Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FS set of 1910 Norville Shapleigh catalog ads (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328254)

drumback 11-29-2022 01:41 PM

FS set of 1910 Norville Shapleigh catalog ads

6 Attachment(s)
Large format set of Norville Shapleigh catalog ads, from their 1910 catalog. Included are all six ads from the catalog, in excellent condition. The full catalog itself sells for hundreds of dollars to catalog collectors. I am offering the ads ONLY. They measure 12 x 9.5. The descriptions of the gloves and how they are made are quite interesting.

PLEASE NOTE: The six ads are on four sheets. The Pickering ad has Ganley on the reverse. The Stephens ad has Spencer on the reverse. Thus, although there are six ads, one would only be able to display four at a time.

$175 for the set. SOLD

doug.goodman 11-29-2022 06:04 PM

Email sent

Scott Garner 11-29-2022 06:14 PM

Good ones, Doug! Right up your ally ;)

doug.goodman 12-01-2022 02:15 AM

Thanks Scott (and Mark) they are exactly the kind of stuff I like, and things that I have never seen before always interest me even more.

perezfan 12-01-2022 02:04 PM

Nice score Doug. That Duckweb (Niles) Ad is outrageously cool.

Perhaps a dumb question....

Did those player images actually appear on the gloves themselves? I've collected vintage gloves for 3 decades, and have never come across a single example. I suppose the player images could have worn off with wear and the passage of time. But you'd think that a few examples with remnants of the player's image would surface.

So perhaps these player portraits were just an advertising ploy to heighten interest in their gloves? Hoping there's an advanced glove collector here who knows the answer.

WillowGrove 12-01-2022 07:37 PM

Nice Doug!

And I have the same question as PerezFan. (Hey Mark!) Were those images actually on those glove models??

drumback 12-01-2022 08:07 PM

Good question. Wish I knew the answer. It seems unlikely to me, given that they were all common players.

drumback 12-01-2022 08:10 PM

In the ads, it mentions the glove bears the signature of the player. No mention of the image.

Hankphenom 12-02-2022 08:38 AM

Way cool. If the catalog ran hundreds of pages, does that mean there were hundreds of player-endorsed gloves to choose from? That would be amazing. How about the big stars, any of them represented? I, too, had never heard of this company or seen any of their gloves before, and it seems strange they would be reaching down to this low caliber of players to endorse their products, but maybe that was their niche.

Leon 12-02-2022 08:48 AM

This was moved to the front page so other members can see these cool ads.

drumback 12-02-2022 09:59 AM

Wow, Leon. You're making me regret selling them!

I bought these on ebay several years ago, and have not seen any others since. The full catalog is rarely available, but someone did list one on ebay a couple years later. As I recall, they were asking around $500 for it. I wasn't willing to go there, but I did contact the seller and ask them to check for other ads. I was hoping there might be a Cobb, of course, but the seller confirmed that the five I already had was the entire set. I have since seen ads fromthe catalog offering a large variety of other gloves, but none of them were player endorsed.

gabrinus 12-02-2022 11:03 AM

Cool!!

Wow those are cool!!...Jerry

edhans 12-03-2022 06:31 AM

Re: FS set of 1910 Norville Shapleigh catalog ads

Just spectacular. Congrats on the pickup, Doug.

D. Bergin 12-03-2022 08:57 AM

Yeah, those are neat as hell. Been clicking on this thread regularly over the last few days curious if it was just me that thought so. :):)