Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vintage Pennant Or Repro? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299109)

Joe2007 03-22-2021 06:54 PM

Vintage Pennant Or Repro?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Folks,

Novice collector here who has just enough knowledge in a variety of subjects to get myself in hot water. Was wondering if this Brooklyn Dodgers pennant was the real deal or a newer reproduction? To me it is a bit too pristine looking and unsoiled. Please advise.

Thanks,
Joe

ooo-ribay 03-22-2021 07:27 PM

I think it’s legit.

Guys in the pennant thread can confirm.

Fballguy 03-22-2021 09:00 PM

It looks like an original to me. Spine and stitching looks of the era. Wouldn't the tell tale sign be if this is soft felt? I don't think there are any original "stiff" Brooklyn Dodger pennants.

Definitely not a Mitchell & Ness.

Joe2007 03-22-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2084387)
It looks like an original to me. Spine and stitching looks of the era. Wouldn't the tell tale sign be if this is soft felt? I don't think there are any original "stiff" Brooklyn Dodger pennants.

Definitely not a Mitchell & Ness.

It is very soft. Got it with New York Giants & Boston Braves pennants at an estate auction.

Thanks for the comments.

Fballguy 03-23-2021 06:38 AM

Sounds like you've got a winner! And a nice lot too.

bocca001 03-23-2021 02:55 PM

Well, now you need to show us the Giants and Braves :)

Joe2007 03-23-2021 05:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2084699)
Well, now you need to show us the Giants and Braves :)

Hopefully I have gotten them to attach.

ooo-ribay 03-23-2021 09:14 PM

The Giants pennant is not overly rare but the blue is prone to fading and yours is bluer than most.

I’m wondering if the Braves had a print mis-alignment or if someone trimmed it...

perezfan 03-23-2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2084878)
The Giants pennant is not overly rare but the blue is prone to fading and yours is bluer than most.

I’m wondering if the Braves had a print mis-alignment or if someone trimmed it...

There's a very easy way to tell. Look closely at the top edge of the top border. If white paint resides on the top edge, it is "as made" and unaltered. If the white paint is only on the front of the pennant (and does not bend around to the top edge), then it is likely trimmed.

I've seen it a thousand times and it's quite obvious when the pennant is in-hand.

Good stuff BTW... especially the classic and underrated Bums pennant. One of the truly great and artistic golden-age pennants, with the cigar smoke forming the script "Brooklyn".

Duluth Eskimo 03-23-2021 11:28 PM

Nice pennants, all legit. As Mark said the screen usually extends to the side of the pennant when original. This series in particular was oftentimes miscut or misaligned. All look in original condition to me. Nice pick up

thetahat 03-24-2021 05:43 PM

Cool pennants, now we just need to identify the maker.

UKCardGuy 03-29-2021 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice Pennants. I've snagged a the same Boston Braves pennant yesterday. The spine looks a bit funky. I'll have to wait for it to be delivered to make an assessment. I'm hoping it just needs to be ironed out. I cost me very little, so I was happy to take a chance.

perezfan 03-29-2021 02:34 PM

I think it'll be ok. Just iron it from the reverse side and don't keep the iron in one place for too long. Keep it moving... looks like the tip end could use some minor "flattening" as well. I bet it turns out to be fine.

Nice pickup!

Fballguy 03-29-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2087077)
Nice Pennants. I've snagged a the same Boston Braves pennant yesterday. The spine looks a bit funky. I'll have to wait for it to be delivered to make an assessment. I'm hoping it just needs to be ironed out. I cost me very little, so I was happy to take a chance.

Yeah...That just looks like it needs a good ironing. Interesting that your Brave is wearing a different headdress. I suspect yours might be a little older.

Duluth Eskimo 03-30-2021 12:56 PM

Yes to both what Mark and Rob said. There are plenty of good deals to be had if you don’t fall in to the “I’m going to compete with everyone else” theory. These are all a perfect example of 75 year old tough items in really nice shape. I believe the latest example is older as well and has a different font for lettering. I’ve always really liked almost all vintage Braves pennants. In my area, Milwaukee had a huge following before the Twins. My grandfather used to take the kids on baseball trips down to Milwaukee from Duluth back in the 50’s. Also, hard to find a nicer uniform than the 50’s Braves.

ooo-ribay 03-30-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2087465)
Yes to both what Mark and Rob said. There are plenty of good deals to be had if you don’t fall in to the “I’m going to compete with everyone else” theory. These are all a perfect example of 75 year old tough items in really nice shape. I believe the latest example is older as well and has a different font for lettering. I’ve always really liked almost all vintage Braves pennants. In my area, Milwaukee had a huge following before the Twins. My grandfather used to take the kids on baseball trips down to Milwaukee from Duluth back in the 50’s. Also, hard to find a nicer uniform than the 50’s Braves.

It is nice but has the dreaded blue fade. 32 oz. of blue dye would fix it right up! :p

perezfan 03-30-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2087474)
It is nice but has the dreaded blue fade. 32 oz. of blue dye would fix it right up! :p

I wouldn't dye it. Blue is still the predominant color, and you definitely want to keep it original. If anything, the slight fading gives it a nice aged/antique look.

When these pennants have faded completely to grey, I can see the case for dying. But that one is still a vintage beauty.

perezfan 03-30-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2087465)

Regarding that last sentence... I agree completely.

Aesthetically, the top 3 Unis of the 1950s are Braves, Cardinals and Reds (just my opinion, in no particular order). Tough to beat the Braves Tomahawk, Birds perched on a Bat, and a beaming Mr. Redlegs!

UKCardGuy 03-31-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2087488)
I wouldn't dye it. Blue is still the predominant color, and you definitely want to keep it original. If anything, the slight fading gives it a nice aged/antique look.

When these pennants have faded completely to grey, I can see the case for dying. But that one is still a vintage beauty.

My plan is to leave the Braves pennant as is (other than ironing the spine). I'm actively looking for hidden gems where it needs a bit of a clean or ironing. For me, it's a way to find so e bargains.

I have a NY Giants Pennant that's faded to a gray-blue. I'm tempted to try a dye on that one. Any pointers as to which dye is best?

ooo-ribay 03-31-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2088043)
My plan is to leave the Braves pennant as is (other than ironing the spine). I'm actively looking for hidden gems where it needs a bit of a clean or ironing. For me, it's a way to find so e bargains.

I have a NY Giants Pennant that's faded to a gray-blue. I'm tempted to try a dye on that one. Any pointers as to which dye is best?

I used RIT Indigo. Check page 94 of the “Hey, pennant guys” thread.