As anyone that sells it is all about incremental value to whatever grading company provides. I assume they have the data and know they produce a premium on value, so they can take more of a piece of the pie.

All the data they need is to look at the number of submissions and realize that there is potential to charge more and still maintain their business.

Simple economics and we shouldn't be surprised. At all. That is the direction that the market (submitters) is pressuring them to go.

bobbyw8469 03-01-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2075133)
All the data they need is to look at the number of submissions and realize that there is potential to charge more and still maintain their business.

Simple economics and we shouldn't be surprised. At all. That is the direction that the market (submitters) is pressuring them to go.

Agreed....if they weren't backed up a year, this never would have happened. Submitters will either suck it up and pay the new price or not.

Bigdaddy 03-01-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll (Post 2075131)
Seems like this price move would turn away business. Gee, I own a small business and that's the last thing I would want to do - turn away business. If you don't take care of the customer (friendly, professional, quality service, charge reasonable) somebody else will.

The problem is, there is little/no competition. Or at least not enough to make a dent.

And as far as raising prices, I think it is more probable that other graders follow suit instead of taking advantage of the price differential.

Schlesinj 03-01-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad22 (Post 2075098)
Maybe CGC should team up with JSA on the autograph end.

JSA is going to slab soon (I assume only related to autographs).

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2075137)
The problem is, there is little/no competition. Or at least not enough to make a dent.

And as far as raising prices, I think it is more probable that other graders follow suit instead of taking advantage of the price differential.

The economics textbook has a separate section for third party grading.:eek:

perezfan 03-01-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2075137)

That would be really dumb on their part, since this is their long-awaited chance to make a dent in PSA's market share. Especially for CSG, who just announced their pricing structure. I'm sure they don't want to alienate potential new customers before they've even gained a foothold in the market.

As far as making dumb decisions goes, nothing would surprise me with regard to SGC. They seem to somehow hang on in spite of themselves. When the market comes crashing back down to earth, it might be tougher for them to thrive (or even survive).

Exhibitman 03-01-2021 12:22 PM

Did anyone honestly think a bunch of Wall Street assholes paid up for the company to do collectors any favors? These guys are pimps. Taking this company private, dramatically increasing the revenue without increasing costs, and leaving a giant backlog of revenue, that's the formula for selling it on the street corner with an IPO. I would bet that they take it public again after they have sufficient performance to show proof of concept. Central to the plan is one fact: PSA customers are sheep. They will line up to hand over their money as long as the PSA imprimatur makes money with unexpected high grades. The chance for freakish spontaneous wealth is too strong to mitigate against submissions. Only the poor set collectors--a very small group of the overall herd--will cry foul and walk away rather than spend $20 to slab a Sixto Lezcano card.

The silver lining is that everyone who has an inventory of PSA graded cards to sell can raise their prices because the submission cost for a collector to send in a raw card just jumped to the card price plus $20. I had been offering up graded cards for $10 MB. Now it is $15 going forward plus $5 to ship. Eventually, the PSA sheep will do the math and pay it. They always do.

D. Bergin 03-01-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2075190)
Did anyone honestly think a bunch of Wall Street assholes paid up for the company to do collectors any favors?

It's amazing how many people still think Gordon Gecko is going to come in and save the company and make things right for the little guy.

:rolleyes:

Fuddjcal 03-01-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagrotn77 (Post 2075003)

Did they also suspend the crossover dribble? Nice to see the new ownership is making their investment pay off quickly and the dopeys eating it up.

scmavl 03-01-2021 12:41 PM

I had no idea until today. Just shipped a pretty big order off a week ago. Looks like I saved some money and might beat the (increased) bottle neck by a few days. Maybe I’ll get my cards back before opening day... 2022.

Fuddjcal 03-01-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll (Post 2075131)

I've used this many times before as well because it's so true. I almost never raise prices while my vendors constantly do.:D I rely on Raving Fans as customers and word of mouth. I'm not taking on anymore clients unless they are a "Brand" or own multiple brands" anyway. I'm down shifting but seem to set records month after month. Frankly, it's killing me. Maybe I should double prices and weed out the riff raff. Every time I have raised prices, nobody blinks and have never lost a customer in 21 years. Nah, They probably won't leave...:confused:;)

Also, use this line when it comes to relationships with our wives. "If you don't service the customer, someone else will."

Fuddjcal 03-01-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2075190)
Did anyone honestly think a bunch of Wall Street assholes paid up for the company to do collectors any favors? These guys are pimps. Taking this company private, dramatically increasing the revenue without increasing costs, and leaving a giant backlog of revenue, that's the formula for selling it on the street corner with an IPO. I would bet that they take it public again after they have sufficient performance to show proof of concept. Central to the plan is one fact: PSA customers are sheep. They will line up to hand over their money as long as the PSA imprimatur makes money with unexpected high grades. The chance for freakish spontaneous wealth is too strong to mitigate against submissions. Only the poor set collectors--a very small group of the overall herd--will cry foul and walk away rather than spend $20 to slab a Sixto Lezcano card.

The silver lining is that everyone who has an inventory of PSA graded cards to sell can raise their prices because the submission cost for a collector to send in a raw card just jumped to the card price plus $20. I had been offering up graded cards for $10 MB. Now it is $15 going forward plus $5 to ship. Eventually, the PSA sheep will do the math and pay it. They always do.

You're not being fair to Sixto. I want all My Cesar Cedeno cards PSA slabbed 10, because I'm anal Eddie.

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2075195)
It's amazing how many people still think Gordon Gecko is going to come in and save the company and make things right for the little guy.

:rolleyes:

Perhaps the pricing news will disabuse some of that wishful thinking.

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2021 01:53 PM

Assuming Nat Turner is going to be a hands-on owner, this will be (I believe) a different experience for Joe Orlando who I suspect did not have a great deal of interference or even input from his prior Board -- the same Board that was willing to sell a company riding a wave of smashing success for literally no premium over the market price.

Yoda 03-01-2021 01:55 PM

Third party grading has been the most dramatic matrix shift in my long experience in the hobby; it has monetized card values in the extreme and given the graders immense power. TPG'ers were ill-prepared to meet the grading demands brought on by COVID and asset reallocation to cards, and they are clearly floundering with this massive backlog. That why I am watching closely the new grading company, CSG, and just sent them some nice '57 Topps football, including Johnny U. and Bart Starr. I just wish the name and logo didn't look like a rip-off of SGC.