Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Settle a debate involving "Keyword Spamming" on Ebay auctions! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294113)

bobbyw8469 12-31-2020 07:08 AM

Settle a debate involving "Keyword Spamming" on Ebay auctions!

I am in a FB group for SGC cards. I am getting into a heated discussion about "keyword spamming". They are a little discouraged that SGC cards aren't getting the prices their PSA counterparts are. They are saying that it is OK to put "PSA" into the auction title of an SGC card. To me, that sounds crazy. I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but what is everyone's opinion on "keyword spamming"??

swarmee 12-31-2020 07:17 AM

Not sure what the vote is supposed to accomplish. Immoral people will remain immoral.

bobbyw8469 12-31-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2051344)
Not sure what the vote is supposed to accomplish. Immoral people will remain immoral.

It was just a vote to see what everyone thought of the situation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mike D. 12-31-2020 07:32 AM

I for one find it annoying to see “not PSA” show up in my PSA searches.

bobbyw8469 12-31-2020 07:44 AM

I understand their frustration when an SGC 10 sells for 1/3 of a PSA 10. However, if I am selling a Toyota, I don't put "Mercedes" in the auction title!! You want PSA prices?? Submit to PSA!! It really is that simple.

Jim65 12-31-2020 07:46 AM

Keyword spamming is against Ebay's Search Manipulation rules, its not really a matter of opinion.

bobbyw8469 12-31-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2051361)
Keyword spamming is against Ebay's Search Manipulation rules, its not really a matter of opinion.

That was my argument in the group. It was an SGC group though, so I was quickly made to be the "bad guy" however for pointing that out.

BCauley 12-31-2020 08:01 AM

Though it's really a minor issue, it's an annoying one. I typically do a search for the years/sets I'm collecting and then will filter down to the grading company of my choice. I just shake my head when after doing that, I still see listings with other cards/grading companies listed in the title.

On another thought, I almost wonder if these sellers could easily open themselves up for a scam where the buyer gets the item and gives the old item not as described and ships back something else instead.

I follow some FB sportscard and thrifting groups and have seen some things similar. One guy put "PSA 10?" in the title of a modern raw card and had the issue above happen. On a thrifting board, someone sold an item of jewelry but their pic of the item had a plant behind it for staging purposes. The buyer complained that they didn't get the plant and filed an INAD, sending back something other than the jewelry they won.

pwang100 12-31-2020 08:15 AM

I HATE the practice of " keyword spamming". Not only on Ebay, but Craigslist, etc.
As a matter of principle, I won't buy something off an ad that spams

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jim65 12-31-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCauley (Post 2051369)
Though it's really a minor issue, it's an annoying one. I typically do a search for the years/sets I'm collecting and then will filter down to the grading company of my choice. I just shake my head when after doing that, I still see listings with other cards/grading companies listed in the title.

On another thought, I almost wonder if these sellers could easily open themselves up for a scam where the buyer gets the item and gives the old item not as described and ships back something else instead.

I follow some FB sportscard and thrifting groups and have seen some things similar. One guy put "PSA 10?" in the title of a modern raw card and had the issue above happen. On a thrifting board, someone sold an item of jewelry but their pic of the item had a plant behind it for staging purposes. The buyer complained that they didn't get the plant and filed an INAD, sending back something other than the jewelry they won.

That reminds of the seller who listed "Large Picture Big Screen TV" or something like that and sent buyers a photo of a TV, I believe he ended up going to prison.

bobbyw8469 12-31-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2051376)
That reminds of the seller who listed "Large Picture Big Screen TV" or something like that and sent buyers a photo of a TV, I believe he ended up going to prison.

I know something similar happened on Judge Judy. The defendant was laughing and smirking at how she "got over" on the plaintiff. Judge Judy was not amused and threw the book at her.

pokerplyr80 12-31-2020 08:32 AM

I've never understood why so many people use the phrase "I could care less." If you could care less, that means you do care. But if you couldn't care less, you don't care at all.

bobbyw8469 12-31-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 2051380)
I've never understood why so many people use the phrase "I could care less." If you could care less, that means you do care. But if you couldn't care less, you don't care at all.

It's just talk. It basically means "Either or is fine with me. I'm not appalled by it nor do I condone it. I am neutral."

Sorry...I am from the south, and I guess I need to not use flippant phrases like that.

BCauley 12-31-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2051376)

I recently saw someone doing something similiar with a PS5 on FB marketplace. They were selling the box but not the actual PS5 system. I always remember the Judge Judy episode where a seller listed a camera for sale but it was actually just a picture of the camera she sent. Needless to say, the seller lost.

Shoeless Moe 12-31-2020 08:56 AM

Oops, there goes the shutout

forceplay sport 12-31-2020 09:00 AM

in my opinion its almost fraud, the item should be listed for what it is and thats all.

Eric72 12-31-2020 09:23 AM

I'm indifferent whereas it concerns PSA/SGC/Beckett. Since I personally buy cards in any of those holders, my saved searches are set up like this:
Mantle + (psa,sgc,bvg)

The "keyword spamming" that annoys me is when someone has an ungraded card with "PSA ?" in the title.

Leon 12-31-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCauley (Post 2051384)
I recently saw someone doing something similiar with a PS5 on FB marketplace. They were selling the box but not the actual PS5 system. I always remember the Judge Judy episode where a seller listed a camera for sale but it was actually just a picture of the camera she sent. Needless to say, the seller lost.

I have seen that episode twice. It was great. Judge Judy called them morons, scammers and everything else.

And as far as the shutout of it being ok to do. there is always at least one malcontent.

every thread needs a.....

http://luckeycards.com/m116johnson.jpg

todeen 12-31-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2051351)
I for one find it annoying to see “not PSA” show up in my PSA searches.

I find it annoying to find NOT AUTO when I search and sift for Autographs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Shoeless Moe 12-31-2020 09:42 AM

So everyone who said it is NOT ok, all buy the holder and not the card itself?

Interesting.

If the seller puts comparable to PSA (1,2,3,etc.) or PSA population #, I see nothing wrong.

It actually gets more eyes on the card, and that's what a seller wants.

Throttlesteer 12-31-2020 09:44 AM

I guess I have a slightly different perspective. I generally do hate the spamming stuff. But, SGC decided to use a different grading system for years and their 100-point system didn't translate well to search results. An SGC 10 could pop up if someone was looking for PSA 10. As we know, SGC 10 now can mean two totally different things on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'm less upset if someone is trying to establish the equivalent grade of an SGC holder, simply because it doesn't get visibility due to the different scales. It's very different than including "PSA?" or dropping a bunch of additional TPGs in the title.

At the end of the day, people are just trying to sell their stuff. There are a lot of new, less-experienced eyeballs seeking out cards on Ebay. I'm more annoyed by "Invest!" or "Ebay 1/1" than SCC 98 = PSA 10. I will also add, I'm surprised at all of the folks who are anti-PSA but don't want SGC cards to pop up in a search for PSA. If you want other TPGs to be successful, wouldn't you want to make more new collectors aware of other options besides PSA?

Edwolf1963 12-31-2020 09:53 AM

Spamming

I’m seeing more and more sellers either list their cards as PSA, SGC, BVG numerically graded and they are not .. or just putting a numerical grade on themselves. Deans and STARX have been doing that all along which has zero credibility w/me but I guess in the bigger picture it’s not much different than anyone listing their cards as EX, EX/MT, etc.

Some of this stuff, obviously, is purposely meant to deceive. This clown below keeps listing his SGC graded cards as a grade higher on PSA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Topps-...0AAOSw-ktfqyRq

Mike D. 12-31-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2051407)

Or “PSA???” On a raw card. It’s like “Yes...ANY raw can can be sent to PSA”.

I did have eBay pull one of my listings because the card was a “no signature variation” and I listed as such.

So, they “try”, but clearly don’t know cards.

jiw98 12-31-2020 10:33 AM

"keyword spamming" of any kind drives me crazy. When I do a search for a certain card or product, I don't want to sift through all the unwanted junk just to find what I was looking for to begin with.
Ebay just sent me a survey to fill out, and I let them know how I feel about the "keyword spamming". I'm sure there will big changes at Ebay when they read my survey!:rolleyes:

icollectDCsports 12-31-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2051407)

Or "not" game used. Not much you can do about it. With the amazing availability of items comes such annoyances.

earlywynnfan 12-31-2020 11:01 AM

I search for "WWII baseball." Every day I have to ignore some card from 5 years ago because it's listed as "post WWII baseball." Very annoying.

drcy 12-31-2020 11:07 AM

I think "Reprint" should be required to be in the title of all reprints (/fakes/counterfeits).

Eric72 12-31-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 2051445)
I search for "WWII baseball." Every day I have to ignore some card from 5 years ago because it's listed as "post WWII baseball." Very annoying.

If you ever really want to waste time, try searching "T206" on eBay and look for raw cards.

No matter how many filters I apply, the reprints and Topps 206 seem to dominate the search results.

bobbyw8469 12-31-2020 11:18 AM

The results are sort of how I anticipated them to be.

Tyruscobb 12-31-2020 11:38 AM

I typically don't limit my searches on cites to any particular grader. I just enter the year, player, and card manufacturer.

I want to see all the active listings - raw and graded, as well as from all graders. It doesn't bother me that a listing will say, "1933 John Doe ABC 5; Not XYZ or WXY."

Sure, I have a grading preference, but am always willing to buy cards from my non-preferred grading companies if the price is right. So, my bottom line is no big deal.

frankbmd 12-31-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2051344)

Has any Net54 poll accomplished anything?

bobbyw8469 12-31-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2051463)

I didn't know it specifically had to??? i just thought it would be fun to do a poll. We don't need any poll watchers or Dominion voting machines for it either. Geez.

todeen 12-31-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2051463)

I'm glad you posted. I know when I see your avatar that we're in for some wisdom. Today's treat: the Socratic method.

perezfan 12-31-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

This.

I probably would have picked option #3, but wanted to state that I could NOT care less. The way it was worded was the opposite of what I believe was intended.

Anyway, I shop only for the card itself, and not for the slab. So as long as the card is properly titled, I couldn't care less which TPGs are name-dropped.

doug.goodman 12-31-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

i've never understood why so many people use the phrase "i could care less." if you could care less, that means you do care. But if you couldn't care less, you don't care at all.

Thank you!!!!!!!

JollyElm 12-31-2020 01:40 PM

Keyword spamming is blatant douchebaggery.

I can't wait to see a seller break new ground and start employing a double negative to get their graded Mick a boatload of confused views...
FS: 1965 Topps Mickey Mantle - Not Not PSA!!!!!

Rhotchkiss 01-03-2021 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If this guy - pracc34610 - is on net54, I think you are a dipshit. There is nothing PSA, nothing “5”, and nothing that would make this card worth a fraction of the asking price.

Ryan Hotchkiss

sando69 01-03-2021 02:04 PM

Ryan- Your Post Made Me Laugh Out Loud!

A disheveled june cleaver one morning at breakfast-
"ward, weren't you a little rough on the beaver last night?"

what i find ultimately intriguing is that in less than an hour of you posting, prac34610 seems to have completely disappeared from ebay. ;)

Rhotchkiss 01-03-2021 02:10 PM

No, he/she is still there. I just misspelled the absurd username- it’s “pracc”. I initially spelled it with only one “c”. I edited my original post.

But regardless of how you spell (or misspell) the username, there is much more wrong with that listing than just gratuitously using “psa” in the title.

sando69 01-03-2021 02:30 PM

Ryan-

thank you for the clarification.
i was beginning to wonder if you weren't net54's resident, um... "hitman!"
and, i totally agree with you about their listing.
also, i'm pretty sure the june cleaver story is real. :D

Casey2296 01-03-2021 02:55 PM

Maybe when the seller says "RARE SHARP!", they are referring to the deftly trimmed corners.

thecatspajamas 01-03-2021 10:00 PM

I haven't delved to deeply into it, but in addition to being against policy, supposedly keyword spamming actually works against your search ranking on eBay. Something to the effect of the more impressions your item gets without a click-thorough or sale, the lower it sinks in Best Match search ranking. eBay tends to promote listings that have a higher likelihood of selling, and bury (or not show at all) stale listings that have lots of views but no turnover.

Jim65 01-04-2021 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 2052513)
I haven't delved to deeply into it, but in addition to being against policy, supposedly keyword spamming actually works against your search ranking on eBay. Something to the effect of the more impressions your item gets without a click-thorough or sale, the lower it sinks in Best Match search ranking. eBay tends to promote listings that have a higher likelihood of selling, and bury (or not show at all) stale listings that have lots of views but no turnover.

You're correct that many views without a sale will hurt your search ranking, works the same with watchers as well.

Seller promote their own listings. Just in case anyone doesn't know, sellers bid a percentage to have their listings towards the top of searches. I promote all my listings at 1% and the extra views help make more sales.

bobbyw8469 01-04-2021 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2052551)
You're correct that many views without a sale will hurt your search ranking, works the same with watchers as well.

Seller promote their own listings. Just in case anyone doesn't know, sellers bid a percentage to have their listings towards the top of searches. I promote all my listings at 1% and the extra views help make more sales.

I used to do 1% as well, but I was paying extra money and got zero results. If someone outbids you and offers up a bigger percentage, yours doesn't get any exposure and you still have to pay the extra fee for nothing. Not worth it IMHO.

rsdill2 01-04-2021 06:59 AM

EBay keyword spamming bothers the heck out of me. And what bothers me even more is that ebay doesn't do a darn thing about it. Look at this clown. He's been clogging up my saved searches for months with erroneous years and card numbers in the title that are obviously not the item for sale. I've reported his listings no less than a dozen times for keyword spamming and yet it continues.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fsr...sasl=mintsquad

Jim65 01-04-2021 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2052561)
I used to do 1% as well, but I was paying extra money and got zero results. If someone outbids you and offers up a bigger percentage, yours doesn't get any exposure and you still have to pay the extra fee for nothing. Not worth it IMHO.

You only pay the extra if the item sells through the promoted listing. You still have the regular listing as well, if item sells that way, you don't pay the extra. If you paid the extra then your item sold though the promote listing.

If you promote and someones bid is higher, theirs just shows up more times than yours for example, theirs comes up 3 out of every 10 searches and yours shows up 1 out of every 10 searches, etc. Your listing does not go to zero exposure.

My 1% bids increased my sales at least 10%.

bobbyw8469 01-05-2021 02:27 PM

Looks like common sense wins. Someone should tag that SGC Facebook group with the results!

BRoberts 01-05-2021 02:33 PM

Great job Bobby!!!!