Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Question for vintage Parkhurst experts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=313116)

Brian B@rry 01-04-2022 05:39 PM

Question for vintage Parkhurst experts

Hi -

I have begun collecting Parkhurst hockey from 1952-55. Why do so many of these cards exhibit “foxing” - a brownish discoloration, usually on the borders?

I rarely notice it in Topps baseball from the same era.

Is it because of the paper stock? Canadian winters?

Any explanation would be appreciated!

. . . And then there are tape stains . . .

Thank you!

slightlyrounded 01-04-2022 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I assume its the recycled paper stock used in production, with less bleach in the slurry.

As for the tape....I guess its a good way to know you've got an authentic one, lol. Since every thread needs a card, here's one I'd prefer without the added 'gum':

Brian B@rry 01-07-2022 01:22 PM

Thank you Aaron

Thank you Aaron for your reply. Makes sense.

Do you know for sure that Parkhurst used recycled paper? What is your source for that?

I'm not surprised they'd use recycled stock, although it never occurred to me. The first few Parkhurst issues seem to have been put together with little regard for quality control and a lot of regard for cutting costs. Cheap paper stock, poor registration, and abysmal art work are exhibited all the time.

But I like 'em anyway . . .

Chuck9788 01-07-2022 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slightlyrounded (Post 2182174)
Since every thread needs a card, here's one :

Neat card!

Arguably my Parkhurst favorite, the 1952 Terry Sawchuk.

Reasons I praise this card? The fans behind the cage, a very young Terry (pre stitched up face) and the mention on the back of his experience with the "Windsor Spitfires" just to name a few.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SX425_.jpg

samosa4u 03-08-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian B@rry (Post 2182113)
Hi -

I have begun collecting Parkhurst hockey from 1952-55. Why do so many of these cards exhibit “foxing” - a brownish discoloration, usually on the borders?

I rarely notice it in Topps baseball from the same era.

Is it because of the paper stock? Canadian winters?

Any explanation would be appreciated!

. . . And then there are tape stains . . .

Thank you!

When these cards were first issued to the public, they were WHITE (like Matt Damon's teeth!) However, over the decades, some of them started suffering from what is known as "oxidation." Cheap paper stock has higher acid content and it starts to break down over the decades. Of course, you can slow this process down depending on how you store them.

Brian B@rry 03-09-2022 03:07 PM

Follow-up Question

Thanks for the reply. Follow-up question: Do this oxidation continue at all once a card is graded and slabbed? Or does slabbing seal the card and prevent subsequent browning?

In other words, might a slabbed card that was white when graded turn brown over the years inside the slab?

Thanks!

Brian

samosa4u 03-09-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian B@rry (Post 2204045)
Thanks for the reply. Follow-up question: Do this oxidation continue at all once a card is graded and slabbed? Or does slabbing seal the card and prevent subsequent browning?

In other words, might a slabbed card that was white when graded turn brown over the years inside the slab?

Thanks!

Brian

A coffin can't stop a corpse from rotting, right? :D In a few hundred years from now, a PSA 8 Goudey Babe Ruth card probably won't be very nice to look at.

edogg 04-26-2022 10:07 AM

I think -- and someone correct me if I'm wrong -- Parkhurst had card albums that kids could use to keep their collections. Of course with the technology at use in those days it meant taping the cards into the album. That's why so many of the Parkies have tape stains where it is much rarer that you see tape on 50s vintage baseball cards.

I only recently got into 50s hockey and I love the Parkies, especially starting in 53-54. In fact just a few months ago I started a project to get all of the "In Action" cards. So cool. I especially love the ones where you can see some of the crowd in the background. All men wearing the same hats, glasses and coats. Neat stuff. And plus, the 54-55 action shots include a few with Jacques Plante from before his 55-56 rookie card. There us also a great 54 action card of HOF Leafs goalie Harry Lumley stopping a young Gordie Howe. Affordable despite it being almost 70 years old and one of Mr. Hockey's first cards.