Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ball player or just a citizen? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299878)

irv 04-05-2021 01:23 PM

Ball player or just a citizen?

1 Attachment(s)
I received this photo wrapped around my recent 52 Topps card purchase to protect them and although it is more than likely just some random person taken years ago I thought I had better ask first, just in case, before I throw it out?

I don't know photos and their age at all but this is, what I believe/can make out, etched/written into the lower right of the cardboard frame:
(The back is blank)

A. Plante
PHO
128 Rue ST Joseph
Quebec

jjp3rd 04-05-2021 01:35 PM

Great photo. Not sure if it’s a ball player, but even regular people on cabinet and CDV photos are going for $3-10 a piece, sometimes more. That’s a great bonus item!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigdaddy 04-05-2021 01:48 PM

He doesn't have the ears of a ballplayer.

irv 04-05-2021 02:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjp3rd (Post 2089867)
Great photo. Not sure if it’s a ball player, but even regular people on cabinet and CDV photos are going for $3-10 a piece, sometimes more. That’s a great bonus item!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.

Thanks John. :)

I just briefly read a bit about both types of photos here and based on that quick read, I'm assuming this is a cabinet due to its size? If I am reading these links right, this photo is likely mid/late 1800's?
Its a shame, now that I know this, thanks to you, that the seller used scotch tape to wrap it around my cards. Both front borders are now damaged as is a big section of the reverse where it went entirely across the back. It was faced down when I removed the tape so I had no idea there was a photo on the other side?:(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_de_visite
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_card

Measuring just the photo, not including the white border, this photo measures just over 3 3/4 long and 2 3/4 wide.
There are 2 other much smaller photos (one with French writing on the back) that were also used but the pics are so faded, it is almost impossible to make them out. I assume these might be CDV's? (below)

JollyElm 04-05-2021 02:07 PM

I believe it is undoubtedly South Carolina's own Joseph Jefferson Jackson. :rolleyes:

bgar3 04-05-2021 03:03 PM

I do not believe those would be cdvs, they are all cabinet photos, likely late 1800’s to early 1900’s based upon the mounts. If unknown people they would be very difficult to sell.
Interesting that the were used as protection however.

Casey2296 04-05-2021 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just sayin'...
-

bnorth 04-05-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2089913)
Just sayin'...
-

If the guy in the center got a straight right hand to the nose first he would look a lot closer to Ruth.:D

Casey2296 04-05-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2089924)
If the guy in the center got a straight right hand to the nose first he would look a lot closer to Ruth.:D

Hey, the guy lowered his ask on ebay to $995,000.00, must be waiting for the market to catch up.

JollyElm 04-05-2021 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Weird, by adjusting the contrast and whatnot, a name seems to appear...

Attachment 450703

:D

irv 04-05-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2089934)
Weird, by adjusting the contrast and whatnot, a name seems to appear...

Not sure how you did that, Darren, but that is pretty cool,,,, and scary at the same time! :eek:

JollyElm 04-05-2021 06:15 PM

Just trying to add a bit of entertainment to the site.

RCMcKenzie 04-05-2021 06:33 PM

A. Plante is the studio photographer in Quebec. My guess is early 1900's. Looks like the back talks about the person being a relative of someone's grandparents named Pepe and Sarah. I agree with the above poster, that unless you could track down a relative, it would be a tough sell. Still, an interesting thread. If JollyElm is correct, it could be the French Canadian, Jose' de' Chausse'.

frankbmd 04-05-2021 07:09 PM

As a random person I may have an unusual interest in my legacy and would hate to see all my photos discarded simply because I never played baseball after Little League. Speed was not my forte, but I was a good hitter. I needed to hit the outfield wall in order to reach first base safely. My crowning achievement though was hitting a ball through the outfield wall. I ended up at third before the left fielder hopped over the wall, retrieved the ball and returned it to the infield. I wouldn’t have made it to home anyway, because I had to catch my breath.

Please Irv, respect the random person.

irv 04-06-2021 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2090028)
As a random person I may have an unusual interest in my legacy and would hate to see all my photos discarded simply because I never played baseball after Little League. Speed was not my forte, but I was a good hitter. I needed to hit the outfield wall in order to reach first base safely. My crowning achievement though was hitting a ball through the outfield wall. I ended up at third before the left fielder hopped over the wall, retrieved the ball and returned it to the infield. I wouldn’t have made it to home anyway, because I had to catch my breath.

Sorry I offended you, Frank, and although I put citizen in my title, I should have carried that down to my post as that word would have been less offensive, less hurtful, less direct and pointed than just writing random person.

Although it was a mistake on my part, I hope you are able to get over my obvious ignorant, inconsiderate thinking and hope you can carry on like normal today? :D

Hankphenom 04-06-2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2089913)
Just sayin'...-

What in the world is the Babe's "Witch-E Baseball Game?" How about a full picture of that, Phil?

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-06-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2090028)

We might be related. I once (9 or 10 years old) hit a ball into the woods on a field with no fence. Left fielder ran out dug through the leaves for a couple minutes, found the ball, wiped the mud off threw it in and didn't quite get me at third.

frankbmd 04-06-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2090134)
Sorry I offended you, Frank, and although I put citizen in my title, I should have carried that down to my post as that word would have been less offensive, less hurtful, less direct and pointed than just writing random person.

Although it was a mistake on my part, I hope you are able to get over my obvious ignorant, inconsiderate thinking and hope you can carry on like normal today? :D

Dale,

There are far more random persons and citizens for that matter than there are ancient baseball players with analyzable ears. If you’re pictured female accomplice wants to act like an adult and move on or move in, please send her my way. Otherwise I may need to activate my Peterborough posse.:eek: