Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A New Rule concerning PM's- Poll (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=155252)

Leon 08-13-2012 08:19 AM

A New Rule concerning PM's- Poll

There is going to be a new, written rule instituted in our rules section that covers posting PM's publicly. It is going to be against the rules to post PM's going forward. I don't see the difference between a PM and a private email (which are not allowed to be posted). I will go ahead and take a poll to get a pulse but I can't see why we should let them be posted. We say to take spats to private emails and they can't be posted. This seems to be the same type of thing....regards

terjung 08-13-2012 08:23 AM

So you are allowed to quote something that somebody said to you, but not what they wrote to you? Not quite sure I understand the rationale, but I guess I'm of the opinion that I don't have to read threads that degenerate into arguments.

CobbSpikedMe 08-13-2012 08:31 AM

I see PM's as just that - Private Messages. If there is an issue that someone has with a PM they got from another member it should be handled off the public board with Leon's assistance. The board shouldn't be brought into it if it is a private issue. Just my opinion.

Thanks.

AndyH

Jlighter 08-13-2012 08:34 AM

What I've a pm has something incendiary, threatening or derogatory?

batsballsbases 08-13-2012 08:38 AM

PMs

Ah post them! Everyone loves a good cat fight on Net54. Im just sayin!;);)

Leon 08-13-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlighter (Post 1025454)

Then it should be sent to me and I will address it. That is my initial thought.

rp12367 08-13-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlighter (Post 1025454)

Take it to Leon and he will take action against member if nessacary, was always my understanding.

rp12367 08-13-2012 08:41 AM

Sorry I was typing when Leon answered.

Leon 08-13-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terjung (Post 1025452)
So you are allowed to quote something that somebody said to you, but not what they wrote to you? Not quite sure I understand the rationale, but I guess I'm of the opinion that I don't have to read threads that degenerate into arguments.

Brian- is it really that difficult to understand what was sent is "private?" I don't think I am following your logic.

Of course there won't be any rule against saying what someone said to you verbally but then whoever is saying that does have to have their name by it and is liable for what they are quoting. I think the board is going to agree with this rule per the voting. We shall see....

Jlighter 08-13-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1025456)
Then it should be sent to me and I will address it. That is my initial thought.

Fair enough.

E93 08-13-2012 08:53 AM

I say keep it private. IMHO the personal attacks and fighting on the board just harm the board anyway and drive people away. It keeps people from posting on even the benign threads out of fear of what it will become. I think there is way too much personal stuff and fighting already and any attempt to scale it back is a good thing for the community. I have heard so many really knowledgeable and level-headed people who could make a great contribution here tell me that it is just not worth it for these reasons.

That said, though I would presume privacy, I would not write anything in an email or PM that I would not be comfortable with others seeing. People just don't respect privacy anymore.
JimB

Jlighter 08-13-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 1025462)
I say keep it private. IMHO the personal attacks and fighting on the board just harm the board anyway and drive people away. It keeps people from posting on even the benign threads out of fear of what it will become. I think there is way too much personal stuff and fighting already and any attempt to scale it back is a good thing for the community. I have heard so many really knowledgeable and level-headed people who could make a great contribution here tell me that it is just not worth it for these reasons.

That said, though I would presume privacy, I would not write anything in an email or PM that I would not be comfortable with others seeing. People just don't respect privacy anymore.
JimB

I disagree in a certain respect for the personal arguments. Some arguments are needed, ones that bring attention to certain issues in our beloved hobby. Even the personal attacks sometimes are like a train wreck, hard to watch, but you can't turn away.

CW 08-13-2012 09:10 AM

Voted no, they should not be posted.

If something crosses the line it should be forwarded to the moderator.

jefferyepayne 08-13-2012 09:12 AM

I was taught a long time ago that you NEVER write something and send it to someone that you don't want the entire world to see. As Mr. Goldin has found out, this applies to appearances on TV as well ;-)

I think if the Net54 rule has always been that emails are private, then PMs should be private as well. However, I don't particularly like this decision / thread being spawned because of a likely complaint by a Net54 advertiser. At least the perception of this is that the tail is wagging the dog which doesn't sit well with me.

jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 1025462)

JimB

kkkkandp 08-13-2012 09:17 AM

I Voted No

They call them private messages for a reason.

DJR 08-13-2012 09:17 AM

E93 08-13-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlighter (Post 1025465)
I disagree in a certain respect for the personal arguments. Some arguments are needed, ones that bring attention to certain issues in our beloved hobby. Even the personal attacks sometimes are like a train wreck, hard to watch, but you can't turn away.

Personal arguments don't help the hobby, other than letting the rest of us know who the a$$#oles are by the way they present themselves. I'm not saying stop shedding light on fraud or other unethical activity in the hobby. I'm saying leave the petty personal stuff, the immature stuff, and the unsubstantiated claims out.
JimB

Peter_Spaeth 08-13-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1025467)
I was taught a long time ago that you NEVER write something and send it to someone that you don't want the entire world to see. As Mr. Goldin has found out, this applies to appearances on TV as well ;-)

I think if the Net54 rule has always been that emails are private, then PMs should be private as well. However, I don't particularly like this decision / thread being spawned because of a likely complaint by a Net54 advertiser. At least the perception of this is that the tail is wagging the dog which doesn't sit well with me.

jeff

i can personally attest that this came up this morning in a conversation between me and Leon after I had asked him what the rule was; it was definitely not the result of Leon giving in to pressure from an advertiser.

Leon 08-13-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1025467)

jeff

This thread was in fact spawned by the Goldin thread but not for ONLY this thread. That being said this rule probably should have been implemented the same day the "no posting of emails" rule was put in place. Hobby changes and board changes are evolutionary imho. As far as not liking something....join the crowd :).

And more than anything Peter is correct and I will allow him to post our emails if he wants to, to prove it.... it was definitely our emails more than the exact thread that warranted this new thread/rule......

Leon 08-13-2012 09:33 AM

the memorabilia side too

This was posted on the main forum, card side, but I want everyone here to see it too. I copied this and have never copied a Poll before....so we will have to see how this works out. :confused:

thetruthisoutthere 08-13-2012 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Although I voted that PMs should be kept "Private," in one instance I was happy that TyrusRCobb posted a PM he received from another Net54 member in reference to me.

Attachment 71421

Runscott 08-13-2012 10:55 AM

I agree about not posting PM's. When it gets to a point that I feel I need to post something that was intended to be private, then it means my efforts to diffuse the situation have failed and I need to just ignore the person. So far this has worked well, but I understand that everyone is different.

On other forums I've seen the posting of PM's, chat logs, emails turn forums into a pathetic battleground. In two cases I've seen (or heard of) HOBBYISTS from such battles actually meet in person, and the result was time in jail. Everyone would agree that the thrill of expressing your anger to someone who you have no respect for is certainly not worth going to jail. Is it even worth the angst that you end up feeling for a moment, or hours, or days?

The crap going on in real life, is enough crap.

RichardSimon 08-13-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1025499)
Although I voted that PMs should be kept "Private," in one instance I was happy that TyrusRCobb posted a PM he received from another Net54 member in reference to me.

Attachment 71421

Who could possibly have sent that PM to Tyrus about Chris?
Jerry Lewis?

David Atkatz 08-13-2012 01:03 PM

Eddie Murphy.

Deertick 08-13-2012 03:01 PM

Can PMs be PM'd?