Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OJ Simpson dead at 76 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=348285)

chalupacollects 04-11-2024 09:09 AM

OJ Simpson dead at 76

Passed due to prostate cancer. Get checked men….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Van Horn 04-11-2024 10:06 AM

Found out at 11:37 a.m. Sorry if I offend, but couldn't be more overjoyed.

perezfan 04-11-2024 10:47 AM

Such a shame.... now he will never find the real killer. :eek:

Brian Van Horn 04-11-2024 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2425958)
Such a shame.... now he will never find the real killer. :eek:

They could always put a mirror in the coffin head high to cure that problem.

packs 04-11-2024 11:11 AM

I just got done reading his new book too: If I Did Die.

JustinD 04-11-2024 01:27 PM

Well, I can say that the history of the game would be different without him and that I prefer to remember pre-94 Oj.

Strong start, really rough finish to a lifetime.

Best thoughts to his children as they have been through enough I am sure.

Snowman 04-11-2024 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 2425936)
Passed due to prostate cancer. Get checked men….

As someone who does medical research for a living, and who often deals with prostate cancer patient data, I'd like to loudly echo this advice. Prostate cancer is generally very treatable, though not without risks, and it is typically easy to detect in earlier stages. If you are getting up there in age, you should be getting your PSA (prostate-specific antigen, not the grading company) levels checked. They are an excellent biomarker for prostate cancer.

Sadly, there has been an uptick in more advanced stages of prostate cancer due to the pandemic, as people avoided their usual checkups out of fear of contracting covid.

Vintagedeputy 04-11-2024 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since every thread needs a card, this one is killer.

chalupacollects 04-11-2024 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2426121)
Since every thread needs a card, this one is killer.

Ahh you’re just being a cut up…[emoji1787]

rdwyer 04-11-2024 06:48 PM

OJ can now rest knowing that the killer of Nicole Brown Simpson is dead.

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2024 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2426120)
As someone who does medical research for a living, and who often deals with prostate cancer patient data, I'd like to loudly echo this advice. Prostate cancer is generally very treatable, though not without risks, and it is typically easy to detect in earlier stages. If you are getting up there in age, you should be getting your PSA (prostate-specific antigen, not the grading company) levels checked. They are an excellent biomarker for prostate cancer.

Sadly, there has been an uptick in more advanced stages of prostate cancer due to the pandemic, as people avoided their usual checkups out of fear of contracting covid.

PSA is a good screening tool but it results in a very large number of false positives and also can miss cases. Best to see a doctor and not just rely on a single blood test. The issue of screening is complicated.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/...ing/tests.html

and
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...20is%20present.

It's not so simple as go get a PSA test. Mayo Clinic:

What's risky about a PSA test?
You may wonder how getting a test for prostate cancer could have a downside. After all, there's little risk involved in the test itself — it requires simply drawing blood for evaluation in a lab.

However, there are some potential downsides once the results are in. These include:

Elevated PSA levels can have other causes, such as benign prostate enlargement (benign prostatic hyperplasia) or prostate infection (prostatitis). These false-positives are common.
Some prostate cancers may not produce much PSA. It's possible to have what's known as a "false-negative" — a test result that incorrectly indicates you don't have prostate cancer when you do.
Follow-up tests to check out the cause of an elevated PSA test can be invasive, stressful, expensive or time-consuming.
Living with a slow-growing prostate cancer that doesn't need treatment might cause stress and anxiety.
What do experts recommend?
Most medical organizations encourage men in their 50s to discuss the pros and cons of prostate cancer screening with their doctors. The discussion should include a review of your risk factors and your preferences about screening.

You might consider starting the discussions sooner if you're black, have a family history of prostate cancer or have other risk factors.

If you choose to have prostate cancer screening, most organizations recommend stopping around age 70 or if you develop other serious medical conditions that limit your life expectancy.

Lorewalker 04-11-2024 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2426166)
PSA is a good screening tool but it results in a very large number of false positives and also can miss cases. Best to see a doctor and not just rely on a single blood test. The issue of screening is complicated.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/...ing/tests.html

and
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...20is%20present.

It's not so simple as go get a PSA test. Mayo Clinic:

What's risky about a PSA test?
You may wonder how getting a test for prostate cancer could have a downside. After all, there's little risk involved in the test itself — it requires simply drawing blood for evaluation in a lab.

However, there are some potential downsides once the results are in. These include:

Elevated PSA levels can have other causes, such as benign prostate enlargement (benign prostatic hyperplasia) or prostate infection (prostatitis). These false-positives are common.
Some prostate cancers may not produce much PSA. It's possible to have what's known as a "false-negative" — a test result that incorrectly indicates you don't have prostate cancer when you do.
Follow-up tests to check out the cause of an elevated PSA test can be invasive, stressful, expensive or time-consuming.
Living with a slow-growing prostate cancer that doesn't need treatment might cause stress and anxiety.
What do experts recommend?
Most medical organizations encourage men in their 50s to discuss the pros and cons of prostate cancer screening with their doctors. The discussion should include a review of your risk factors and your preferences about screening.

You might consider starting the discussions sooner if you're black, have a family history of prostate cancer or have other risk factors.

If you choose to have prostate cancer screening, most organizations recommend stopping around age 70 or if you develop other serious medical conditions that limit your life expectancy.

This is valid info! PSA is a good indicator along with the Free PSA test but a DRE is also recommended at least once a year. Prostate cancer tends to be a very slow growing cancer, almost every man who lives long enough will end up with it...research is starting to demonstrate lower testosterone levels as we age to the susceptibility to the cancer. And know that being asymptomatic is not something you want to rely on in lieu of regular checkups, especially if breast cancer and prostate cancer run in your family. Most cancers in the early stages have no symptoms.

campyfan39 04-12-2024 08:21 AM

Plea now changed from inncccent to guilty