Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   PSA wins again over SGC - 1954 Banks (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213894)

1952boyntoncollector 11-09-2015 06:46 PM

PSA wins again over SGC - 1954 Banks

PWCC auction 1954 Topps Banks PSA 8 goes for over 7000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141815841634

SGC 8 Banks a minute later --3800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Topps-E...p2047675.l2557

anyone want my psa 7.5

bnorth 11-09-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1470749)
PWCC auction 1954 Topps Banks PSA 8 goes for over 7000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141815841634

SGC 8 Banks a minute later --3800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Topps-E...p2047675.l2557

anyone want my psa 7.5

Those are waterfront cards. One ocean front and one drainage ditch. I know both grading companies give it a pass but that ugly rough cut on the SGC card probably killed the price.

1952boyntoncollector 11-09-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1470753)
Those are waterfront cards. One ocean front and one drainage ditch. I know both grading companies give it a pass but that ugly rough cut on the SGC card probably killed the price.

its an old PSA grade too ..more subject to fraud and more liberal standards..plus have to assume already tried for the half grade ...a newer flip sells for more ...3500 difference as it is ..I would not want to use SGC for my listing agent for my waterfront properties.....maybe Sell by owner the way to go for their cards

PM770 11-13-2015 08:55 AM

Winning bidders with 70% and 60%, respectively with the seller. I'd been interested to see if either or both go back up for sale in the very near future.

bobbyw8469 11-13-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PM770 (Post 1472260)
Winning bidders with 70% and 60%, respectively with the seller. I'd been interested to see if either or both go back up for sale in the very near future.

+1

Bored5000 11-13-2015 11:44 AM

I don't think this is any kind of shocking revelation that PSA sells for more than SGC in any set where there is a decent number of registry collectors. I am kicking myself for not at least putting in a snipe on the SGC 50 1915 Matty Cracker Jack card that closed at $1,213 on eBay a couple days ago. The 1915 Matty CJ is one of my white whales, but I didn't bid or put in a snipe because it was already at $900 with several days remaining and I figured it would close far out of my budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-Cracker...vip=true&rt=nc

cammb 12-03-2015 11:45 AM

If you want subgraded cards then PSA is your company. I stick with SGC because of their grading standards. I dont agree with all of their grades but PSA is pathetic. When I sell an SGC graded card, I always suggest you send it off to PSA for a higher grade because of their substandard grading. P.S. I usually try to buy a higher graded PSA card because when I break it out of its slab and resubmit to SGC, usually it comes back a grade lower.

1952boyntoncollector 12-03-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cammb (Post 1478268)
If you want subgraded cards then PSA is your company. I stick with SGC because of their grading standards. I dont agree with all of their grades but PSA is pathetic. When I sell an SGC graded card, I always suggest you send it off to PSA for a higher grade because of their substandard grading. P.S. I usually try to buy a higher graded PSA card because when I break it out of its slab and resubmit to SGC, usually it comes back a grade lower.

Just don't expect to sell a SGC 7 card for the same price as a PSA 7 card or any other like value and same centering and condition of the card for as much as the PSA card and you will be fine..

cammb 12-03-2015 04:33 PM

No I wont. When I decide to sell my SGC 84 (7)I will break it out and submit it to PSA where I will get an 8!!!

glynparson 12-05-2015 01:44 AM

cammb

if that were the case they would sell for a lpt more than they currently do because the dealers that make a living at this would be bidding heavily for the sgc cards to breakout submit to psa and make bank. i am not saying it doesnt happen and that their are not some poorly graded psa cards but i find sgc to be more lenient on condition than psa in many cases. Pretending every sgc card is a grade or more higher in a psa holder is laughable. in fact there are several dealers that switched to sgc because they were not getting enough high grades from psa.

1952boyntoncollector 12-05-2015 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1478775)
if that were the case they would sell for a lpt more than they currently do because the dealers that make a living at this would be bidding heavily for the sgc cards to breakout submit to psa and make bank. i am not saying it doesnt happen and that their are not some poorly graded psa cards but i find sgc to be more lenient on condition than psa in many cases. Pretending every sgc card is a grade or more higher in a psa holder is laughable. in fact there are several dealers that switched to sgc because they were not getting enough high grades from psa.

that my experience too...only waterfront property cards will I consider paying in the lowest of low range of the same grade number of a sgc card versus a PSA card....good luck getting a higher grade with psa then sgc...when its the opposite that's more likely to happen.....it almost not worth anymore getting a a regrade of one higher grade from psa to sgc when they are starting to sell so similar wit a 1 grade difference Ie. Leaf Jackie Rookie sgc 5 selling like a PSA 4 or real close

Peter_Spaeth 12-06-2015 07:43 PM

In my opinion, it used to be that for the most part PSA and SGC graded about the same, except maybe SGC was a little easier on centering, and stricter on paper loss and wrinkles.

Now, it seems SGC at least on prewar has becomes much looser about corner wear (I see cards with rounded corners in 5s which I find troubling). At the 6-8 grades they still seem to grade pretty much as I would. PSA, on the other hand, has become too strict. I see lots of cards that I would grade 1-1.5 grades higher.

wilkiebaby11 12-09-2015 06:54 AM

The PSA 8 does look better than the SGC 8, imo. Sharper corners and the contrast is a little better (assuming it's not the scanner). Is it 2.5x better...? Personally, I don't think so, but obviously PSA is in more demand than SGC and has always carried a little more of a premium.

https://media.giphy.com/media/76Mm7skmCkAXC/giphy.gif

1952boyntoncollector 12-09-2015 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=wilkiebaby11;1480153]The PSA 8 does look better than the SGC 8, imo. Sharper corners and the contrast is a little better (assuming it's not the scanner). Is it 2.5x better...? Personally, I don't think so, but obviously PSA is in more demand than SGC and has always carried a little more of a premium.

cool graphic...PSA carriers much more than a 'little' more of a premium...the clear direction is a 1 grade difference in value for same graded cards in similar condition... obviously if you are buying a SGC card now you are getting that benefit now so doesn't impact the resell but I know 3 years ago, people were paying much closer amounts so it hurts the buyers there if they plan on reselling...for the hobbyist it doesn't matter either way..

wilkiebaby11 12-09-2015 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=1952boyntoncollector;1480184]
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 (Post 1480153)
The PSA 8 does look better than the SGC 8, imo. Sharper corners and the contrast is a little better (assuming it's not the scanner). Is it 2.5x better...? Personally, I don't think so, but obviously PSA is in more demand than SGC and has always carried a little more of a premium.

cool graphic...PSA carriers much more than a 'little' more of a premium...the clear direction is a 1 grade difference in value for same graded cards in similar condition... obviously if you are buying a SGC card now you are getting that benefit now so doesn't impact the resell but I know 3 years ago, people were paying much closer amounts so it hurts the buyers there if they plan on reselling...for the hobbyist it doesn't matter either way..

I can't comment on the premiums of cards of this caliber, but in the "middle class" range of EX to NM cards for standard HOFers of the 50's & 60's, PSA seems to carry about a half point or roughly 20% premium on their SGC counterpart.

I give nearly all credit to the PSA Registry. If SGC ever wants to compete, they need to make their registry more popular than PSA's. That will start will supply. It'd be cool if they did a promotion of free grading if you are flipping the card from PSA to SGC. That would possibly motivate people to change over without any added cost. Obviously SGC would take a hit now, but in the long run, it could possibly help them over take PSA.

Just to note, I dont care if they do or don't. I have no preference in the matter.

cammb 12-10-2015 06:06 AM

glynparson

My experience is the opposite. I find that PSA is definitely substandard compared to SGC. I have bought PSA 6's with corner creases and will never be burned by them again. This my opinion and my experience.