Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   USPS - Slow, and seems to be getting worse (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286344)

Snapolit1 07-21-2020 09:23 AM

USPS - Slow, and seems to be getting worse

Seems like USPS is coming to a slow halt these days. Priority Mail boxes are taking me 4 or 5 days to get to where they need to be. Even in April-May wasn't this bad. I've never had the PO tell me 4 days for a priority mail box going within the same time zone. Realize COVID issues but seems like things are really grinding to a halt. Send a priority mail box NJ-MI on an ebay sale and took 5 days. Perhaps a little work slow down in effect in response to the growing political pressures on USPS?

conor912 07-21-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2001119)
Seems like USPS is coming to a slow halt these days. Priority Mail boxes are taking me 4 or 5 days to get to where they need to be. Even in April-May wasn't this bad. I've never had the PO tell me 4 days for a priority mail box going within the same time zone. Realize COVID issues but seems like things are really grinding to a halt. Send a priority mail box NJ-MI on an ebay sale and took 5 days. Perhaps a little work slow down in effect in response to the growing political pressures on USPS?

Not sure if it’s political, covid, summertime slowdown or what, but i agree. Most things I’ve received in the last few weeks have taken about a week from time of purchase to arrival.

jcmtiger 07-21-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2001119)

Priority mail Florida to Texas 2 1/2 days

brewing 07-21-2020 10:25 AM

I did read somewhere that USPS has been experiencing holiday like mail since late March. They usually hire holiday help during the holidays, but didn't this summer. I expect some slowness.

I've had some items 1-2 days slow, but most arrive very timely. Did have a bubble mailer from Canada get stuck in Chicago for almost 3 weeks and a stamped envelope take 10 days GA to AR. Not bad for over 500 packages sent/received since March.

Everything has made it though.

rjackson44 07-21-2020 10:59 AM

haven't had one problem

sportscomicfantasy 07-21-2020 12:11 PM

I mail out between 5-10 items on average a week of mostly my newer stuff I am selling. I agree that the mail has been taking longer. I send most with 1st class tracking but have maybe one on average that goes out priority mail.

My priority mail has taken longer, have a few arrive in 3 days, but mostly 5-6 business days. I had a couple that took 10 days.

Now my 1st class mail mostly 2-3 days befoe the virus on average, with a few exceptions of course. Now they are mostly 3-5 days, but with a few going around 6-8 and a couple going longer.

buymycards 07-21-2020 12:29 PM

usps

Most of my mail is still being delivered in a timely manner, but I expect major slowdowns.

The instructions from the new Postmaster General (who has no Postal experience) is that absolutely no overtime will be used by anyone. If a carrier is out on the street and they can't get done in 8 hours, they bring the mail back for delivery the next day. That includes packages. If the truck from the processing plant is supposed to leave the plant at 4:30 am to deliver to the local Post Offices, the truck has to leave on time, even if it means letting mail sit on the dock and hopefully, it will go out the next day.

The tough thing about the no overtime rule is that many of the offices are understaffed. Not enough carriers, clerks, mail processors, etc. to go around, and, in the Post Office the hiring and training process can take months. Covid is making the situation even worse.

Locally, I am seeing some of my packages arrive at the plant in Madison at 2:30 in the morning, and normally, they would be on the truck leaving for my Post Office when it leaves at 4:30. Now, the packages are sitting in Madison for 1 or 2 days before they are sent out to the local Post Offices. This is going to create a big bottle neck in the processing centers, and they were having major problems already.

In spite of all of this, I can't complain about the service that I have been receiving.

Yankees1964 07-21-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 2001180)
Most of my mail is still being delivered in a timely manner, but I expect major slowdowns.

The instructions from the new Postmaster General (who has no Postal experience) is that absolutely no overtime will be used by anyone. If a carrier is out on the street and they can't get done in 8 hours, they bring the mail back for delivery the next day. That includes packages. If the truck from the processing plant is supposed to leave the plant at 4:30 am to deliver to the local Post Offices, the truck has to leave on time, even if it means letting mail sit on the dock and hopefully, it will go out the next day.

The tough thing about the no overtime rule is that many of the offices are understaffed. Not enough carriers, clerks, mail processors, etc. to go around, and, in the Post Office the hiring and training process can take months. Covid is making the situation even worse.

Locally, I am seeing some of my packages arrive at the plant in Madison at 2:30 in the morning, and normally, they would be on the truck leaving for my Post Office when it leaves at 4:30. Now, the packages are sitting in Madison for 1 or 2 days before they are sent out to the local Post Offices. This is going to create a big bottle neck in the processing centers, and they were having major problems already.

In spite of all of this, I can't complain about the service that I have been receiving.

What Rick said is 100% correct. The new Postmaster General is not helping.

insidethewrapper 07-21-2020 01:15 PM

I received my "Mile High Auction Catalog" in the mail July 6th. The auction closed May 14th ! I received another auction house catalog on Jul 19th and the auction ended the first week in July. Paying bills by mail have been crazy, the mail is arriving after the due date and they want to change late fees and penalities.

Snapolit1 07-21-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2001192)
I received my "Mile High Auction Catalog" in the mail July 6th. The auction closed May 14th ! I received another auction house catalog on Jul 19th and the auction ended the first week in July. Paying bills by mail have been crazy, the mail is arriving after the due date and they want to change late fees and penalities.

I ordered a pretty small tabletop art book July 6 on eBay and supposedly was mailed July 8. Not here yet. Sheesh. What did they mail it, 9th class mail.

Not infrequently I get catalogs or brochures for auctions after they've closed.

Jim65 07-21-2020 03:18 PM

It seems like certain parts of the country are worse. I ordered 2 different items from Michigan and both times, it took 6 days to Jersey by Priority Mail. My other deliveries seem unaffected or maybe an extra day at most.

Natswin2019 07-21-2020 03:29 PM

All the things that I've been ordering haven been showing up on time for the most part. The few things that I've ordered that have showed up late have only been by a day or so. The longest I've had to wait for something to show up has been about 7 or 8 days. This week has been the first week where I've had more than one thing show up late and even then it's only going to be by a day or so. All the deliveries that I've had show up late have been Texas to Virginia so maybe that has something to do with it.

ClementeFanOh 07-21-2020 03:30 PM

USPS mail delivery

No issues whatsoever in SW Ohio, quick and reliable. Trent King

cardsagain74 07-21-2020 04:41 PM

No issues here either in southwest Pennsylvania, other than the occasional package to or from Canada. Those are apparently still a nightmare, regardless of where you are in the US

rdwyer 07-21-2020 04:56 PM

I ordered something from China and it's been 2 months so far. Still waiting.

I think it's being shipped from Mars.

jayshum 07-21-2020 04:59 PM

A number of shipments for me have been slow. Something that was shipped 2-day priority mail took 4 days, and I am currently waiting for a card from Arizona (to NJ) that was mailed on July 15. Original delivery date was listed as July 20, but since July 19 just says In Transit, Arriving Late.

bnorth 07-21-2020 05:02 PM

I has been great for me the last 2 weeks. Bought and sold a few thing with fellow members and eBay. Everything has been on time unlike the previous 2 months. One package was mailed on a Saturday on the east coast and I got it Monday in the upper mid-west.

bmattioli 07-21-2020 06:22 PM

Priority package from Ohio to CT in two days. No problems here..

bigtrain 07-21-2020 08:01 PM

Priority Mail from Illinois to upstate New York - less than 800 miles.
Shipped July 3, no tracking information since July 7. Eighteen days
so far. USPS says Covid is causing delays.

hcv123 07-21-2020 08:24 PM

Long Island NY

no issues so far - lots of packages in and out including international......please, please, please let it stay that way!

Rich Klein 07-21-2020 08:57 PM

I had a package, paid for in full, which USPS butchered all sorts of ways including never actually getting me the package.

Seller provided all documentation. USPS blew it.

Seller to his credit is sending me replacement material to help make up for my loss.

Since Seller is going above and beyond no need to name him other than to say I appreciate the back up agreement we came up with to help him and me.

That was sent to my office, from here on in stuff is going to my home.

Rich

PhillyFan1883 07-21-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2001343)
I had a package, paid for in full, which USPS butchered all sorts of ways including never actually getting me the package.

Seller provided all documentation. USPS blew it.

Seller to his credit is sending me replacement material to help make up for my loss.

Since Seller is going above and beyond no need to name him other than to say I appreciate the back up agreement we came up with to help him and me.

That was sent to my office, from here on in stuff is going to my home.

Rich

Rich, which service from usps did you have the issue with ?

whitehse 07-21-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

I do have a question as my wife and I frequently joke that someone must be getting huge amounts of overtime as our local PO is delivering packages on a Sunday with Amazon packages appearing the most frequent Sunday deliveries. Are those workers getting overtime or Sunday shift differential or is that just extra workers who are doing package delivery only and getting paid straight time and likely working perhaps only on Sundays?

buymycards 07-22-2020 07:04 AM

Amazon

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitehse (Post 2001374)
I do have a question as my wife and I frequently joke that someone must be getting huge amounts of overtime as our local PO is delivering packages on a Sunday with Amazon packages appearing the most frequent Sunday deliveries. Are those workers getting overtime or Sunday shift differential or is that just extra workers who are doing package delivery only and getting paid straight time and likely working perhaps only on Sundays?

Many of these workers are hired to deliver packages on Saturday and Sunday. I have been retired for 3 years, but in the past, full time workers were not allowed to deliver Amazon on Sundays. Only part timers were used. Then, they hired people especially for Amazon deliveries. The USPS would never admit it, but Amazon has been bad for the Postal Service and because of Amazon's discounts, I believe the Po is losing money by delivering Amazon.

Rich Klein 07-22-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyFan1883 (Post 2001365)
Rich, which service from usps did you have the issue with ?

One although they know exactly where my office was, the USPS said no known address.

Two days later, they did deliver the package -- left it outside the locked building in what is basically an outdoor shopping mall where anyone could and did walk off with said package.

Terrible work by USPS here.

4reals 07-22-2020 08:58 AM

I shipped a package to Japan and they got it in a week! I ordered something from China on accident and thought it was going to take forever and I got it in a week because they used DHL. My stateside stuff is taking an extra couple days but the worst is US/Canada shipping. It’s gotten to the point where I refuse Canadian transactions for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubman1941 07-22-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

My son is a postmaster in a small post office in Wisconsin. He visited last week and I asked him about this. They are struggling with the no overtime rule.
He also confirmed about packages being left in the processing center because when it is time to leave, the employees leave and what is on the line is left until the next day. However, Amazon is in the process of setting up delivery of their own packages so this will ease the burden of the P.O., however, it also will be a big lose of revenue.

earlywynnfan 07-22-2020 09:38 AM

I'm mailing 20-30 items per week, and I've only had one problem recently, that was also in Michigan. Seems to have sat in Detroit for about 2-3 weeks, but did arrive.

nickedson 07-22-2020 10:03 AM

Michigan - specifically southern Michigan - seems to be where some packages go to sit for a month or more with the USPS. I've had 2 packages get "lost" in southern Michigan for more than 5 weeks and one package from the Detroit area take more than 4 weeks to get to me. Ironically, I sent a big ticket card (more than $6,500) out to California last month and it arrived in 2 days. Go figure!

Huysmans 07-22-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4reals (Post 2001475)
I shipped a package to Japan and they got it in a week! I ordered something from China on accident and thought it was going to take forever and I got it in a week because they used DHL. My stateside stuff is taking an extra couple days but the worst is US/Canada shipping. It’s gotten to the point where I refuse Canadian transactions for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really odd... I've had absolutely no problems receiving packages on time and even early in Canada from US locations.

earlywynnfan 07-22-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Hmm, as the 3rd last house on the longest route in my town, I'm envisioning many days without any mail delivery. Bummer!!

jcmtiger 07-22-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2001201)
I ordered a pretty small tabletop art book July 6 on eBay and supposedly was mailed July 8. Not here yet. Sheesh. What did they mail it, 9th class mail.

Not infrequently I get catalogs or brochures for auctions after they've closed.

Media mail, maybe

Fballguy 07-22-2020 03:15 PM

It's pretty glaring right now. As you said worse than in March. I began to notice it within the last month. I've had two ebay purchases no show. One was USPS the other UPS. Tracking just stopped at the end of June and beginning of July. I've always known USPS customer service is non-existent, but UPS is equally useless now. When you call they flat out tell you speaking to a human is not an option. They must all be in India which is in total lockdown. Frustrating because that package made it all the way to my city and just stopped. I'm waiting for two other USPS packages now that haven't changed status since July 15.

I've noticed packages going through the middle of the country, Illinois in particular, seem to be having problems as well. I had one that went in circles for a week before breaking free from the vortex and heading to me. Had another that seemed to be walking through the state for delivery.

icollectDCsports 07-22-2020 03:55 PM

I've never had a bad experience with the USPS until the past couple of months. A fairly important document I sent was never delivered, and I didn't receive an eBay item sent to me from a seller I trust.

Seven 07-22-2020 04:33 PM

Past few months have been rough, I detailed a terrible experience with them in two threads. Packages in general have been coming a little late. Their overworked, and understaffed,in my opinion. The Government isn't doing them any favors either and I certainly don't think the new Post Master General is going to help either.

seanofjapan 07-22-2020 07:20 PM

I am in Japan and the postal system here won’t accept any mail going to the US. The problem is not on Japan Post’s end, they are accepting mail to almost all other developed countries, it is specifically on the US end. Its weird. I can send stuff to Canada or even Mexico, but not to the US. Something is wrong.

Snapolit1 07-30-2020 08:35 AM

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/po...?mod=home-page

bnorth 07-30-2020 09:35 AM

I am still having great luck with the PO. Bought a Wade Boggs bat a few days ago with expected delivery Saturday. Just looked and it is out for delivery and I should have it in hand within the hour.:)

Phil68 07-30-2020 10:44 AM

I have had quite a few issues. One extremely impatient buyer (guy is certifiably nuts, actually--opened a "Haven't Recieved my item" claim on the 11th day after purchase (despite contacting me for 4 days prior and getting responses and tracking info). That said, I did receive this information and have followed up with my local PO as to its accuracy and was told "unfortunately, there have been some issues. Those numbers are a bit high, but definitely some issues."

Here's my crazy buyer's note through eBay--be mindful this was just 7 days after the auction closed...so he was more than a little aggressive...

Hi Phil,

Following our conversation this morning I received the following information from the USPS the 8 listed cities below have encountered a 69% delivery problem as of 07/26/2020 with first class mail & packages. Most have been receiving 200,000 pieces of mail daily and have been storing them in trailers, the back-flow has caused numinous problems for all customers. Changes by the President which began last week have impacted the already financial problems of the USPS. If this problem continues, the entire postal system will collapse. I’m not happy, after spending several hundred dollars; I have no idea when or even if my package will be delivered. I’m sure you’ll be hearing from other customers whose mail travels through these states.......Ron

Chicago NDC
Detroit NDC
New Jersey NDC
St Paul, MN NDC
Texas NDC
Tenn NDC
California NDC
Memphis NDC

buymycards 07-30-2020 11:01 AM

Japan

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanofjapan (Post 2001691)
I am in Japan and the postal system here won’t accept any mail going to the US. The problem is not on Japan Post’s end, they are accepting mail to almost all other developed countries, it is specifically on the US end. Its weird. I can send stuff to Canada or even Mexico, but not to the US. Something is wrong.

The JapanPost website shows that parcel delivery is suspended to 141 countries, including the U.S. They are accepting letter mail to the US and surface mail, but that is all at this time.

Gnep31 07-30-2020 11:12 AM

My situation wasn't USPS but UPS which occurred this past Tues.

I had a large box of cards arriving, including unopened loose packs and boxes. I'm working from home so I used the UPS function to track where the truck actually was....all day.

I don't live in a big city and I watched the driver zig zag, backtrack, go out into the country then back into town all day. On three different occasions he was within a 30 second drive of my house during the day and did not deliver. He finally stopped after 5!

When I did get the box it looked like it had gone 10 rounds with Tyson. Thankfully the packaging was good so the boxes were not damaged, but I took pics before opening...just in case.

I can only imagine the amount of time that would have been saved if he would have had a correctly mapped out delivery schedule. Best guess is he would have shaved off a few hrs at least.

buymycards 07-30-2020 11:20 AM

Ups

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnep31 (Post 2004295)
My situation wasn't USPS but UPS which occurred this past Tues.

I had a large box of cards arriving, including unopened loose packs and boxes. I'm working from home so I used the UPS function to track where the truck actually was....all day.

I don't live in a big city and I watched the driver zig zag, backtrack, go out into the country then back into town all day. On three different occasions he was within a 30 second drive of my house during the day and did not deliver. He finally stopped after 5!

When I did get the box it looked like it had gone 10 rounds with Tyson. Thankfully the packaging was good so the boxes were not damaged, but I took pics before opening...just in case.

I can only imagine the amount of time that would have been saved if he would have had a correctly mapped out delivery schedule. Best guess is he would have shaved off a few hrs at least.

UPS has a GPS system that tells the drivers which package to deliver next. I'm sure the driver knows that it was stupid to drive by your house so many times, but he/she doesn't have a choice except to follow that route that is determined by the GPS system. The Post Office put one of these systems in place a few years ago, and it was a mess. It had carriers driving the wrong way on a one way street, among other crazy things.

whitehse 07-30-2020 01:35 PM

My tale of woe.....

2 day priority flat rate box....

July 18, 2020, 11:38 am
Departed Post Office
DARIEN, WI 53114

July 22, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

July 29, 2020, 2:30 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
PALATINE IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

I had to call on the 28th to see what is happening with this card as it is a $500 card, Paypal is holding my funds until it is delivered and there was zero movement for ten days. And now we are back to waiting.

HercDriver 07-30-2020 05:20 PM

Mail

I'm an airline pilot, and I can tell you we're operating at about 25% capacity as far as flights go. Every time I do a walk around before a flight they are loading mail, always have been. The USPS doesn't have it's own planes, so they just use the space on passenger airlines, as it's available, or as they contract. Anyway, with the cut in flight schedules we're experiencing, I would expect it to hurt them as well. No data to back that up, other than the ol' eyeball.

Cheers,
Geno

Tiger Eye 07-30-2020 07:06 PM

My USPS story not baseball related

Recently( three weeks ago) ordered some fishing clothes from a vendor just outside of New Orleans. I live about 80 miles away in Baton Rouge. I got a tracking number from the vendor. Well the item went to the New Orleans airport the next day and flew to Miami, Fla. My items spent 5 days in Miami before getting on a plane to Baton Rouge. Took over 10 days to go 80 miles.

wdwfan 07-30-2020 09:05 PM

I'm currently waiting on 11 packages. That's right, 11. 4 of them haven't been scanned since July 20, another July 21. That's 10 days gone by without any movement. It wouldn't be so bad if they were low $$ cards. But one was a $300 purse and another was a $200 wallet. Another was an $80 Nintendo (I sold that one). So I'm really starting to get nervous. I know I'm going to be covered. I want to contact the seller and let them know, but I know it's not their fault and they should've be held responsible.

In fact, the Nintendo was mailed July 16 and hasn't moved sine the 19th. The buyer has contacted me and wants a refund. So I'm not sure I should refund with it still in transit (I have to answer the open request by tomorrow, so not sure how to answer).

I did take the #s up to the PO today to see if they could shed some light, and they said there's nothing they could do. He said things were slow right now because of the Covid and postal employees getting sick. He did say that if they haven't moved within the next week, then I should file a claim with the PO to get insurance involved.

cubman1941 07-31-2020 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdwfan (Post 2004492)
I'm currently waiting on 11 packages. That's right, 11. 4 of them haven't been scanned since July 20, another July 21. That's 10 days gone by without any movement. It wouldn't be so bad if they were low $$ cards. But one was a $300 purse and another was a $200 wallet. Another was an $80 Nintendo (I sold that one). So I'm really starting to get nervous. I know I'm going to be covered. I want to contact the seller and let them know, but I know it's not their fault and they should've be held responsible.

In fact, the Nintendo was mailed July 16 and hasn't moved sine the 19th. The buyer has contacted me and wants a refund. So I'm not sure I should refund with it still in transit (I have to answer the open request by tomorrow, so not sure how to answer).

I did take the #s up to the PO today to see if they could shed some light, and they said there's nothing they could do. He said things were slow right now because of the Covid and postal employees getting sick. He did say that if they haven't moved within the next week, then I should file a claim with the PO to get insurance involved.

I would not wait another week, I would file now as a CYA.
It probably not make a difference in movement but might make a difference in refunds.

MikeGarcia 07-31-2020 07:56 AM

The buyer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubman1941 (Post 2004537)
I would not wait another week, I would file now as a CYA.
It probably not make a difference in movement but might make a difference in refunds.

You may want to calm down your rightfully-anxious buyer by keeping him up to date on your talks with USPO .....not everyone realizes what is going on out in the real world....people who still play "Nintendo" generally don't read the newspapers all that much....

brewing 07-31-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewing (Post 2001145)
I did read somewhere that USPS has been experiencing holiday like mail since late March. They usually hire holiday help during the holidays, but didn't this summer. I expect some slowness.

I've had some items 1-2 days slow, but most arrive very timely. Did have a bubble mailer from Canada get stuck in Chicago for almost 3 weeks and a stamped envelope take 10 days GA to AR. Not bad for over 500 packages sent/received since March.

Everything has made it though.

Maybe I was a bit wrong earlier. First Class packages are now taking 5-10 days. I'm currently waiting for a Priority package the PO has had for 8 days and arrived in my city 3 days ago.

Still believe the USPS is lacking sufficient staffing levels to handle the workload. Hopefully the USPS can survive, I do not want to pay UPS/FedEx rates for shipping.

doug.goodman 07-31-2020 12:27 PM

Sorry to be the guy who isn't having any issues.

I actually received a box today that was tracking to arrive tomorrow...