Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why aren’t slabs more resistant to scratching/cracking/breaking? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345804)

parkplace33 02-01-2024 05:17 AM

Why aren’t slabs more resistant to scratching/cracking/breaking?

The title says it all. Grading companies have improved visuals, apps, etc, but the slab material hasn’t improved. I have seen stories of slabs being damaged over the years, while I cracked a slab once by accidentally dropping it on a table :o

The only exception is Beckett. You could survived Armageddon by building a bunker of Beckett slabs :D

BillyCoxDodgers3B 02-01-2024 06:06 AM

...to increase their odds of your wanting to resubmit for more profit because of some scratches that won't buff out? They don't see it as a problem that needs fixing.

Johnny630 02-01-2024 06:43 AM

Do some people use those grading bag sleeves those plastic Mylar bags that go around their slabs to protect them still? I always thought that was a good idea. Some people are just careless with the way they handle their slabs.

ullmandds 02-01-2024 07:14 AM

because that would cost them $$$$$$$...and they only want to make $$$$$.

bnorth 02-01-2024 07:32 AM

That is why we need a slab to protect the slab we are using to protect the slab that is protecting the slab that is protecting the original slab that contains our precious card.

Or you could just order your own higher grade PSA slabs made to exact specifications from one of many suppliers in China.;)

Bcwcardz 02-01-2024 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2409592)
Do some people use those grading bag sleeves those plastic Mylar bags that go around their slabs to protect them still? I always thought that was a good idea. Some people are just careless with the way they handle their slabs.

I use them still for the few slabs I do have. I’ve seen some slabs scratched to hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred 02-01-2024 08:20 AM

There are sleeves for slabs. Most AHs send the slabs in those sleeves. I used to discard the sleeves but now I keep the slabs in the sleeves but it makes for sloppy storage.

now say this 5x quickly - slabbers sleeving slabs sloppily

steve B 02-01-2024 09:20 AM

There are only a few materials that are clear, inexpensive, easily formed, and light.

All of them are somewhat easily scratched.

Peter_Spaeth 02-01-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2409633)
There are only a few materials that are clear, inexpensive, easily formed, and light.

All of them are somewhat easily scratched.

Yup. So use the sleeves, there are some great ones out there. Or if you buy a slab that has scratches, most can be greatly improved with Novus 2.

Chuck9788 02-01-2024 10:20 AM

I have all my graded cards in sleeves. And I'm going to tell you the best sleeve company available (I have no relationship with them) is called "Superior Fit Innovations", based out of British Columbia. Check out their website in the link, I can firmly attest that they are great!

"Superior Fit Innovations"
https://www.superiorfitsleeves.com

dealme 02-01-2024 10:53 AM

I feel like this same argument could be made for modern vehicle headlights. [emoji16]

bnorth 02-01-2024 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealme (Post 2409651)
I feel like this same argument could be made for modern vehicle headlights. [emoji16]

LOL, and why is it almost always just the drivers side headlight?

GRock 02-01-2024 01:13 PM

PSA and SGC use Crystal Polystyrene, it's inexpensive and not very durable.
Beckett uses (or at least used to)Poly Carbonate, more expensive but its super durable in comparison.

Peter_Spaeth 02-01-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck9788 (Post 2409646)
I have all my graded cards in sleeves. And I'm going to tell you the best sleeve company available (I have no relationship with them) is called "Superior Fit Innovations", based out of British Columbia. Check out their website in the link, I can firmly attest that they are great!

"Superior Fit Innovations"
https://www.superiorfitsleeves.com

I have repeatedly had issues with their SGC sleeves being too small. Shellz are better IMO.

Snowman 02-01-2024 02:55 PM

It's pretty easy to remove scratches from a slab using some polish. Although I don't know how the purists would feel about that? Probably a big no-no! Might get your name and pics posted somewhere with the word "FRAUDSTER" plastered next to it!

cgjackson222 02-01-2024 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2409705)
It's pretty easy to remove scratches from a slab using some polish. Although I don't know how the purists would feel about that? Probably a big no-no! Might get your name and pics posted somewhere with the word "FRAUDSTER" plastered next to it!

What kind of polish do you use? I used some white toothpaste that had baking soda in it and rubbed it on with a microfiber cloth and worked pretty well.

Bigdaddy 02-01-2024 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2409705)

The only acceptable method is soaking them in virgin spring water from Icelandic glaciers.

bnorth 02-01-2024 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2409720)
The only acceptable method is soaking them in virgin spring water from Icelandic glaciers.

I bought a 16ox bottle of that for $8.99 off the internet. When it arrived I looked at the ingredient list. It said Source: Houston TX municipal water.:confused:

Snowman 02-01-2024 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjackson222 (Post 2409717)
What kind of polish do you use? I used some white toothpaste that had baking soda in it and rubbed it on with a microfiber cloth and worked pretty well.

Not sure. I think maybe Mcguire's? It's for my car. Bought it at an auto parts store. Any polish should work though. If it says it's for headlights, that's probably ideal?

Peter_Spaeth 02-01-2024 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2409769)
Not sure. I think maybe Mcguire's? It's for my car. Bought it at an auto parts store. Any polish should work though. If it says it's for headlights, that's probably ideal?

Novus Plastic Polish No. 2 works well in my experience. PSA generally easier to clean up than SGC.

steve B 02-05-2024 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRock (Post 2409681)
Beckett uses (or at least used to)Poly Carbonate, more expensive but its super durable in comparison.

I would love to know how you found that out?
I've made some brief attempts at it, but figured it would be closely held as a trade secret so I didn't put much effort into it.

bnorth 02-05-2024 07:11 AM

Kinda off topic but how close are we to being able to easily 3D print our own PSA slabs at home? I know nothing about 3D printing so curious.

toledo_mudhen 02-05-2024 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2409644)
Yup. So use the sleeves, there are some great ones out there. Or if you buy a slab that has scratches, most can be greatly improved with Novus 2.

Yep - Have used Novus for several years on every slabbed card I buy - Once done with the NOVUS - then into a new Slab Sleeve

If the slab is simply scratched (or needs cleaning) and isn't a complete disaster the Novus 3 Step process will improve the aesthetics considerably.

https://novuspolish.com/products/2-o...tic-polish-kit

Snowman 02-05-2024 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2410551)
Kinda off topic but how close are we to being able to easily 3D print our own PSA slabs at home? I know nothing about 3D printing so curious.

Assuming you'd want to be able to see through it, that's not happening

bnorth 02-05-2024 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2410565)
Assuming you'd want to be able to see through it, that's not happening

LOL, they can 3D print camera lenses.

GasHouseGang 02-05-2024 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2410566)
LOL, they can 3D print camera lenses.

I thought you were kidding, but apparently not: https://formlabs.com/blog/creating-c...eolithography/

steve B 02-05-2024 10:38 AM

Beat me to it.

It's not simple, and 3d printing at the hobby/homeowner level isn't fast, but it does do some amazing things.

jchcollins 02-05-2024 11:00 AM

This stuff is fantastic for cleaning light scratches and sometimes worse out of slabs:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b8c3620e16.jpg

As to the question on the whole, I don't think it's so much that the graders don't use durable materials, it's just that people are careless as hell with their slabs. Easily one of my hobby pet peeves, when I buy something that looks good in the pic on eBay, but then a week later the slab arrives looking like someone used it as a cutting board in their kitchen. Invest in some Superior Fit sleeves, people.

55koufax 02-05-2024 12:55 PM

I was in plastics...

And this statement is partially correct
Quote:

The solution to the original poster's question on how to improve a slab's durability, etc., would be to utilize polycarbonate but with a scratch resistant coating. This is truly an expensive solution, but really the only solution in the manufacturing process to create the most durable clear slab.

Fred 02-05-2024 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2409773)
Novus Plastic Polish No. 2 works well in my experience. PSA generally easier to clean up than SGC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 2410618)
This stuff is fantastic for cleaning light scratches and sometimes worse out of slabs:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b8c3620e16.jpg

As to the question on the whole, I don't think it's so much that the graders don't use durable materials, it's just that people are careless as hell with their slabs. Easily one of my hobby pet peeves, when I buy something that looks good in the pic on eBay, but then a week later the slab arrives looking like someone used it as a cutting board in their kitchen. Invest in some Superior Fit sleeves, people.

Are you guys talking about applying chemicals to a slab? Is that altering the slab? Isn't that a bad thing? That's a chemical being applied to the plastic that houses the card - NOOOOOO!!!! :mad:

Hey, I'm just kidding!!!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Leon 02-07-2024 03:54 PM

Novus

This is what I use.

As for why the plastics aren't more scratch-proof? The answer to these type questions is usually "money".

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 2410558)
Yep - Have used Novus for several years on every slabbed card I buy - Once done with the NOVUS - then into a new Slab Sleeve

If the slab is simply scratched (or needs cleaning) and isn't a complete disaster the Novus 3 Step process will improve the aesthetics considerably.

https://novuspolish.com/products/2-o...tic-polish-kit

NonSportDaniel 02-07-2024 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2410547)
I would love to know how you found that out?
I've made some brief attempts at it, but figured it would be closely held as a trade secret so I didn't put much effort into it.

About two minutes with an FTIR and you would know. Easy peasy.

steve B 02-08-2024 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel (Post 2411190)
About two minutes with an FTIR and you would know. Easy peasy.

That's true.

So you have access to an FTIR machine? Lots of questions out there that could be answered.
The stamp guys are using xrf and sometimes one other, But the sample area isn't usually big enough to get info without having to wreck an already damaged stamp as a reference (Like to have the data for the paper so it can be backed out of the overall stamp leaving the spectrum for the ink.)

Bliggity 02-08-2024 06:47 AM

1. Crack card out of slab.
2. Throw away slab.
3. No more scratches on slab.
4. Enjoy card.

That's my method, though I acknowledge it's not for everyone.

Otherwise, I agree Meguiars is good on slabs, I also use that for refinishing guitars.

NonSportDaniel 02-08-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2411257)
That's true.

So you have access to an FTIR machine? Lots of questions out there that could be answered.
The stamp guys are using xrf and sometimes one other, But the sample area isn't usually big enough to get info without having to wreck an already damaged stamp as a reference (Like to have the data for the paper so it can be backed out of the overall stamp leaving the spectrum for the ink.)

I think that what I might try for the stamp concern is a scanning electron microscope with an EDAX attached. Unless the stamp was oversized you shouldn't have to damage it. Reference would be important for that application as I don't think I could put the composition together from an elemental scan as I don't know enough about the stamp paper composition/ glue backing/ ink top coats in that industry. You might need a combination of tools. The Smith's Detection ATR FTIRs are great, but you would probably crush a portion of the stamp.

steve B 02-08-2024 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel (Post 2411278)
I think that what I might try for the stamp concern is a scanning electron microscope with an EDAX attached. Unless the stamp was oversized you shouldn't have to damage it. Reference would be important for that application as I don't think I could put the composition together from an elemental scan as I don't know enough about the stamp paper composition/ glue backing/ ink top coats in that industry. You might need a combination of tools. The Smith's Detection ATR FTIRs are great, but you would probably crush a portion of the stamp.

The work that's being done is impressive so far.

"the plates wore out too fast because the pigment was rust"
Xref says..... no iron present. And by the way brown, red brown and dark brown are chemically identical.....

I wouldn't mind seeing that sort of thing applied to maybe brown/black Lenox, or Blue Old mill.

I can make some guesses about the paper composition, but things were weird back around 1910. Lots of technology changes both in papers and inks.

jjbond 02-08-2024 07:40 PM

I don't care that they scratch or break.
I just want them to be made with a UV blocker....

jchcollins 02-09-2024 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjbond (Post 2411426)
I don't care that they scratch or break.
I just want them to be made with a UV blocker....

Agreed. To me this is just the graders being cheap. Also given the grade of plastic they use, I would imagine they haven't found a great way to put the UV coating on and keep it looking decent.

Many of the magnetic cases (UltraPro, ProMold) do have UV protection and that is good, but you can always see at least a light film on the cases and junk sometimes from that if you hold them in a certain light. Again my guess is that PSA, et al. haven't found a way yet to make that suit their budget. The plastic that UltraPro uses is slightly thicker and would seem to be of better quality.

steve B 02-09-2024 08:04 AM

Polycarbonate blocks essentially all UV we would be concerned with.
Polystyrene blocks about 98%

So both are effective UV blocking materials.

Even toploaders block some UV, although the older ones are readily damaged by it they do protect the contents.

jjbond 02-09-2024 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 2411473)
Agreed. To me this is just the graders being cheap. Also given the grade of plastic they use, I would imagine they haven't found a great way to put the UV coating on and keep it looking decent.

Many of the magnetic cases (UltraPro, ProMold) do have UV protection and that is good, but you can always see at least a light film on the cases and junk sometimes from that if you hold them in a certain light. Again my guess is that PSA, et al. haven't found a way yet to make that suit their budget. The plastic that UltraPro uses is slightly thicker and would seem to be of better quality.

Besides making it a better product, I always thought it would be a good business investment for the grading company. Back when I collected comics, I marveled that you could have a slabbed NM comic that had since suffered significant fading while in the slab. Slabs, and their labeled grades, are effectively advertisements for the grading company, and a faded card should have a matching grade if we want to trust the grading company.