Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do people have confidence in Probstein on eBay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=284321)

jsfriedm 06-07-2020 11:16 AM

Do people have confidence in Probstein on eBay

Very new to online card buying and have been reading wildly varying opinions on this. What do people think?

swarmee 06-07-2020 11:45 AM

Pros:
Low consignment fees.
Trustworthy that you'll get the card you buy.
Genuinely honest, from what I hear. Not like scammers Brent at PWCC and Dave at Small Traditions.

Cons:
Easy to be shill bid by the consignor.
Writes really awful titles and descriptions.
Has almost no processes and procedures in place; people have mailed him cards and he's lost them with no idea what they were. Need a lot of blind trust it's going to work.

clydepepper 06-07-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfriedm (Post 1987974)
Very new to online card buying and have been reading wildly varying opinions on this. What do people think?

I will ALWAYS bad mouth probstein because he decided to block my bids 'because of how I treated a friend of his'. I inquired several times as to who I had offended, but he refused to elaborate. I have ALWAYS tried to treat all buyers and sellers with respect. I never leave negative feedback as it tends to end badly- with knee-jerk and disingenuous replies - I just move on...there are too many options.

If he ever shows some integrity and letting me know exactly who I offended, I would stop bad-mouthing him even if he kept me blocked...again- too many options.

todeen 06-07-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Buy on Net54. Most people here are honest, but there are always some bad apples. If you get a bad apple let Leon know. You won't pay taxes, and there are no buyers premiums. You will find more choices than you can imagine, especially in vintage. I have done 90% of my buying here over the last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

swarmee 06-07-2020 12:49 PM

I highly recommend COMC. 25 million cards for sale from thousands of different sellers, held in a warehouse outside Seattle. Buy the card, it goes in your account. You can ship now or ship later. You can even buy from their eBay auctions and pay on COMC's website and hold it there until you want to take delivery.

Huck 06-07-2020 01:01 PM

Purchased one card from Prob. Received the card I bid on. As for shilling, set your price and if the price goes over, move on. Prob does not have the shilling market cornered on ebay.

999Tony 06-07-2020 02:14 PM

Once a few years ago I emailed him to ask about a big poor lot. I said I couldn’t tell how poor the cards were because most were obscured and asking for description or better pictures..He did reply stating (I don’t remember exact words) I can see how that would be a problem. That was the full response.

I have bought several poor lots from him. Usually from a single out of focus picture and can’t zoom in. But he does describe the cards as poor so I’ve gotten what I bargained for. Just be aware that if he says poor they may be missing borders etc.

robw1959 06-07-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

I have bought vintage cards from him quite a few times over the years without any issues.

Rhotchkiss 06-07-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robw1959 (Post 1988034)
I have bought vintage cards from him quite a few times over the years without any issues.

+1

pokerplyr80 06-07-2020 03:42 PM

I have bought a few cards from him, but it's probably been a few years. I never had an issue and have no reason not to be comfortable buying from him or consigning a card to him.

toledo_mudhen 06-07-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robw1959 (Post 1988034)

+1

charlietheexterminator 06-07-2020 04:11 PM

I have bought from him many times, never an issue. He has sold for me and ppff me the funds the next day, can’t beat that.

swarmee 06-07-2020 04:33 PM

Should have added to the Cons above: has been known to take consignments from known trimmers. May or may not remove listing if it's been pointed out to him.

CMIZ5290 06-07-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Ladies and Gentlemen, yet another thread on Problemstein.....Last count was 1,157 and climbing.....Can we agree to move on from this guy and Brent Huigens?? We have been talking about these two since King Kong was a squirrel monkey...I would think by now that everything humanly possible is out there about these two incredible and ethical guys. Damn, where's the emoji for sarcasm???

mantlefan 06-07-2020 07:31 PM

aGREE

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1987982)
Pros:
Low consignment fees.
Trustworthy that you'll get the card you buy.
Genuinely honest, from what I hear. Not like scammers Brent at PWCC and Dave at Small Traditions.

Cons:
Easy to be shill bid by the consignor.
Writes really awful titles and descriptions.
Has almost no processes and procedures in place; people have mailed him cards and he's lost them with no idea what they were. Need a lot of blind trust it's going to work.

That's an accurate description of my experience as well.

Republicaninmass 06-07-2020 07:57 PM

People still bid and consign to PWCC, if that helps

sreader3 06-07-2020 08:08 PM

I bought many cards from Rick over the years (up to about 2017). I always had great service. The cards I bought were primarily T206s in the $100 - $2000 range, with a few modern thrown in. The cards I received were all PSA-graded and were unaltered as far as I could tell. I have no opinion on whether any of these auctions were shilled. I simply don't know. But I never placed a max bid higher than I was happy winning the auction for. So I was never disappointed.