Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1935 Goudey Ruth - real or fake? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300515)

drapala 04-17-2021 07:02 PM

1935 Goudey Ruth - real or fake?

2 Attachment(s)
I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Looking at this 1935 Goudey - only have the 2 attached photos. There is clearly a good amount of damage. Does anyone have any ideas about authenticity based on those photos?

Thanks in advance.

jamest206 04-18-2021 07:45 AM

??

Is this something off EBay? If so, who is the seller?

My concern would be how great the top left corner looks vs the right corner. Also, the top left vs left side damage.

Leon 04-18-2021 08:24 AM

Looks authentic to me from the pics

drapala 04-18-2021 08:42 AM

Thank you both. It was on Ebay from a seller that didn't seem to sell cards or know much about the card itself. It was too high risk for me so I passed and it sold.

Thank you both again.

Mikehallett22 04-24-2021 07:52 AM

Hi Guys,
I was the one that purchased this card and now that I have it, I do think it is a fake. I'm sorta versed in what to look for in fake vs real, however this one is pretty good. I have returned some obvious fakes in the past and this certainly looks real, but it just doesnt feal real. Do these 1935 cards have a sheen on them when a light shines off them? Most older cards do and unfortunately, I do not have any other 1935 cards to compare to, only 1933 Goudeys and Sport Kings. This one is completely matte finish. I looked at it under a microscope and it has the same dot pattern as authentic cards, but Im figuring the fake guys have figured this out as well. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.

Leon 04-24-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehallett22 (Post 2096145)
Hi Guys,
I was the one that purchased this card and now that I have it, I do think it is a fake. I'm sorta versed in what to look for in fake vs real, however this one is pretty good. I have returned some obvious fakes in the past and this certainly looks real, but it just doesnt feal real. Do these 1935 cards have a sheen on them when a light shines off them? Most older cards do and unfortunately, I do not have any other 1935 cards to compare to, only 1933 Goudeys and Sport Kings. This one is completely matte finish. I looked at it under a microscope and it has the same dot pattern as authentic cards, but Im figuring the fake guys have figured this out as well. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.

Can you post a larger scan or send one to me via email and I can for you. Yes, there should be a little (not a lot of) sheen from the patina on it.

Here is mine. Raw and real...

https://luckeycards.com/pr321goudeyruth.jpg

SD 04-24-2021 09:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Measure it compared to a 33, should be the same. I'm almost positive it's fake. Only seen the bright sheen on fake 35s. Also,
compare the card stock thickness. It should stand out compare to the 33. Here is some examples of a real 35 ruth next to a fake 35 that a local dealer was trying to sell as authentic.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehallett22 (Post 2096145)
Hi Guys,
Thanks in advance.

Mikehallett22 04-24-2021 09:56 AM

Thanks Leon and SD. Im not sure how to post pics with resolution so low, but I'll forward through e-mail to you Leon. SD, I did compare to an older card and size is exact, but its the matte finish that is so noticeable. When comparing the thickness, that is the same, but 3 out of the 4 sides are much brighter-almost a cream color instead of the faded cardboard color. I so wanted this to be real...

drcy 04-24-2021 10:52 AM

I don't know what we are looking at with those big photos. Whose cards are those?

When I saw the first two small photos, I thought the wear looked a bit odd but otherwise the cards looked okay.

I thought all 1933-5 Goudeys has a somewhat matte surface and were not glossy front or back. A little bit of a sheen but not like a modern 2000s card. That it's matte I don't think is an issue.

I'd want to see it in person, and the pics are small, but Leon may be right that it's real.

Mikehallett22 04-24-2021 11:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the card in question. What do you think?

ALBB 04-24-2021 11:44 AM

ruth

should probably be alright

Leon 04-24-2021 11:59 AM

Better pics. Looks like too much sheen and the underlying paper loss is very white. Not good signs...

https://luckeycards.com/ruthfake.jpg
https://luckeycards.com/ruthfake2.jpg

Mikehallett22 04-24-2021 12:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks, I was also able to figure out how to post pics, but yours are much more zoomed in.
Its weird because in the pic, it looks like its white, however the card looks like cardboard (tan in color) where the corner is missing and the side.
Since I don’t have time to get it graded, is there any other way to know if I’m dealing with a real or fake card?
Appreciate all the help.

Leon 04-24-2021 12:16 PM

I am not liking how white the underlying paper is. It should be tan like the other parts. Also, there seems to be too much sheen. It shouldn't look like that. IF I were a betting person I would say not good. But I am not positive. If you want to send it to me, to hold in hand, I could be 99% on it...maybe 100%.

SD 04-24-2021 02:14 PM

The goslin 35 is a fake. It's red trim is much brighter and its slightly larger.. plus the cards stock is a white pulp while the authentic
is grayish brown.
Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2096227)
I don't know what we are looking at with those big photos. Whose cards are those?

When I saw the first two small photos, I thought the wear looked a bit odd but otherwise the cards looked okay.

I thought all 1933-5 Goudeys has a somewhat matte surface and were not glossy front or back. A little bit of a sheen but not like a modern 2000s card. That it's matte I don't think is an issue.

I'd want to see it in person, and the pics are small, but Leon may be right that it's real.

Mikehallett22 04-25-2021 11:37 AM

Do fake cards have the dot printing pattern as you see on authentic cards from the 30's? Under microscope, this Ruth looks the same as a real card. I'm confident its fake just based on the feel and look of the completely matte finish.

drcy 04-25-2021 05:04 PM

The photos aren't entirely in focus when I look at them up close. So, while at first blush the dot patterns look good, it's indeterminate.

I also agree the gloss (or lack thereof) is off, not like the other Goudey. The flaking/paper flapping on the right edge is strange too, but I haven't a Goudey in a long while.

Try a black light test. If you don't have a blacklight, they're only about $10 on eBay and Amazon.

rgpete 04-25-2021 05:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Since this is in 35 Goudey's I am just inquiring about the Waner's I did the blue light no bright as modern paper the size is good from top to bottom but the width is short by less then half of a 1/16' Is it real or fake