Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should I send to SGC? '48 Paige ~ Opinions appreciated! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292807)

vthobby 12-03-2020 11:07 AM

Should I send to SGC? '48 Paige ~ Opinions appreciated!

1 Attachment(s)
Got this beauty slabbed and I'm very happy! I also LOVE SGC and would think this card would really "pop" in a SGC holder. I had heard in a PSA holder not to expect more than an 2 with tape residue. Any thoughts on what SGC would grade this as?

I understand it will cost me about $500 for 1 day review service on this card. I'd also ask them not to slab unless they thought it was 2 or better.

Thoughts???? I'm holding for now but would enjoy hearing your opinions.

Thanks! Mike

Attachment 429283

BRoberts 12-03-2020 11:15 AM

I vote yes. Right now you have only one TPG's opinion, PSA. Why not get SGC's? After you receive it back, you could send it to Beckett. After Beckett grades it, maybe send to the newcomer, CSG? Then you would have four opinions, and you could choose which one you agree with most and send it back to that company. You also would have the option to repeat the process a year or two down the road.

samosa4u 12-03-2020 11:15 AM

No! Just leave it alone!

samosa4u 12-03-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broberts (Post 2041564)
i vote yes. Right now you have only one tpg's opinion, psa. Why not get sgc's? After you receive it back, you could send it to beckett. After beckett grades it, maybe send to the newcomer, csg? Then you would have four opinions, and you could choose which one you agree with most and send it back to that company. You also would have the option to repeat the process a year or two down the road.

lol!!!

ullmandds 12-03-2020 11:16 AM

So why did you send it to PSA if you love SGC?

perezfan 12-03-2020 11:22 AM

Theoretically I'd use SGC if you intend to keep, and leave it as PSA if you intend to sell. But that $500 fee.... ugh! :eek:

Since it's already been slabbed, I would use that cash towards something tangible... like another card. ;)

edit: Yesterday you seemed thrilled to have it come back as a "1.5". Nothing but pure joy. And now you're waffling on it? My advice is to do what makes you happiest as a collector, rather than relying on another person's "opinion". The card is the card, regardless of the plastic.

vthobby 12-03-2020 11:26 AM

Cuz...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2041568)
So why did you send it to PSA if you love SGC?

Pete, because unfortunately I feel down the road (it all has to go someday), it probably has more exposure in a PSA holder. I said "I also love SGC". I like both companies when they get things right. You know what I mean there. You collect some of the same stuff I do. Great eye appeal cards.

I really wish SGC had a viable registry. I do notice that SGC is catching up in price to PSA but I feel it is coming slowly and it is unjustifiable. I mean I think SGC is just as valuable as PSA but that is my opinion.

SGC should get more respect thats all. I've been sending very nice cards to both companies since they started. I'm aware of the problems out there and try to say away from problem cards.

Sometimes you go with your "gut" and I've done well with some PSA grades lately and they have hit my time targets (I pay more for that lol).

It was just a "gut" call tbh.

Phew!

Thanks! Mike

vthobby 12-03-2020 11:29 AM

I did!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2041573)
Theoretically I'd use SGC if you intend to keep, and leave it as PSA if you intend to sell. But that $500 fee.... ugh! :eek:

Since it's already been slabbed, I would use that cash towards something tangible... like another card. ;)

edit: Yesterday you seemed thrilled to have it come back as a "1.5". Nothing but pure joy. And now you're waffling on it? My advice is to do what makes you happiest as a collector, rather than relying on another person's "opinion". The card is the card, regardless of the plastic.

Thanks Mark, I did last night! Bought this!

Attachment 429295

vthobby 12-03-2020 11:31 AM

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRoberts (Post 2041564)
I vote yes. Right now you have only one TPG's opinion, PSA. Why not get SGC's? After you receive it back, you could send it to Beckett. After Beckett grades it, maybe send to the newcomer, CSG? Then you would have four opinions, and you could choose which one you agree with most and send it back to that company. You also would have the option to repeat the process a year or two down the road.

I get your humor but you missed the intent of the question.

I'm happy with it, just wanted opinions. Thanks for yours! :D

Peace, Mike

drcy 12-03-2020 11:38 AM

You might choose to get the 48 Paige restored. The tape removed. It might have best value in that state, even when labeled AUTH

vthobby 12-03-2020 11:40 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2041573)

Mark,

Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled and most likely will keep it in the PSA holder. I always "buy the card and not the holder". This is a perfect card for that attitude. I am human and of course if I think it might be higher like a 2 or a 3 in an SGC I'd enjoy having that. Thats all. I'm dreaming most likely and was just asking for opinions nothing more. I love the card. I appreciate your thoughts on it, thank you! Mike

vthobby 12-03-2020 11:42 AM

No

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2041586)
You might choose to get the 48 Paige restored. The tape removed. It might have best value in that state, even when labeled AUTH

David,

I love the card. I will not do that! It shows the card was loved and I do appreciate the history of the game and certainly collecting cards. I appreciate the thought though!

Peace, Mike

wazoo 12-03-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2041587)
Mark,

Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled and most likely will keep it "as is". I always "buy the card and not the holder". This is a perfect card for that attitude. I am human and of course if I think it might be higher like a 2 or a 3 in an SGC I'd enjoy having that. Thats all. I'm dreaming most likely and was just asking for opinions nothing more. I love the card. I appreciate your thoughts on it, thank you! Mike

Mike, this card is beautiful but I don't think it's coming back any higher in an SGC case. I have a gorgeous t206 Mathewson black cap, with almost invisible tape on the back. You have to squint to see it. No creasing, great centering and registration. It is a 1.5. I don't see it doing any better. Although it would look great with the tux, the $500 cost is not worth it IMO. I'd leave it be.

luciobar1980 12-03-2020 11:43 AM

Geezus, after all that pomp and circumstance now you wanna send it to SGC? Why? What's the point? I like SGC and all, but why?

samosa4u 12-03-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2041586)

Somebody eventually is going to do this (after Mike sells it). And it will get a NUMERICAL grade too! :)

packs 12-03-2020 12:58 PM

I wouldn't do it. I think getting the 1.5 was lucky enough.

bobbyw8469 12-03-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2041603)

This.

notfast 12-03-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luciobar1980 (Post 2041590)
Geezus, after all that pomp and circumstance now you wanna send it to SGC? Why? What's the point? I like SGC and all, but why?

So there could be another thread guessing the SGC grade :D

3-2-count 12-03-2020 01:44 PM

Mike, I love the card just how it sits.

I’d keep it in its PSA slab!

vthobby 12-03-2020 01:47 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 2041621)
Mike, I love the card just how it sits.

I’d keep it in its PSA slab!

I will Tony, thanks for the advice, its fun to dream! Your autos are on the way btw! Congrats on your win!

Thanks! Mike

vthobby 12-03-2020 01:55 PM

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by notfast (Post 2041620)
So there could be another thread guessing the SGC grade :D

Not so fast "Notfast",

I'm keeping it in the nice PSA holder, I did laugh out loud at your comment though! It was funny!

Peace, Mike

vthobby 12-03-2020 01:56 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2041603)

I'm cool with it, just like to dream. I'm human! :)

I'm keeping it!

Thanks! Mike

vthobby 12-03-2020 01:58 PM

Cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazoo (Post 2041589)
Mike, this card is beautiful but I don't think it's coming back any higher in an SGC case. I have a gorgeous t206 Mathewson black cap, with almost invisible tape on the back. You have to squint to see it. No creasing, great centering and registration. It is a 1.5. I don't see it doing any better. Although it would look great with the tux, the $500 cost is not worth it IMO. I'd leave it be.

Joshua,

I appreciate the example you mentioned and I respect your judgement like most on here! Thanks for the assist. Have a safe and happy holiday season!

Peace, Mike

yanks87 12-03-2020 01:58 PM

Perfect solution

1 Attachment(s)
I've got the perfect solve for you. Since you love SGC, I would be willing to trade my SGC for your PSA. As an added bonus, mine has all 4 borders removed so it look EXTRA GOOD against that black mat.....

I'd leave it where it is, its a great card (stain and all), it has character and I have border envy.

vthobby 12-03-2020 02:00 PM

Omg!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks87 (Post 2041630)
I've got the perfect solve for you. Since you love SGC, I would be willing to trade my SGC for your PSA. As an added bonus, mine has all 4 borders removed so it look EXTRA GOOD against that black mat.....

I'd leave it where it is, its a great card (stain and all), it has character and I have border envy.

Brian,

Border envy? Love that! Your card does look really nice. I'll probably pass but the "border envy" line almost worked! :) :D

Peace, Mike

PS The colors and registration on yours is off the charts! Nice! You know the old SGC grades were so small you had to squint sometimes to see the grade. They must have found out I'm getting older and their grades literally jump off the slab! I do like their holders and their consistency!

petecld 12-03-2020 02:07 PM

IMO -

With that large tape stain SGC will not grade it higher than a 1.5 but it might be visually nicer in the SGC holder.

If you're lucky you MIGHT get a 2.

It's a nice card. I would be happy with the fact you have a very nice "fair" condition card.

yanks87 12-03-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2041631)
Brian,

Border envy? Love that! Your card does look really nice. I'll probably pass but the "border envy" line almost worked! :) :D

Peace, Mike

PS The colors and registration on yours is off the charts! Nice! You know the old SGC grades were so small you had to squint sometimes to see the grade. They must have found out I'm getting older and their grades literally jump off the slab! I do like their holders and their consistency!

It was worth a shot! Actually, I love the card, he has an extra growth on his ear as well, but it just adds to the charm. Ironically enough PSA wouldn't cross it over, claiming they couldn't ensure safe encapsulation of the card. It's kinda like not wanting to buy shoes for your dog with no legs because they might get dirty?!

charlietheexterminator 12-03-2020 03:00 PM

I would leave it in the PSA holder, it is what it is. Getting a half grade more from SGC is not going to value the card any higher.

vthobby 12-03-2020 03:37 PM

Wow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks87 (Post 2041641)
It was worth a shot! Actually, I love the card, he has an extra growth on his ear as well, but it just adds to the charm. Ironically enough PSA wouldn't cross it over, claiming they couldn't ensure safe encapsulation of the card. It's kinda like not wanting to buy shoes for your dog with no legs because they might get dirty?!

That's amazing that they would not cross that over?!?!?! You would think they would want that in their holder but that is one of my gripes is that like Beckett, I wish they would slide the card in a clear sealed penny sleeve. Each sleeve would fit different sized cards and the movement issue or damage issue would be resolved. Not sure if you like the penny sleeve idea that Beckett employs but I love it!

Thanks! Mike

Luke 12-03-2020 03:59 PM

If you're just looking at it in financial terms, you're basically just looking at a math problem. The question is, "How much of a $ value increase, do you need to get when SGC gives this card a grade of 2 or higher, in order to break even on all the times you spend $500 and they return the card in the PSA holder.

The equation looks like this:

Break even = (% of the time SGC does not grade the card a 2 or higher)(-$500) + (% of the time SGC grades card a 2 or higher)(x)

Where x equals the value increase needed in order to break even

You can play around with the % chance that SGC gives you a 2 or higher.

In my opinion, it's next to impossible that SGC would grade this card a 2 or higher. Not impossible, but close. So for me, I would say it's about a 2% chance. Here's the math for 2%:

0 = (.98)(-500) + (.02)(x)

0 = -490 + .02x

subtract -490 from each side:

490 = .02x

divide both sides by .02

x=24,500

So at a 2% chance of receiving a 2 or higher, you'd need the vlaue increase from your PSA 1.5 to the new SGC holder to $24,500 in order to break even on the bet you're making.

If you think there's a 5% chance, you need the value increase to be $9500

At a 10% chance, you need the value increase to be $4500

Also, it's not really $500. Probably closer to $600 after you pay postage and insurance twice.

In my opinion you should keep it as is, and it's not really close.

vthobby 12-03-2020 04:23 PM

Wow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 2041677)
If you're just looking at it in financial terms, you're basically just looking at a math problem. The question is, "How much of a $ value increase, do you need to get when SGC gives this card a grade of 2 or higher, in order to break even on all the times you spend $500 and they return the card in the PSA holder.

The equation looks like this:

Break even = (% of the time SGC does not grade the card a 2 or higher)(-$500) + (% of the time SGC grades card a 2 or higher)(x)

Where x equals the value increase needed in order to break even

You can play around with the % chance that SGC gives you a 2 or higher.

In my opinion, it's next to impossible that SGC would grade this card a 2 or higher. Not impossible, but close. So for me, I would say it's about a 2% chance. Here's the math for 2%:

0 = (.98)(-500) + (.02)(x)

0 = -490 + .02x

subtract -490 from each side:

490 = .02x

divide both sides by .02

x=24,500

So at a 2% chance of receiving a 2 or higher, you'd need the vlaue increase from your PSA 1.5 to the new SGC holder to $24,500 in order to break even on the bet you're making.

If you think there's a 5% chance, you need the value increase to be $9500

At a 10% chance, you need the value increase to be $4500

Also, it's not really $500. Probably closer to $600 after you pay postage and insurance twice.

In my opinion you should keep it as is, and it's not really close.

Damn Luke, that is appreciated! I'm convinced its staying in the PSA holder! Wow! Impressive! Thank you!

Mike

Kaneen 12-03-2020 10:36 PM

If I were you...

I would most definitely send this card in for consideration of adding the hobby demanded and highly coveted "PURPLE LABEL!"

http://www.gradingsportscards.com/

Your card would look absolutely fantastic in its current PSA holder with the addition of the Purple Label, reserved for only the most exquisite examples of undergraded eye poppers! You should do this as soon as possible. (Before the statute of limitations runs out on making a claim to any and all prizes awarded in that previous contest you ran!)

Just think, if this card actually ended up as a PSA 1.5 Purple Label...who could have possibly predicted such a thing?!

68Hawk 12-03-2020 11:22 PM

Beautiful card Mike!

Sorry, got nothing smart alecky to say re grading. I personally love that another piece of important sporting memorabilia lies safer today between some visually clear sheets of pvc and can be shared joyfully among grubby hands of family and friends alike entrusted so.

Enjoy mate.

Stampsfan 12-04-2020 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2041561)

Arguably this is the finest 48 Leaf Paige that Net54 has discussed...

vthobby 12-04-2020 05:20 AM

Prediction...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneen (Post 2041818)
I would most definitely send this card in for consideration of adding the hobby demanded and highly coveted "PURPLE LABEL!"

http://www.gradingsportscards.com/

Your card would look absolutely fantastic in its current PSA holder with the addition of the Purple Label, reserved for only the most exquisite examples of undergraded eye poppers! You should do this as soon as possible. (Before the statute of limitations runs out on making a claim to any and all prizes awarded in that previous contest you ran!)

Just think, if this card actually ended up as a PSA 1.5 Purple Label...who could have possibly predicted such a thing?!

Well of course......you would have predicted it Kaneen! :)

Also, please don't confuse the possibilities. It is important to distinguish statutes of limitations from the closely related yet distinct common law doctrine of ‘laches.’ The doctrine of laches vests courts with discretionary authority to determine whether a plaintiff, while commencing a legal action within the time requirements set forth by the relevant statute of limitations, nonetheless has unreasonably delayed bringing a lawsuit to the detriment of a defendant. Both statutes of limitations and the doctrine of laches limit a plaintiff's access to court. These are good things to know........as you know! :D

Peace, Mike

vthobby 12-04-2020 05:27 AM

Thanks!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Hawk (Post 2041821)
Beautiful card Mike!

Sorry, got nothing smart alecky to say re grading. I personally love that another piece of important sporting memorabilia lies safer today between some visually clear sheets of pvc and can be shared joyfully among grubby hands of family and friends alike entrusted so.

Enjoy mate.

Daniel,

Don't forget the prying claws and jaws of over aggressive pets! :D

Thanks! Mike

Attachment 429414

MattyC 12-04-2020 09:46 AM

Keep it where it is. Great card.

Needing the "experts" at PSA and SGC to tell us what we have, exalting their arbitrary opinions, this is what created these shambolically run monoliths in the first place.

The market has thankfully matured to the point where collectors'/buyers' eyes price things to a great extent on eye appeal and use the technical grade as merely a guideline.

I hesitate to use the term "technical" grade as there is very little "technical" going on in the TPG grading rooms. It seems even something as rudimentary as a ruler, found in most grammar school students' desks, is too technical a tool for "professional" graders LOL.

Should SGC put a "2 sticker" above the card, it certainly won't change the card and likely wouldn't change how others perceive it, either— from both the aesthetic and financial perspectives.

icurnmedic 12-04-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlietheexterminator (Post 2041651)
I would leave it in the PSA holder, it is what it is. Getting a half grade more from SGC is not going to value the card any higher.

Agree with this. Leave it where it is. I think the 1.5 from PSA was a gift. Nice card!

vthobby 12-04-2020 10:46 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 2041914)
Keep it where it is. Great card.

Needing the "experts" at PSA and SGC to tell us what we have, exalting their arbitrary opinions, this is what created these shambolically run monoliths in the first place.

The market has thankfully matured to the point where collectors'/buyers' eyes price things to a great extent on eye appeal and use the technical grade as merely a guideline.

I hesitate to use the term "technical" grade as there is very little "technical" going on in the TPG grading rooms. It seems even something as rudimentary as a ruler, found in most grammar school students' desks, is too technical a tool for "professional" graders LOL.

Should SGC put a "2 sticker" above the card, it certainly won't change the card and likely wouldn't change how others perceive it, either— from both the aesthetic and financial perspectives.

MattyC and others,

Thanks for your opinions and analysis. That was well said MattyC. Logical and well laid out. I'm keeping it!

Thanks! Mike

Leon 12-06-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2041937)
MattyC and others,

Thanks for your opinions and analysis. That was well said MattyC. Logical and well laid out. I'm keeping it!

Thanks! Mike

Good decision Mike. It is clear to see what the situation with the card is. Don't really need another, possibly less educated, opinion. :)