Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Sharpie on newspaper (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=307691)

mrmopar 09-09-2021 06:22 PM

Sharpie on newspaper

Does anyone have any first hand experience with older sharpie signatures (or writing in general) and how it may age/react? I got a fairly scarce newspaper issue signed in sharpie a few years back by Dave Stewart and it looks great, but concerned maybe it will bleed over time.

I have a similar issue that I would like to have signed by Steve Garvey. The item is too scarce to ruin (Should have thought of that with Stewart too), if a sharpie sig will not hold up on newspaper. Maybe it outlasts me, but I'd still hate to think it might be a worthless piece of junk in the future, even if I am not around to enjoy or own it any longer.

Steve D 09-09-2021 07:13 PM

I have a photo of John Jefferson of the SD Chargers, that I cut from a newspaper, and later had it signed. I don't remember when it was signed, but do know it was at least 23 years ago.

The blue sharpie signature still looks as good as the day it was signed, with absolutely no bleeding whatsoever. It did soak through to the back, so it's nearly as bold on the back, as it is on the front, but it is still sharp and clear.

Steve

1963Topps Set 09-09-2021 09:42 PM

I’d rather have it signed in ball point pen for a vintage look

BillyCoxDodgers3B 09-10-2021 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set (Post 2143394)
I’d rather have it signed in ball point pen for a vintage look

I agree. Modern Sharpie is too glaring and out of place on vintage newsprint. You do run the risk of tearing fragile newsprint with the relative sharpness of a ballpoint, however.

If you're having a 1970's-80's newspaper signed and the newsprint does seem a bit fragile, I'd suggest doing a bit of experimentation with a soft-tipped flair pen--the type with a thicker felt tip rather than the thinner, sharp point. These markers were period to the era and might look good and will be bold. I'd go with a purple flair if you can find one, as that color was quite popular back then and would be a great throwback. It's also nice and bold without being too "in your face" like when fresh blue or black Sharpie is applied to older newsprint. Apply a small amount that nobody else will notice o a discreet area of the same newspaper and see how it adheres. If it bleeds, hold off. All of this cheap, pulpy type of paper will react differently depending on many factors, including the condition the paper has been subjected to over the decades. You could easily get different reactions to ink application on two copies of the same paper if one was stored in a balmy climate versus Alaska, for instance.

milkit1 09-10-2021 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ive wondered about the long term effects of sharpie on newspaper as well. i dont have any insight on this but I do have this incredible newspaper photo of the 06 cubs (probably from the late 30's) though not signed in sharpie, the autographs have held up really well :)

roarfrom34 09-10-2021 06:04 PM

Here is a signed Sporting News cover that was signed in blue sharpie back in 1985, that has held up fine over the years:

https://i.imgur.com/b1KuGPk.jpg

mrmopar 09-10-2021 07:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was more concerned about bleeding. I don't mind ball point ink, but with newsprint, the ink gets lost, especially if the image is darker. This is what I would be wanting signed. The first one is graded and I'd need to bust it out.

These are some of the hardest to find Garvey items out there. Getting them signed would be icing on the cake. The last one is closer to magazine, but still like newspaper.

Attachment 478246

Attachment 478247

Attachment 478248

Attachment 478249

mrmopar 09-10-2021 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Stewart. Probably would have looked better with Dodger blue sharpie though...it was only signed less than 5 years ago.

mrmopar 09-10-2021 07:26 PM

The risk I am thinking now, after looking at Stewart is the thickness. Maybe a brand new sharpie, but it would be a mail in deal. I'd have no control, other than sending pens and asking that they be used.

Garvey was added to Past Pros and his prices are pretty reasonable, so I believe it goes direct to him.

egri 09-10-2021 09:01 PM

I have a few things signed on newsprint over the years in sharpie that have held up well. The marker initially bled through to the other side of the paper, but other than that no complaints.