Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New to the hobby 1961 Topps Dice cards Mantle Highest Graded! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330144)

whiteymet 01-10-2023 12:09 PM

New to the hobby 1961 Topps Dice cards Mantle Highest Graded!

Gentlemen:

Thought you all would be interested in seeing new to the hobby 1961 ( though they are actually from 1963) Topps Dice Cards. Not back from PSA yet, just graded yesterday. See:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...timeset/549026

Included is only the third Mantle graded and this is the highest!

All four will be finding new homes soon. Not sure yet how to proceed, but needless to say it will be fun!

Cheers,

Fred McKie

STL1944 01-10-2023 12:12 PM

Good lookin'

That is a good looking PSA 2.5! Congratulations!

toppcat 01-10-2023 12:14 PM

Fred, would love to hear the back story on these!

whiteymet 01-10-2023 03:50 PM

photos of the 61 Topps Dice Cards

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the photos of the Dice Cards

Eric72 01-10-2023 05:21 PM

Tremendous looking cards. Thank you for sharing.

mantlefan 01-10-2023 07:29 PM

Awesome

Wowie! Congrats Fred.

ALR-bishop 01-10-2023 08:06 PM

Tuff Stuff

71buc 01-10-2023 08:54 PM

Incredible! Congratulations

Gorditadogg 01-10-2023 09:48 PM

Mick was a sucker for the change up, apparently.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Lucas00 01-10-2023 10:57 PM

Insane find. Some may say once in a lifetime cards to own.

raulus 01-11-2023 10:03 PM

Have fun selling them!

I suspect that player collectors are going to be your best bet, or at least who will be willing to pay the most. Obviously the Mantle collectors out there have been willing to pay some crazy high prices to get the other examples of this card, which are lower graded due to having pin holes.

If I didn’t already have my Mays dice game, then I would be pretty motivated to pick yours up.

Good luck!

JustinD 01-11-2023 11:44 PM

Add me to the list on wanting to hear this story too!

Great find.

brian1961 01-12-2023 11:39 AM

Good afternoon, Fred. Do please take the time to favor us with an anecdote detailing the provenance of these "New to the hobby 1961 Topps Dice cards Mantle Highest Graded!" I realize doing so can be laborious and time-consuming, but as someone who got on these boards earlier this year and wrote out this kind of anecdote, you might find it invigorating, as I did. You may not get much feedback, and I did not either, but I think your story WILL garner a lot of attention. Occasionally, when you knock yourself out and elucidate an enchanting story, the resulting silence is deafening with whispers.......

Should you decide not to bother with us, do take the time to write it up for the auction house you decide to work with. Good stories sell cards.......;) Brian Powell

brad31 01-12-2023 01:36 PM

Wow these are beauties. Thanks for sharing.

Zach Wheat 01-13-2023 08:40 AM

beautiful cards!

raulus 01-13-2023 04:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 2303568)
Good afternoon, Fred. Do please take the time to favor us with an anecdote detailing the provenance of these "New to the hobby 1961 Topps Dice cards Mantle Highest Graded!" I realize doing so can be laborious and time-consuming, but as someone who got on these boards earlier this year and wrote out this kind of anecdote, you might find it invigorating, as I did. You may not get much feedback, and I did not either, but I think your story WILL garner a lot of attention. Occasionally, when you knock yourself out and elucidate an enchanting story, the resulting silence is deafening with whispers.......

Should you decide not to bother with us, do take the time to write it up for the auction house you decide to work with. Good stories sell cards.......;) Brian Powell

Seems like Fred is too busy marketing them to share the backstory here. Either that or he's decided that the mystery adds to the aura, kind of like how the Noodle Incident is never explained in Calvin & Hobbes, so our imaginations are left to run wild at the possibilities.

ALR-bishop 01-13-2023 04:33 PM

I am betting the story shows up in the near future but in a broader venue

whiteymet 01-13-2023 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2303951)
I am betting the story shows up in the near future but in a broader venue

Hi Guys:

Al has some inside info! :)

I had expected an article about these that would have answered the questions posed here to be published in Rich Mueller's Sports Collectors Daily today.

Guess it will be out in a few days.

Short version of the story. These were found last year in a pencil case where it has been sitting in a drawer in a family home in Brooklyn for 60 or so years!

A son, now living in South Carolina returned to Brooklyn to clean out his family residence last year. Mom threw out other cards over the years and he said the only reason these survived was because they were in the pencil case. He says they were his brothers cards and most likely an older neighbor kid gave them to him.

They were listed online and he was inundated by offers/info etc.

After six months of talking/negotiating we recently closed the deal

brian1961 01-14-2023 01:25 PM

Thanks, Fred. You've presented us with a very interesting story. Wow. Most of all, congratulations upon getting this suite of sweet Topps Dice Game cards. I am so happy for you.

In my humble opinion, the Dice Game Mantle had best be shown by your chosen auction house during this year's National, and auctioned shortly after. Furthermore, the Dice Mantle had better grace the cover of the auction house catalog.

If I may be so bold to suggest, and this might be a bit uncomfortable for you---offer the auction house your presence at the National to answer questions, and offer opinions. The actual future bidders would (I.E. SHOULD) appreciate meeting and chatting with you.......;)

--- Brian Powell

stlcardsfan 01-14-2023 02:25 PM

Awesome story and find. Congrats. I am shaking my head at PSA labeling these 1961 after it has clearly been shown they are from 1963.

whiteymet 01-15-2023 11:54 AM

Dice Card Find Article

Hi Gang:

Here is the article I mentioned above I was expecting to be published regarding the Dice Cards find.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...st-cards-find/

ALR-bishop 01-15-2023 01:27 PM

Great article Fred.

The amazing thing to me is that the guy who had them on ebay did not end up giving them up for $ 4.99 before being advised what he had. Must still be some honest folks out there. A long and argumentative thread on 54 about selling and buying ethics could have arisen if they had sold for $ 4.99 :)

Republicaninmass 01-15-2023 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2304563)
Great article Fred.

The amazing thing to me is that the guy who had them on ebay did not end up giving them up for $ 4.99 before being advised what he had. Must still be some honest folks out there. A long and argumentative thread on 54 about selling and buying ethics could have arisen if they had sold for $ 4.99 :)

Doubtful. As I assume there was a mad rush to get him to end them early for far less than their value and bet nobody said theyd refer him to an auction house

jayshum 01-15-2023 03:31 PM

Fred, congratulations on getting everything worked out for this pickup. Hopefully selling them won't be as challenging.

bswhiten 01-15-2023 05:05 PM

Very cool Fred! I too am glad the seller made a bit more than $20 on the cards!

whiteymet 01-15-2023 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bswhiten (Post 2304640)
Very cool Fred! I too am glad the seller made a bit more than $20 on the cards!

Ben:

They were listed for $4.99 for ALL four cars! Not each.

Yes, the seller ended up with QUITE A BIT more than $20!! TONS more.

pawpawdiv9 01-16-2023 09:24 AM

Love to hear where & when these be sold. As someone mentioned, around the Nat'l seems the way to go.

Lorewalker 01-16-2023 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2304573)
Doubtful. As I assume there was a mad rush to get him to end them early for far less than their value and bet nobody said theyd refer him to an auction house

Probably closer to the truth.

cannonballsun 01-19-2023 09:58 AM

Great

Congratulations, Fred, on an amazing pick-up.
Plus it is also a great story.
I knew those cards were extremely rare, but I truly didn't know how valuable they are, especially the Mantle.
Once again, congratulations.

raulus 01-19-2023 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 2304842)
Love to hear where & when these be sold. As someone mentioned, around the Nat'l seems the way to go.

Far be it from me to speak for Fred, but I understand he is marketing them now as private sales. So if you want in, I wouldn’t wait to contact Fred.

mrreality68 01-19-2023 07:45 PM

Nice looking cards and nice set of cards

whiteymet 01-19-2023 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2305888)
Far be it from me to speak for Fred, but I understand he is marketing them now as private sales. So if you want in, I wouldn’t wait to contact Fred.

Thanks all for your comments.

Yeah these were a SUPER pick up. A great experience.

I want to say PSA was a huge help in getting the cards graded and getting the cards to them and back. Shout out to Kevin and Nat

FYI all four cards have found a new home

raulus 01-20-2023 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2306029)
Thanks all for your comments.

Yeah these were a SUPER pick up. A great experience.

I want to say PSA was a huge help in getting the cards graded and getting the cards to them and back. Shout out to Kevin and Nat

FYI all four cards have found a new home

Congrats to the new owner(s), and welcome to the club!

It's obviously not the same as being a T206 Wagner owner, but since they are even rarer and come up for sale less often, in some ways it's even more exclusive. At the risk of being excessively self serving, hopefully it stays that way for the next few decades until I decide I'm ready to sell mine.

raulus 03-27-2023 02:24 PM

PSA Magazine

Noticed that there's a writeup on the find in the April 2023 PSA Magazine.

Pages 25-26, here:

https://issuu.com/psamagazine.com/do...gazine_rgb_300

The article suggests that there are 3 copies of each card in existence, for 54 cards total, with one of the sets being in uncut sheet form. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the original uncut sheet has been cut up by now.

To my knowledge, there are 3 of the Mays in PSA holders, and at least one in a SGC holder. Unless someone crossed one of them over, that would make at least 4.

ALBB 03-27-2023 05:56 PM

dice

Wow,
what a story ..what a find !

sflayank 03-28-2023 08:14 AM

that story is all wrong.
6 sets were printed...i believe on a 9x12 sheet of 108 cards
2 uncut sets.....one was hand cut the other is believed to still be intact
the 4 factory cut sets...1 was put into topps files...and each one has the staple holes at top
the other 3 sets are out there somewhere..as evidenced by the 3 willie mays cards graded..the staple hole mays and hand cut mays are not in those 3
i could be wrong but the psa story of only 3 sets made is obviously wrong

ALR-bishop 03-28-2023 08:25 AM

Thanks for info Larry

raulus 03-28-2023 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflayank (Post 2327511)
that story is all wrong.
6 sets were printed...i believe on a 9x12 sheet of 108 cards
2 uncut sets.....one was hand cut the other is believed to still be intact
the 4 factory cut sets...1 was put into topps files...and each one has the staple holes at top
the other 3 sets are out there somewhere..as evidenced by the 3 willie mays cards graded..the staple hole mays and hand cut mays are not in those 3
i could be wrong but the psa story of only 3 sets made is obviously wrong

Makes a lot more sense based on the pop counts and the pieces that we see coming to market once in a blue moon.

whiteymet 03-29-2023 05:19 PM

Just to be clear, I did not give the writer of the article the info about how many sets of Dice cards there were. That must have come from his own research or lack of same.

There are three Mantles graded by PSA and I know of one that is ungraded as well. Not counting the assumed still uncut sheet. So three sets is obviously not a correct count.

The original article about the find on Sports Collectors Daily misquoted or misunderstood me about the ebay listing. The FOUR cards were listed as a group at a starting price of $4.99. Not EACH.

The writer of the PSA article must have picked this up from the Sports Collectors Daily article.

Just setting the record straight......