Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Trivia Again - Who am I? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=323351)

frankbmd 08-10-2022 09:05 PM

Trivia Again - Who am I?

I was a 10 year veteran position player in the big leagues. I played in 2 World Series, was an MVP candidate one year, but never hit a home run in the majors. During my 10 years in the bigs, I never had a baseball card, but my only baseball card was noteworthy. frankbmd obtained my autograph in person, the best day of my life.;)

clydepepper 08-11-2022 09:08 AM

Al Brazle? - nope, he had cards.

But, he did have a 10-year career, was 36th in MVP voting one year, never hit a homer in the Bigs and played in two World Series.

BobbyStrawberry 08-11-2022 09:15 AM

That was fast!

frankbmd 08-11-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2251611)
That was fast!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2251606)
Al Brazle? - nope, he had cards.

But, he did have a 10-year career, was 36th in MVP voting one year, never hit a homer in the Bigs and played in two World Series.

Not so fast Bobby. Brazle is not correct for the reason stated by Mr. Pepper, or is that Dr. Pepper. Furthermore Mr. Brazle was not a position player.

Pitchers, particularly in the DH era, do not hit home runs. The correct answer is a player who never pitched.

I apologize if my understanding of a position player is not universally accepted by the Board.

Hopefully this clarification will not rattle Peter's chain about moving the goal posts in my trivia threads.

Please continue responsding until the correct answer is acknowledged.:D

I also do not have Al Brazle's autograph, nor have I ever had one.

BobbyStrawberry 08-11-2022 09:45 AM

Got it, Frank...I don't think I'll get this one without hints...🤔

clydepepper 08-11-2022 12:50 PM

Apologies for reading 'past' the position player portion...certainly, no doctor here.

clydepepper 08-11-2022 12:57 PM

I may have it. Was he born somewhere that is a tourist attraction?

If it is who I think it is, what a fascinating MVP vote that year: who won it, who was tied with this mystery player and who didn't get any votes!

D. Bergin 08-11-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2251683)
I may have it. Was he born somewhere that is a tourist attraction?

If it is who I think it is, what a fascinating MVP vote that year: who won it, who was tied with this mystery player and who didn't get any votes!

I think I found that guy, but he had 3 World Series wins, plus several baseball cards.

frankbmd 08-11-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2251705)
I think I found that guy, but he had 3 World Series wins, plus several baseball cards.

This man only played in 2 World Series and had no baseball cards when he was active..

clydepepper 08-11-2022 02:39 PM

I'll go ahead and reveal my guess:

Benny Bengough

His last year was 1932, the year before his goudey card (#1) came out.

He was on the Yankees for four World Series, but played in only two.

He was in a three way tie for 24th place for the MVP in 1925 with a rookie named Gehrig and Howard Ehmke, who was 9-and-20.

Roger Peckinpaugh was MVP that year and his teammate, Walter Johnson, who was 20-7 and batted .433 got no votes...neither did The Babe.

Amazing!

And, he never hit a home run (why do I feel like Red Buttons when I say that?)

D. Bergin 08-11-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2251723)
I'll go ahead and reveal my guess:

Benny Bengough

His last year was 1932, the year before his goudey card (#1) came out.

He was on the Yankees for four World Series, but played in only two.

He was in a three way tie for 24th place for the MVP in 1925 with a rookie named Gehrig and Howard Ehmke, who was 9-and-20.

Roger Peckinpaugh was MVP that year and his teammate, Walter Johnson, who was 20-7 and batted .433 got no votes...neither did The Babe.

Amazing!

And, he never hit a home run (why do I feel like Red Buttons when I say that?)

That was my guess but I thought it didn’t quite fit. Now that you clarified it a bit, I realize I probably read the question wrong. I don’t see who else it could possibly be.

Peter_Spaeth 08-11-2022 04:21 PM

And Frank probably got his autograph in 1933, not during the 60s.

frankbmd 08-11-2022 04:34 PM

Benny was a coach for the Phillies until 1958. I got his autograph in 1957. I’ve never heard it mentioned here, but The Diary of Myles Thomas is a fascinating behind the scenes look at the 1927 Yankees, whom Thomas pitched for and was the roommate of Benny Bengough. Much of the diary concerns Babe Ruth off the field in the 20s. Who knew that Babe played the saxophone? I didn’t.