Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Anyone else have an issue with a certified auto not passing eBay authentication? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333042)

packs 03-17-2023 04:05 PM

Anyone else have an issue with a certified auto not passing eBay authentication?

I recently bought a standard first Bowman auto on eBay that the seller shipped to me. Except somewhere in the process it apparently failed eBay's authentication guarantee and was returned to the seller. I was issued a refund.

The only reason I could think of was because the card wasn't PSA graded? Otherwise it was a certified auto. I doubt it was a reprint this was a 2022 card. Has this happened to anyone else?

Peter_Spaeth 03-17-2023 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2324440)
I recently bought a standard first Bowman auto on eBay that the seller shipped to me. Except somewhere in the process it apparently failed eBay's authentication guarantee and was returned to the seller. I was issued a refund.

The only reason I could think of was because the card wasn't PSA graded? Otherwise it was a certified auto. I doubt it was a reprint this was a 2022 card. Has this happened to anyone else?

Was this a raw card? If so, perhaps CSG thought the condition was misrepresented?

packs 03-17-2023 04:37 PM

Yeah it was a raw card. Does eBay's guarantee go that deep? It only says it failed the authenticity guarantee but it doesn't have anymore detail.

Peter_Spaeth 03-17-2023 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2324455)
Yeah it was a raw card. Does eBay's guarantee go that deep? It only says it failed the authenticity guarantee but it doesn't have anymore detail.

On raw cards, supposedly they not only assure authenticity but check that the condition matches the description.

packs 03-17-2023 04:42 PM

Oh wow. I didn't realize that. Maybe they did me a big favor then.

bnorth 03-17-2023 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2324440)

It could have been fake. Did it come from the New Jersey area? There are a ton of fake certified autos coming out of that area and has been for a long time.

packs 03-17-2023 06:22 PM

This was a 2022 Bowman Chrome auto. It would be a weird card to reprint. I’m thinking maybe it was a grade thing. I didn’t think that was part of the eBay review but might make the most sense.

swarmee 03-19-2023 03:42 PM

Condition and misrepresentations are the reasons for many rejections. Card may have had a scratch or dent that doesn't show in the image, or they could have put something in the item description, like a different player's name.

Bcwcardz 03-19-2023 05:08 PM

Had nothing to do with the autograph. They don’t authenticate autographs. Probably a mistake in the title. Misspellings and wrong descriptions and others said are the majority. Don’t think too much into it. I swear I’ve seen this question on other forums the last couple days. Just buy another. It’s from a new product and I’m sure plenty are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Republicaninmass 03-19-2023 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcwcardz (Post 2324964)
Had nothing to do with the autograph. They don’t authenticate autographs. Probably a mistake in the title. Misspellings and wrong descriptions and others said are the majority. Don’t think too much into it. I swear I’ve seen this question on other forums the last couple days. Just buy another. It’s from a new product and I’m sure plenty are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason I think they DO authenticate autographs. Anyone know the answer? I had one fail, but they said "description"

Zach Wheat 03-20-2023 05:17 AM

I have had several cards that had a Becket Autograph Authenticated sticker sealing the card in a card saver. All cards graded at PSA as anticipated with no issues; label had "authentic" regarding auto

packs 03-20-2023 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcwcardz (Post 2324964)

Sometimes you buy something for a price you're happy with that you don't get to pay later just because you paid it once before. I think it's normal to wonder why this happened and necessary to understand what to avoid later. Nobody wants to be buying cards that get returned all the time.

mrmopar 03-21-2023 08:52 PM

Happened to me with a Pujols auto not that long ago and since I bid in a moment of auction frenzy, had a couple signed cards already and felt I overpaid for this one a bit, I was actually kind of happy it failed. I got a refund and the seller relisted and probably got more the 2nd time, because I still got a decent deal (even though I paid more than I wanted to).