Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   downloadable photo guide book text (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=120721)

drc 02-13-2010 03:53 AM

downloadable photo guide book text

Tests, comments and criticism of a test version of Judging the Authenticity of Photographs 5th edition. Free pdf download at top link at cycleback.com

Finished version of document will be done next week. Feel free to test and comment on downloadability, size problems, usability, document size, whatever. Comments will be used in making final version.

Thank you,
David

teetwoohsix 02-13-2010 07:51 PM

This is awesome!!!!

Wow David,this is great!!!I clicked on the link,and was shocked-this is a must see for everyone on this forum for sure.You must've done a ton of research,and I love all of the photo's and history-thank you so much for this!!!
Sincerely,Clayton

Added to say-I will be reading this for quite awhile!!!!

drc 02-13-2010 11:32 PM

double post

drc 02-13-2010 11:33 PM

That was awful nice, Clayton. I was half expecting to read that the book crashed someone's computer.

The #1 best thing about pdf is it can have high quality COLOR pictures. All my print books are black and white, with obvious limitations when the subject is color photography.

teetwoohsix 02-13-2010 11:43 PM

Well,actually I didn't really answer any of the questions you wanted input on-I just wanted to add that it downloaded VERY FAST!!!Matter of seconds-and the photo quality is GREAT!!!
Also,really enjoyed your website too-love the knowledge-thanks again!!

Sincerely,Clayton

drc 02-14-2010 12:06 AM

Hearing it worked is good for me to know. I only know how it works for me, not others. Sometimes a document or program doesn't work for others.

timzcardz 02-14-2010 06:35 AM

I downloaded it fine.

After skimming through it quickly, it does look like a great book with lots of valuable information.

One question, is this intended to be distributed in print, PDF, or both?

In print I understand the page size, but for a PDF, going to an 8.5" x 11" size page would require significantly fewer sheets of paper to print.

oriolesbb6 02-14-2010 06:51 AM

Thank You

As both a new member and an auction house employee, thank you for such a great resource-fast download and easy readability...

Dan Carson 02-14-2010 11:21 AM

Book

I have your book and it's excellent! The pocket size makes it great for your pocket.:)

drc 02-14-2010 12:43 PM

Tim, your question is good. It was originally formatted to be a paperback sized book. I'm not sure how different people will read the pdf book, though. 8x11 is best for printing, but worse for reading on a computer. I'll have to think about that ... Though, be warned, my laziness about reformatting the entire thing will be a factor :) I still have to proof and rearrange some out of place stuff, but the final version will be at the same place on Friday.

thekingofclout 02-15-2010 09:42 AM

I already own two of your photo books David.

I concur with the board. Lightning fast download (just got windows 7 last week) terrific content and images. Well done Dr. C.

A must for all who are interested in learning what you will need to make good decisions and sound judgement when looking to purchase vintage photos.

rdixon1208 02-15-2010 10:50 AM

Thanks

David,

I have been thinking about getting into collecting photos, but have intimidated because of my lack of knowledge. After reading the first few pages of your book, I feel like it is a must read for me before making my first purchase. Thank you so much for making this available to me for free! I am going to print it out before I read the rest of it, and I will give you some feedback as soon as I get through. Thanks again.

williamcohon 02-16-2010 12:57 AM

David,

First of all, thank you for your wonderful work. Your informal style makes the subject matter accessible.

I glanced through, and then went back to read carefully. At present, I am only on page 40, but I noticed that you will be finalizing on Friday. Here are several stylistic and typographical errors; I thought it might help to share them with you.

P. 13, par. 2, "tarnish has come to [the] surface." P. 16, par. 2, "essential to identify[ing] and dating." P. 21, par. 3, "It just has to [be] accurately described." P. 30 par. 1, "or the archives of a magazine the [should be 'he'}worked for."

I have enjoyed reading the materials on your website, just as I am enjoying this new work. Thank you once again, and best of luck.

ibuysportsephemera 02-16-2010 04:35 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your work! It is an excellent resource.

Jeff

drc 02-16-2010 08:39 AM

I'm in trouble now. Mr. Cohen's a teacher. Notes duly noted. I like the comment on my informal style, as that's the way I try to write in all venues. Trying to write like William Faulkner wouldn't do readers or me any good.

Starting Wed, I have the home all to myself for the rest of the week, so will do the final read through. To be safe, anyone can download their final copy of Sunday, though it should be done by Sat morning. Thanks.

Lastly, many people use the guide like a bird book, rather than reading it like a novel. Look up postcards to date a postcard, or reference the glass photos chapter to find out the name of a strange glass photo.

williamcohon 02-22-2010 07:20 AM

How did the editing project go? Did you finish?

drc 02-22-2010 11:30 PM

I did a quick final go through. The major issue was some photos were out of place (though captioned correctly)