Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looked Very Scary to me... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=138587)

Northviewcats 06-28-2011 09:49 AM

Looked Very Scary to me...

but did someone get a great buy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Jason 06-28-2011 09:57 AM

I saw that one a few hours ago when it had 1 bid.That heated up fast.If so it was a great pickup.

Brendan 06-28-2011 10:00 AM

Well, you're protected with PayPal. If you can afford to have 2k out in the world for a month if you don't receive it, then I'd definitely go for it.

barrysloate 06-28-2011 10:03 AM

The cards look very nice, but the zero feedback is a little scary.

edhans 06-28-2011 10:05 AM

Re: Looked Very Scary to me...

I passed on it as well. If the cards soak as they often do, it was a nice buy. I'm not sure how much protection PayPal will afford if they don't though.

Brendan 06-28-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edhans (Post 904423)
I passed on it as well. If the cards soak as they often do, it was a nice buy. I'm not sure how much protection PayPal will afford if they don't though.

PayPal covers it. I've become an expert on this matter over the years. :o

square5000 06-28-2011 10:08 AM

Underbidder

I was an underbidder by about $400. Found the auction at 30 minutes left, and bid impulsively.

Glad I was outbid as I've never soaked cards before, and I don't know jack about boxing cards.

Peter

JamesGallo 06-28-2011 10:15 AM

The cards are real and I think they will soak fine.

Ironically I had offered $2750 for this lot, long story but I guess the owner passed and put them on ebay as their first auction with bad pictures and no feedback. Bad move by them all around.

James G

Leon 06-28-2011 10:16 AM

really

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 904424)
PayPal covers it. I've become an expert on this matter over the years. :o

So paypal will cover you if you damage cards soaking them out? That sounds absurd to me.

JamesGallo 06-28-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 904431)
So paypal will cover you if you damage cards soaking them out? That sounds absurd to me.

That doesn't seem right but you never know. I sold a factory sealed 20 year toy the person bought is opened it, broke it and returned it. I lost, took back a piece worth less then half of what it sold for and lost the cash too.

In this case though I think you could prove they cards were otherwise altered if you took them all off. If you tried to take one off and it didnt' come clean you could likely return them without much problem.

Also in the auciton it says some were removed, if I recall the ONLY card that was not glued down was the Cicotte which was not removed 100% cleanly and had some back damage.

If the ower is on the boards I might be interesed in some of the boxing stuff.

James G

Northviewcats 06-28-2011 10:33 AM

real?

I was pretty sure the cards were authentic. I was more concerned about the zero feedback, the responses to the questions, and if I would ever see them.

Paypal would cover the purchase price, but I'm not sure they would in the case of fraud. When you file a claim they immediately freeze the funds of the seller, but if there is no money to be frozen the buyer may still be out of luck. I'm sure that they have insurance, but in the cases that I've been involved with it takes time. In any case you could be sitting on the side line for quite awhile.

Best regards,

Joe

Brendan 06-28-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 904431)

In all honesty, if you played your cards right and you did it within 45 days, haven't left positive feedback yet or paid with a credit card, you could get your money back, no matter how absurd that is.

Brendan 06-28-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northviewcats (Post 904437)
I was pretty sure the cards were authentic. I was more concerned about the zero feedback, the responses to the questions, and if I would ever see them.

Paypal would cover the purchase price, but I'm not sure they would in the case of fraud. When you file a claim they immediately freeze the funds of the seller, but if there is no money to be frozen the buyer may still be out of luck. I'm sure that they have insurance, but in the cases that I've been involved with it takes time. In any case you could be sitting on the side line for quite awhile.

Best regards,

Joe

It used to be that if there was no money in an account PayPal would just say tough luck. But nowadays, they'll get their money back anyway and PayPal and collections will just hound them for the money they're owed, unless the person used fake info.

If you use a credit card, then you don't even have to worry. I think if they aren't described right or you don't receive them, go ahead. But if you messed them up while soaking them? That's your own fault.

Leon 06-28-2011 10:53 AM

Brendan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 904443)
In all honesty, if you played your cards right and you did it within 45 days, haven't left positive feedback yet or paid with a credit card, you could get your money back, no matter how absurd that is.

Brendan- please remember our very recent discussions between us. It's not what we can get away with in life, it's about doing the right thing...always.
(I am not perfect but I try to do the right thing, always)

Brendan 06-28-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 904447)
Brendan- please remember our very recent discussions between us. It's not what we can get away with in life, it's about doing the right thing...always.
(I am not perfect but I try to do the right thing, always)

This is what was written in the post above. (an unedited post to say the least)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 904444)
If you use a credit card, then you don't even have to worry. I think if they aren't described right or you don't receive them, go ahead. But if you messed them up while soaking them? That's your own fault.

Leon 06-28-2011 12:37 PM

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 904449)
This is what was written in the post above. (an unedited post to say the least)

And given the totality of our situations I felt reiterating the point might not be a bad idea....all is good...