Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More Evidence We Live in a Sick, Sick World: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345746)

clydepepper 01-30-2024 06:06 PM

More Evidence We Live in a Sick, Sick World:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rned-trash-can

ullmandds 01-30-2024 06:08 PM

yea I saw that...F$cked up is right!

BobbyStrawberry 01-30-2024 06:14 PM

A particularly sick country in a sick world.

jayshum 01-30-2024 06:15 PM

There's another thread about this in the Watercooler section.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345569

samosa4u 01-30-2024 08:30 PM

The theft was discovered shortly before Black History Month. But Lutz said in an interview after the news conference that he was hopeful the motive wasn't racial, but that the thieves just saw the bronze as monetarily valuable.

Not sure how this makes any sense. If the thieves just saw the statue as monetarily valuable, then why the hell was it found burned up in a trash can?

theshowandme 01-30-2024 08:33 PM

Send the asteroid

CW 01-30-2024 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2409260)
The theft was discovered shortly before Black History Month. But Lutz said in an interview after the news conference that he was hopeful the motive wasn't racial, but that the thieves just saw the bronze as monetarily valuable.

Not sure how this makes any sense. If the thieves just saw the statue as monetarily valuable, then why the hell was it found burned up in a trash can?

It is hard to say for sure, but one possibility is that it was taken for scrap value or with the thought of selling it on the secondary market, but once the the culprits realized all the heat and attention on the theft, they decided to ditch it. Setting it on fire might have been an attempt to destroy the evidence.

Of course another option is that it was racially motivated, but if that was the case why not just deface the statue or simply set it on fire where it stood in the park? That would've taken nearly the same amount of time as cutting it off at the ankles and trying to haul it off.

I guess whether they were criminals or racists (or both), they were idiots, and who knows what type of reasoning goes through an idiot's mind.

You also have the remote possibility that this was some type of hoax, or just something to get attention in the news for whatever reason.

Casey2296 01-30-2024 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 2409264)
It is hard to say for sure, but one possibility is that it was taken for scrap value or with the thought of selling it on the secondary market, but once the the culprits realized all the heat and attention on the theft, they decided to ditch it. Setting it on fire might have been an attempt to destroy the evidence.

Of course another option is that it was racially motivated, but if that was the case why not just deface the statue or simply set it on fire where it stood in the park? That would've taken nearly the same amount of time as cutting it off at the ankles and trying to haul it off.

I guess whether they were criminals or racists (or both), they were idiots, and who knows what type of reasoning goes through an idiot's mind.

You also have the remote possibility that this was some type of hoax, or just something to get attention in the news for whatever reason.

+1
I would guess its low brow knuckleheads being of the "lets steal copper pipes out of homes" breed, but the other option is that tearing down statues has become the norm in the last 10 years.

FromVAtoLA 01-30-2024 09:06 PM

I have no affiliation with it but there’s a go fund me to replace the statue. They are pretty close to their $100k goal. I saw a post on social media encouraging $42 donations. https://www.gofundme.com/f/replace-o...obinson-statue

Al C.risafulli 01-31-2024 12:05 AM

Absolutely disgusting.

-Al

rjackson44 01-31-2024 03:52 AM

Sad

Vintagedeputy 01-31-2024 05:12 AM

Quote:

It is plausible. Not the first time I’ve seen a thief dump something valuable. The thieves could have realized that they don’t have the ability to melt it on their own, and going to someone to do it could lead to their capture.

Vintagedeputy 01-31-2024 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2409267)
+1
but the other option is that tearing down statues has become the norm in the last 10 years.

I’m in Richmond, Va. where apparently we like to rip down statues of Confederate soldiers and Christopher Columbus. So sad that we just still can’t get along.

I weep for the future.

Kzoo 01-31-2024 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2409311)
So sad that we just still can’t get along.

The vast majority of everyone gets along just fine. There's other factors at play.

bandrus1 01-31-2024 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kzoo (Post 2409312)
The vast majority of everyone gets along just fine. There's other factors at play.

This is the answer.... The longer we allow the narrative the fringes are everyone the longer we will be at a loss

Snapolit1 01-31-2024 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2409311)
I’m in Richmond, Va. where apparently we like to rip down statues of Confederate soldiers and Christopher Columbus. So sad that we just still can’t get along.

I weep for the future.

I don't. Being around young people gives me great hope for the future (I won't be here for). They have more respect for other people and the Earth than prior generations ever did. By a lot.

Biggest issue this country faces is getting people with antiquated values out of the way and gone. Like the people on school boards in Florida who don't want kids taught the horrific abuse the Robinsons and other blacks faced in Florida. Would be "woke" or "anti-white" or something.

Refusing to educate kids on what Jackie and others endured is a lot worse crime than cutting down a statue.

Vintagedeputy 01-31-2024 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kzoo (Post 2409312)

There’s no doubt that the vast majority of people get along just fine. My comment was directed more towards the small groups who are still hanging on to hate and division. They’re the ones who just need to let shit go and get along with everyone else. Unfortunately, they’re the ones that get all the press.

BobbyStrawberry 01-31-2024 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2409319)
I don't. Being around young people gives me great hope for the future (I won't be here for). They have more respect for other people and the Earth than prior generations ever did. By a lot.

Biggest issue this country faces is getting people with antiquated values out of the way and gone. Like the people on school boards in Florida who don't want kids taught the horrific abuse the Robinsons and other blacks faced in Florida. Would be "woke" or "anti-white" or something.

Refusing to educate kids on what Jackie and others endured is a lot worse crime than cutting down a statue.

Well said!

BobbyStrawberry 01-31-2024 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2409321)
There’s no doubt that the vast majority of people get along just fine. My comment was directed more towards the small groups who are still hanging on to hate and division. They’re the ones who just need to let shit go and get along with everyone else. Unfortunately, they’re the ones that get all the press.

Have you ever been on social media? Or recently tried discussing current events with a stranger? Hate and division are widespread in this country right now, largely because of how lucrative it is and how easily manipulated many people are.

JustinD 01-31-2024 07:37 AM

Quote:

I can't imagine it has anything to do with racism unless the news decides to run the hype-train per usual. It has everything to do with crime, stupidity, selfishness, and disrespect.

Sadly theft of statues, bells, and bronze work has been commonplace for years. It is so common of late in my area that the bronze plaques for historic sites are so hard to keep up with replacement that many are now missing. Several years ago an 8 foot statue of Jesus was removed from a cross a stolen from a local church overnight that was mounted at the pulpit, not outdoors. The sad part was it was made to look bronze, it was not.

I have a friend whose family owns a large cemetery, they have had to hire 24 hour watchmen to stop the theft of the decorative bronze urns or statuary in the historic graves.

The Detroit police now require a call from scrapyards of any deliveries of new copper (stolen from job sites) and decorative bronze items (again stolen). The thieves now just sledgehammer the items to unrecognizable chunks to sell, or like in this case...bonfire and try to melt it to an unrecognizable state.

This is the next step after the scrappers have already stolen all the copper and fixtures from any home that sits unoccupied for a bit too long. There are hundreds or likely thousands of stories in the city of people just leaving for work and returning to every centimeter of aluminum sliding removed from their home.

It's amazing what people do for an easy payday and to avoid a 9 to 5.

clydepepper 01-31-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromVAtoLA (Post 2409268)
I have no affiliation with it but there’s a go fund me to replace the statue. They are pretty close to their $100k goal. I saw a post on social media encouraging $42 donations. https://www.gofundme.com/f/replace-o...obinson-statue

Thanks for posting that...I hope it's legit. I donated $42

Vintagedeputy 01-31-2024 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2409331)
Have you ever been on social media? Or recently tried discussing current events with a stranger? Hate and division are widespread in this country right now, largely because of how lucrative it is and how easily manipulated many people are.

I blame a certain divisive political party for that nonsense.

Kzoo 01-31-2024 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2409486)
I blame a certain divisive political party for that nonsense.

And the mainstream media who love to keep us divided (on purpose).

Vintagedeputy 01-31-2024 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kzoo (Post 2409493)
And the mainstream media who love to keep us divided (on purpose).

Agreed 110%

facex002 01-31-2024 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromVAtoLA (Post 2409268)

Love this. I was disgusted when I saw this story. I hope this is legit and the statue is replaced.

Jay Wolt 01-31-2024 08:31 PM

Here's a story about the donations

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-clubs-t...obinson-statue

jingram058 02-01-2024 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2409319)

+1 on every word of this. Well said, and true.

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-01-2024 07:52 AM

MLB has stepped in and is going to replace the statue.

Exhibitman 02-01-2024 08:07 AM

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...%20Fuckers.jpg

I blame stupid people. In general. For everything.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...d%20People.png

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...ize/morons.png

"These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

https://media.tenor.com/E5cO8U3p4qAA...-stupidity.png

jayshum 02-01-2024 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2409604)
MLB has stepped in and is going to replace the statue.

That's great. So now what happens to the $150K+ in donations that were raised already?

bnorth 02-01-2024 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2409611)
That's great. So now what happens to the $150K+ in donations that were raised already?

I am sure someone already had plans for it and it will go to a great cause.

jayshum 02-01-2024 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2409614)
I am sure someone already had plans for it and it will go to a great cause.

I thought money raised through GoFundMe had to be used for the purpose stated or had to be refunded. Can it be used for something else if the stated reason was for replacing the statue?

packs 02-01-2024 08:47 AM

The Go Fund Me is being administrated by the League 42 Foundation directly and says the following:

Money donated will go directly to this cause. Any donations that exceed our goal will be put to use to fund our operational needs, including our four education programs.

jayshum 02-01-2024 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2409627)
The Go Fund Me is being administrated by the League 42 Foundation directly and says the following:

Money donated will go directly to this cause. Any donations that exceed our goal will be put to use to fund our operational needs, including our four education programs.

Thanks for the info. Looks like they will still be able to put the donations to good use then.

particra17 02-01-2024 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2409328)
Well said!

100 percent

particra17 02-01-2024 04:17 PM

There a thousand statues that can be stolen and melted down/sold for scrap. There’s only one reason why you cut down and steal a Jackie Robinson statue: you are a scum racist.

kcohen 02-02-2024 07:29 AM

“Biggest issue this country faces is getting people with antiquated values out of the way and gone.”

Right! Get rid of anyone whose worldview differs from yours. With all due respect, it’s such narrow-minded statements that epitomize our societal rot.

Bobbycee 02-02-2024 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particra17 (Post 2409721)
There a thousand statues that can be stolen and melted down/sold for scrap. There’s only one reason why you cut down and steal a Jackie Robinson statue: you are a scum racist.

Sounds like you know without a doubt who cut down the statue. You're right about them being scumbags. How do you know they're racist? They could be a group of blacks that did this.

G1911 02-02-2024 12:21 PM

Lots of hot takes already about a crime without any actual evidence yet that it has any political utility for either side. A good rule of thumb is that whoever argues for huge swaths of the population to be made "out of the way and gone" is in the wrong. While it certainly makes getting ones agenda through easier if dissidents are eliminated, it should raise obvious moral issues and huge red flags. I agree with whoever isn't proposing that everyone who disagrees with them be made "gone" :confused:

Exhibitman 02-02-2024 02:17 PM

Can we cut the political horse s**t, agree that the thieves are lowlife scum, and go on with our days, please?

calvindog 02-02-2024 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a criminal case in NY once in which a WWII statue was stolen and the thieves chopped it up and tried to sell the scrap. Naturally, the scrap was worth next to nothing; all the value of the statue was in the art. When they finally made an arrest it turned out that it was a group of Mexican illegals who spoke no English and had no idea what they had stolen and destroyed. One of their bosses paid me to get them out of the mess they found themselves in, which I did.

Every act doesn’t have to be for political purposes; some people are just idiots who do stupid things. Similarly, trying to score cheap political points over this is idiotic. We can all agree that Jackie Robinson was a great man, no one disputes this. And Robinson brought people together, instead of dividing them. Maybe we can try that here.

Exhibitman 02-02-2024 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 2409922)
some people are just idiots who do stupid things.

Which is why you and I have businesses :D

calvindog 02-02-2024 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2409928)
Which is why you and I have businesses :D

I thank God for stupid people every day.

judsonhamlin 02-02-2024 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 2409930)
I thank God for stupid people every day.

Yup. Saved me from a career of real estate closings…

GasHouseGang 02-02-2024 04:22 PM

This incident got so much notice because it was a Jackie Robinson statue. This sort of thing has been happening all over. This was recently reported in Los Angeles:

On Jan. 11, vandals robbed Lincoln Memorial of more than 100 bronze plaques, including one donated by champion boxer Joe Louis in 1949, according to Woods, one of the volunteers who run the cemetery. It is the second cemetery thieves have recently targeted in the Carson-Compton area, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The estimated damage and cost of the missing plaques is upwards of $2 million, according to the Sheriff’s Department.

A week before the incident at Lincoln Memorial, thieves targeted the adjacent Woodlawn Memorial Park. As of Jan. 9, they had identified nearly 300 graves that had been vandalized; headstones on 92 in-ground graves had been knocked over and smashed and more than 200 plaques had been removed from mausoleum walls.

The Sheriff’s Department will also investigate claims by residents that a third cemetery, the Angeles Abbey Memorial Park in Compton, also has been vandalized. An employee at Angeles Abbey declined to comment.

Lt. Vincent Ursini of the Sheriff’s Department Major Crimes Bureau said authorities have not yet identified suspects but are chasing leads and reviewing security footage.

“It’s a sad state of affairs when you’re in your final resting spot and you can’t even rest in peace without somebody smashing your tombstone to get the metal off,” he said.

BobbyStrawberry 02-02-2024 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 2409922)
Robinson brought people together, instead of dividing them. Maybe we can try that here.

I understand and respect the point you're trying to make, but saying he "brought people together" is revisionist history. Honoring him now brings most people together, but there are still many, many deeply racist people in this country, some of whom would certainly stoop to stealing and burning a Jackie Robinson statue to make a point. Remember a few years ago how they had to make the Emmett Till memorial in Mississippi bulletproof after it had been riddled with bullet holes over and over again?

Swadewade51 02-02-2024 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2409986)
I understand and respect the point you're trying to make, but saying he "brought people together" is revisionist history. Honoring him now brings most people together, but there are still many, many deeply racist people in this country, some of whom would certainly stoop to stealing and burning a Jackie Robinson statue to make a point. Remember a few years ago how they had to make the Emmett Till memorial in Mississippi bulletproof after it had been riddled with bullet holes over and over again?

+1

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Exhibitman 02-02-2024 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judsonhamlin (Post 2409942)
Yup. Saved me from a career of real estate closings…

I’ve done them. They are low stress but rather boring.

calvindog 02-04-2024 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2409986)

I don’t think it’s revisionist history. Robinson’s existence in MLB caused many racists to reexamine their previously held positions on Blacks. And eventually Blacks in baseball became commonplace, allowing a once-excluded race access to America’s pastime. I don’t know how a statue today has even a fraction of the impact on race relations as Jackie breaking the color barrier back then did.

And yeah there are still racists in America. That is a fact which will remain regardless of the motive behind the theft of the statue, which still is unknown. The story I recounted in my post was designed to underscore that — when the WW2 statue was stolen it was presumed it was an anti-American statement when in reality it was nothing of the sort.

Exhibitman 02-04-2024 07:34 PM

I agree with Jeff's point on Robinson's effect. Look at what Roger Kahn wrote about the reactions of 'mild' racists on the Dodgers once they saw him in action. He changed a lot of peoples' minds. Happy Chandler supported Dixiecrat segrgationist politics yet within months issued a stern warning letter to the Phillies to stop the racial epithets from the bench.