Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   REA Catalog (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=167473)

conor912 04-21-2013 01:31 AM

REA Catalog

Is it just me, or is this thing getting out of hand? Showed up today at a whopping 6 pounds. It seems like more than a tad overkill considering the photos online are almost always better and more detailed. It must cost them $20+ to print and ship each one.

iwantitiwinit 04-21-2013 05:01 AM

Is that a complaint? I don't understand, I love it.

Tcards-Please 04-21-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1120803)
Is that a complaint? I don't understand, I love it.

I don't understand either? If you don't want a catalog, either remove your name or don't ask for one.

I just shake my head when I see things like this. Let me ask for something, then complain about it.

Count me as one who prefers the catalog to online.

r/
Frank

e107collector 04-21-2013 06:20 AM

Rea

Me three!! I love getting the catalog. I don't care how big it is. REA provides it for free to any bidder. Why would you complain?

Just think about it, in a few more months, we'll be getting another one!!

Tony

terjung 04-21-2013 06:28 AM

The REA catalog is one of the few that I save. I also saved the Dreier-related catalogs from Legendary, though.

gnaz01 04-21-2013 06:30 AM

Same with me Brian, I save the Dreier catalogs because I bought a few items from it :D

4815162342 04-21-2013 07:30 AM

How could anyone complain about getting a free catalog? Six pounds is nothing. I smile like a new daddy every time it arrives on my doorstep. The first Net 54 member to receive it each year should start a new thread entitled "201x REA Catalog: 6 lbs x oz."

frankbmd 04-21-2013 07:46 AM

I'd much rather get a free REA Catalog than a free telephone book, any city, but might think twice about purchasing either. :D

AndyG09 04-21-2013 07:52 AM

Can't wait to get mine! Even smells good! :)

Best,

Andy

Texxxx 04-21-2013 07:56 AM

Hmm, Do you really think they are free!! I love the catalog, but the winners of the lots pay for them with the 18.5% buyers premium. I would rather not get the catalog and only pay 18% or what ever it cost to print them.

sycks22 04-21-2013 07:58 AM

That catalog is the highlight of the year. It almost takes a full year to read, then comes another one.

MVSNYC 04-21-2013 08:12 AM

I love the day the catalog arrives. I page thru it for hours...I also save them, have his catalogs going back to 1997.

Jay Wolt 04-21-2013 08:37 AM

I'm w/ Sarno!
Hope mine arrives Monday!

Runscott 04-21-2013 09:47 AM

Carried both Heritage and REA to the coffee shop yesterday, and pulled a back muscle.

Kind of like reading the newspaper - I do it every single morning and love that old familiar tactile experience. Can't imagine having to get all of my auction lot information from looking at a computer screen.

t206blogcom 04-21-2013 09:49 AM

Haven't received the REA one yet, but the most recent SCP catalog was two in one! No complaints of course. ;)

Jlighter 04-21-2013 09:55 AM

You know this country's pretty freakin' great if we have people complaining about a free auction catalog.:)

conor912 04-21-2013 10:08 AM

Slow your roll, people. I'm not complaining about getting the catalog. I love getting it as much as you do. But as someone who likes to actually put some thought into the resources he consumes, I think that a 3 page write up for a single card is excessive.

cfc1909 04-21-2013 10:21 AM

I usually save the catalogs that have my consignments in them, REA and some special ones like the Legenday e107 catalog.

There was a real cool one from Hunt with all the packs of cigarettes in it with a card to match.

I used to save every one and print the winning bid prices and file them but with everything saved on line there is no need for that anymore.

MVSNYC 04-21-2013 10:33 AM

Jim- I used to do the same (print out prices realized and save with each catalog), but as you said, it's all online now...I have several shelves on my bookcase filled with great catalogs, I try to only save the best of the best, every so often I'll edit thru them and recycle. They're great to look thru on a rainy day, or reference when doing research. I'm still a big fan of a well designed physical catalog. Presentation is everything.

Rob D. 04-21-2013 10:52 AM

I especially like reading the REA catalog while sitting in my idling SUV as I smoke a cigar and consume a large platter of red meat.

Matthew H 04-21-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1120895)
Slow your roll, people. I'm not complaining about getting the catalog. I love getting it as much as you do. But as someone who likes to actually put some thought into the resources he consumes, I think that a 3 page write up for a single card is excessive.

Toss it in the recycle bin... Problem solved.

That's what I do when I'm done with it.

Runscott 04-21-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1120924)
I especially like reading the REA catalog while sitting in my idling SUV as I smoke a cigar and consume a large platter of red meat.

I hope you wait until you put it in drive to open your bottle of whiskey and call your bookie.

HercDriver 04-21-2013 12:08 PM

Perfect spot

Put it in the bathroom for when you're having your quiet time...

Geno

HRBAKER 04-21-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1120924)

Rob,
That is the SUV where you removed the catalytic converter, right?

CMIZ5290 04-21-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HercDriver (Post 1120951)
Put it in the bathroom for when you're having your quiet time...

Geno

+1! These catalogs continue to amaze me, the costs that these guys must be paying! Having said that, it's still great reading with your so called "down time"

calvindog 04-21-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1121070)
+1! These catalogs continue to amaze me, the costs that these guys must be paying! Having said that, it's still great reading with your so called "down time"

Costs that WHO are paying? :)

But in fairness, Rob is incredibly solicitous and fair and the quickest with shipping lots.

CMIZ5290 04-21-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1121094)
Costs that WHO are paying? :)

But in fairness, Rob is incredibly solicitous and fair and the quickest with shipping lots.

Good point Jeff, I just think he does a fantastic job. Maybe it's just me....

Rob D. 04-21-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1120954)
Rob,
That is the SUV where you removed the catalytic converter, right?

That and the muffler. I'm a proponent of noise pollution, too.

brob28 04-21-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1120797)
Is it just me, or is this thing getting out of hand? Showed up today at a whopping 6 pounds. It seems like more than a tad overkill considering the photos online are almost always better and more detailed. It must cost them $20+ to print and ship each one.

Bring it on, all 6 pounds of it!

mcadams 04-22-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1120895)

Don't put too much thought into how many catalogs your consume. The paper is made from trees, which grow back in a few years.

Pay attention to the plastic that you consumer because it itsn't easily bio-degradable and plastic fills up the nation's garbage dumps. But consuming paper and paper products is about as enviro-friendly as it gets. Heck, if you put a catalog in your backyard, it would be completely broken down by the sun/rain within 3 months.

Just my .02,
Pine Tree Farmer.

g_vezina_c55 04-22-2013 08:26 AM

impatient to receive my catalog !

E93 04-22-2013 08:33 AM

I love it. I save it. I always find items in the print catalog that I miss online.

It is also an incredible resource for learning about a variety hobby-related stuff. The research and knowledge that goes into in phenomenal.
JimB

BengoughingForAwhile 04-22-2013 09:20 AM

After a long, sleepless night our new REA baby arrived this morning on the front doorstep weighing in at a healthy 6 pounds. Both proud father and new arrival are doing well today.:D

Runscott 04-22-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcadams (Post 1121353)
Don't put too much thought into how many catalogs your consume. The paper is made from trees, which grow back in a few years.

Pay attention to the plastic that you consumer because it itsn't easily bio-degradable and plastic fills up the nation's garbage dumps. But consuming paper and paper products is about as enviro-friendly as it gets. Heck, if you put a catalog in your backyard, it would be completely broken down by the sun/rain within 3 months.

Just my .02,
Pine Tree Farmer.

Yeah, I always get a kick out of the tree comments. If you want to complain about waste, go after the fuel used to create things...any things.

It's also tricky to complain about the cost of creating these catalogs being passed on to the customers. Advertising is typically thought of as something that increases sales, and increased sales can mean lower costs to customers. But I'll never win that argument with this crowd, as everything's about the AH's screwing the world, right? :)

BruceWayne 04-22-2013 10:24 AM

Observation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1121449)
Yeah, I always get a kick out of the tree comments.

And that is pretty significant coming from someone named 'Forrest' :)

Christopher Cavalier
Consignment Director - Goldin Auctions
Founder - Game Used Universe

Leon 04-22-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceWayne (Post 1121459)
And that is pretty significant coming from someone named 'Forrest' :)

Christopher Cavalier
Consignment Director - Goldin Auctions
Founder - Game Used Universe

And there has to be some irony on a person commenting on a name that goes by the alias of Batman? :rolleyes:

Runscott 04-22-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1121461)
And there has to be some irony on a person commenting on a name that goes by the alias of Batman? :rolleyes:

There has to be something I can say based on your last name, but it eludes me.

BruceWayne 04-22-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1121461)

That's pretty funny. You are quite a 'Joker' :p

sbfinley 04-22-2013 02:01 PM

My neighbors often ask me why I leave our Christmas decorations up until May. I simply point my just arrived REA catalog and shake my head in disappointment. Some people just don't get it. :cool:

autograf 04-22-2013 02:10 PM

There's a fair amount of Jet-A and Diesel fuel required to move these mammoth's around the U.S. And I'm darn glad as a COLLECTOR and 28 year UPS employee that they still print 'em..............

ElCabron 04-22-2013 04:32 PM

I doubt you'll hear any consignors complain about how excessive the write-ups are.

-Ryan

rhettyeakley 04-23-2013 04:06 PM

This has nothing to do with what any of you were talking about but I brought my REA catalog to work today to look through between patients and during lunch. (For those that don't know, I am a dentist and work in an office inhabited only by females) I got back from lunch today and all the girls in the office were giggling and laughing at me. I took one aside and asked what was so funny, she just smiled and told me to look on my desk. It hadn't dawned on me that the catalog had Bruce's Boston Garter uncut strip on the cover. Needless to say they had seen the catalog on my desk and all thought it was the strangest (homoerotic) thing they had ever seen, not quite what they were used to seeing in my office. :)

Matthew H 04-23-2013 04:09 PM

Nice Rhett :D

My thoughts on the catalog... It's officially too big to read on the can. I tried, it didn't work for me.

GaryPassamonte 04-23-2013 04:20 PM

No catalog yet in western New York.

markf31 04-23-2013 05:08 PM

Still waiting on mine as well, patience is a virtue I suppose

Leon 04-23-2013 06:12 PM

Got mine in Texas yesterday. It made a big bang on our porch when it was dropped off. I almost took cover!!

cubsguy1969 04-23-2013 06:22 PM

Haven't gotten mine yet either here on Long Island. Consigned something for the very first time, so pretty excited. Rushed home from work the past two days to see it and it wasn't here. Argh!

ullmandds 04-23-2013 06:25 PM

nothing here in mn yet...hopefully tomorrow...although to be quite honest...these monstrosities are difficult to handle...no good for the bath tub...or toilet unless you have a custom set up?!

conor912 04-23-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 1122382)
This has nothing to do with what any of you were talking about but I brought my REA catalog to work today to look through between patients and during lunch. (For those that don't know, I am a dentist and work in an office inhabited only by females) I got back from lunch today and all the girls in the office were giggling and laughing at me. I took one aside and asked what was so funny, she just smiled and told me to look on my desk. It hadn't dawned on me that the catalog had Bruce's Boston Garter uncut strip on the cover. Needless to say they had seen the catalog on my desk and all thought it was the strangest (homoerotic) thing they had ever seen, not quite what they were used to seeing in my office. :)

Hahaha. My wife thought the same thing. She asked "Why do you have a book with pictures of guys stripping down to knickers and garters? And why are you taking it into the bathroom , no less?"

gnaz01 04-23-2013 06:58 PM

Nothing in South Florida yet, maybe tomorrow